treated badly by royal caribbean

willow1uk

5 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Sue them!

As a European they owe you 150% of the cruise fare for compensation if you booked from a European POS.

Use your European consumer rights - get a lawyer! 👍

A simple change in ports visited midcruise is not eligible for fare compensation, much less at 150%.  Even if bought in Europe.  Yes, we have more protection than American bookings, but not even close to this.  I don't think any lines would sell to Europeans at all if weather related port changes meant they had to refund passengers 150 percent!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxHadleyxx said:

A simple change in ports visited midcruise is not eligible for fare compensation, much less at 150%.  Even if bought in Europe.  Yes, we have more protection than American bookings, but not even close to this.  I don't think any lines would sell to Europeans at all if weather related port changes meant they had to refund passengers 150 percent!   

The ship was believed by some to be unseaworthy due to a faulty stabiliser, backed up by press reports. I think given those facts, even if later proved to be wrong could influence a higher compensation payment.

Edited by Redrobo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Redrobo said:

The ship was believed by some to be unseaworthy due to a faulty stabiliser, backed up by press reports. I think given those facts, even if later proved to be wrong could influence a higher compensation payment.

Exactly! Burden of proof would be with RCI that they were NOT effected by that! Also other lines were sailing that route during that time frame so the excuse "weather" will not hold up in court - also they changed DAYS before departure as a precaution - a good lawyer will argue the other lines were fine... and will win as RCI will not be able to proof otherwise! 🙄

Also they kept the port charges.... that will finally break their neck as judges will see that as evil conduct! 😈

I know the cheerleaders do not like these facts! 😁

• Like 1

I looked up the EU rules.  Nope.

Based on EU Passenger rights laws, basically as long as the ship gets from where it was supposed to leave to where it is supposed to go, when it was supposed to get there, there's no compensation.  And it did.  

There's no compensation because someone THINKS something is wrong with the ship, unless the cruise is cancelled or delayed due to there actually being something wrong.  This did not happen.

Port changes to allow for something possibly going wrong are also not covered unless the something wrong actually happens.

Now, port fees on the other hand might be a valid issue UNLESS the port fees for the new itinerary were higher than the old ones, in which case if RCCL kept the lower total they are fine (which is possible, european port charges tend to be higher than US ones).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Redrobo said:

Are you seriously suggesting that because there were, apparently unfounded, RUMORS, that the ship was not sea worthy, passengers should be compensated?

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Exactly! Burden of proof would be with RCI that they were NOT effected by that! Also other lines were sailing that route during that time frame so the excuse "weather" will not hold up in court - also they changed DAYS before departure as a precaution - a good lawyer will argue the other lines were fine... and will win as RCI will not be able to proof otherwise! 🙄

Also they kept the port charges.... that will finally break their neck as judges will see that as evil conduct! 😈

I know the cheerleaders do not like these facts! 😁

So having crossed the Atlantic on the dates planned without issue isn't enough  proof that the ship  was seaworthy?

I thought multiple ships set to cross that route at that time changed plans to avoid a storm?

And large storms at sea often build slowly and stay put. Knowing a couple of days ahead of time is not unusual.  Similarly, we now usually know a few days ahead of time where a hurricane is likely to make landfall.

I'm not being a cheerleader.  I'm calling it like I see it. And in this case I think RCI was extremely generous to passengers whose ports were changed.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Little Britain...accurate information.

We sailed on the Navigator from October 26, 2018 to December 2, 2018.

Yes, our itinerary changed when we had an emergency stop in Vigo.

Passengers on this sailing were offered 25% FCC and 25% OBC based on their cabins...we thought that was reasonable.

Yes, our itinerary changed again for the crossing...twice.  Passengers on this sailing were offered 25% FCC and 25% OBC, and/or a full refund if you choose not to sail....we thought it was reasonable.

Yes, the Navigator made it to Miami.  We stayed onboard for 2 more sailings out of Miami...by the end of our cruise, no one knew about, or cared, or talked about what happened in Vigo or the crossing...it was ancient history.

RCCL was fair.  We had a wonderful time.  It was our choice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redrobo said:

"Believed by some" .... "Press reports"..

Must be fact then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We booked this cruise just a couple of months before the sail date as a pre Christmas chill out. We then spent a lot of time organizing our tours for Boston and New York and were gutted to be told a few days prior to departure that we were unable to visit these ports. Like the OP we had spent £700 each on flights, hotels and transport, all of which would have been non refundable. However, unlike the OP, we felt that RC would not make a decision like this lightly. After much discussion and soul searching, our party of 4 made the decision to continue with the cruise. What a great decision that was! From the moment we went to book in at the terminal in Southampton it was obvious that the staff were pulling out all the stops to make our cruise special. There was still a great deal of whinging and whining on the ship but senior staff made themselves available to discuss individual issues. The food, entertainment and crew were amazing,  with a much higher standard of service than we received on our 4 previous RC cruises. The ship sailed with only 2/3rds of the passengers and the opportunity to upgrade our accommodation for $150 per cabin was a real bonus. (Especially as we received $100 OBC per cabin for the disappointment) We were refunded our pre booked tours and the port taxes for Boston and New York. After an absolutely brilliant holiday we returned home relaxed and refreshed with a 25% FCC, in our case only £98, but hey, better than nothing. We might not have got to New York but we had a wonderful time. It’s a shame that a 1000+ passengers chose not to travel and missed out on this experience and an even bigger shame that some of those people are continuing to get themselves worked up over this event.

Linda Collins

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LindaRochdale said:

The ship sailed with only 2/3rds of the passengers and the opportunity to upgrade our accommodation for $150 per cabin was a real bonus. (Especially as we received $100 OBC per cabin for the disappointment) We were refunded our pre booked tours and the port taxes for Boston and New York. After an absolutely brilliant holiday we returned home relaxed and refreshed with a 25% FCC, in our case only £98, but hey, better than nothing. We might not have got to New York but we had a wonderful time. It’s a shame that a 1000+ passengers chose not to travel and missed out on this experience

I'd pay extra to sail on a ship that was only 2/3 full.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dear Wil, We can truly sympathize with your plight.  We ourselves ran into some unexpected minor "fine print' issues recently as well and published our own thread to make others aware of the pit-falls, just like you are doing with your thread. Having read through all the responses to your unfortunate plight, we see that you are being attacked like we are for our lack of knowledge dealing with cruise lines,etc. Your thread has been very helpful to us. A lot of the responses are quite helpful and we found many great tips that should help us all in our future endeavors. May we point out Host Clarea, emdia43, and swoopy2110 to name just a few with really helpful approaches. We also learned a lot with those posts mentioning travel insurance, types available,etc..

Of course, we also take umbrage at some of the same' holier than thou' unsympathetic fraternity/sorority posters lambasting you for your (our) naivete. We hope everything works out  for you and yours. Have a happy new year and Godspeed!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

Of course, we also take umbrage at some of the same' holier than thou' unsympathetic fraternity/sorority posters lambasting you for your (our) naivete. We hope everything works out  for you and yours. Have a happy new year and Godspeed!

O good grief

jc

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear Wil, We can truly sympathize with your plight.  We ourselves ran into some unexpected minor "fine print' issues recently as well and published our own thread to make others aware of the pit-falls, just like you are doing with your thread. Having read through all the responses to your unfortunate plight, we see that you are being attacked like we are for our lack of knowledge dealing with cruise lines,etc. Your thread has been very helpful to us. A lot of the responses are quite helpful and we found many great tips that should help us all in our future endeavors. May we point out Host Clarea, emdia43, and swoopy2110 to name just a few with really helpful approaches. We also learned a lot with those posts mentioning travel insurance, types available,etc..

Hi Teacher42  whilst I have sympathy for you, I have been following your thread, I lost any sympathy for willow1uk when he posted "i think you are harsh in your comment as this cruise was our yearly holiday andmy brother is disabled. we were unable to find another trip at short notice and i hope this happens to you sometime. my brother is disabled and it was a trip for him. grow up !!!" (post 11). 

Firstly you were not vindictive, in your thread, like willow1uk ("i hope this happens to you sometime.") or petty (" grow up !!!"). You were occasionally sarcastic, which I have no problem with. 

Secondly, from my personal point of view,  you don't book non-refundable extras, i.e hotels, if it is your annual holiday with your disabled brother. If you have to book non-refundable extras then take out adequate insurance to cover your out of pocket expenses.  

By the way I have no problem with peoples naivety but I do have a problem when people turn vindictive and petty, like willow1uk  did in post 11.

• Like 1

Dear Blo,  We naive come on these boards for guidance , not to be judged by a group of pompous ( you know whats). Thank you for some kind words. Yes, you all may be right in your assumptions, we can not all be 'mensa' members like the many posters. Many of you have no courtesy or sympathy for the plights of your fellow travelers. Many of you sit in judgement on these boards. Whenever someone says " I have no problem with 'this or that'. " That is exactly what they have a problem with, 'this or that.' We are only bringing our missteps to the travel boards attention to educate those like us, and perhaps to get future guidance, that will help us all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear Blo,  We naive come on these boards for guidance , not to be judged by a group of pompous ( you know whats). Thank you for some kind words. Yes, you all may be right in your assumptions, we can not all be 'mensa' members like the many posters. Many of you have no courtesy or sympathy for the plights of your fellow travelers. Many of you sit in judgement on these boards. Whenever someone says " I have no problem with 'this or that'. " That is exactly what they have a problem with, 'this or that.' We are only bringing our missteps to the travel boards attention to educate those like us, and perhaps to get future guidance, that will help us all.

So you are being judgemental about people because they are judgemental?  Good one.

We find many on these boards to have no empathy. The same types that you would not want to rub elbows with on a cruise. The type with the philosophy in an emergency ' Every man for himself' instead of 'Women and children first'. These board responses only affirm our misanthropic attitudes toward our fellow man and woman, with exceptions. There are many exceptional posters that we are very thankful for and we would not mind 'breaking bread'. When we go on board we dread showing up to the CC meet and mix for fear of bumping into the 'wrong' board poster.  We are sure that the feeling must be mutual.

Edited by Teacher42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Actually a lot of us have sympathy/empathy for the plights of others.  Where they lose MY sympathy vote is when they don't accept THEY messed up and try to blame someone else.  Accept responsibility for your actions.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 7:16 AM, willow1uk said:

hi guys

we were looking forward to our cruise from southampton to usa and down to miami on 5th november, then on 3rd november RC changed the itinerary to europe and on to miami. we booked almost 1 year before and were devastated. we were offered compensation if did the cruise but nothing but our money back if we cancelled. it took RC 6 weeks to send us a cheque with no compensation. our insurers wouldnt help and we had paid for hotel in miami, flights,hotel in southampton and parking - all lost!!!!! RC kept apologising but dont compensate at all. we had over £1500 of extras lost. they were no help. we ever regretted booking them and although cruised with them before wont do it again. they have a customer charter but broke every 1. we emailed a complaint with no reply and to get my money back was on the phone to miami many times, they find it hard to phone you!!!

So, they offered to compensate you if you took the cruise, which they didn't have to do. Then, they allowed you to cancel, if you wanted to, which they ALSO didn't have to do. Finally, if you did decide to cancel, they would ONLY give you your money back? The nerve! Why just last week I returned a rug at Walmart because it had a snag in it. I told them they should not only refund what I paid for it, but should also compensate me for the time I spent thinking about it, driving to and from the store to buy it, as well as my gas money and the maintenance on my car. Of COURSE they reimbursed me twice what I paid for the rug! What world do you live in?

On 12/31/2018 at 3:49 PM, willow1uk said:

i think you are harsh in your comment as this cruise was our yearly holiday andmy brother is disabled. we were unable to find another trip at short notice and i hope this happens to you sometime. my brother is disabled and it was a trip for him. grow up !!!

You're telling others to grow up? Pot meet kettle. You threw a temper tantrum because the cruise line changed the itinerary FOR YOUR SAFETY, seem to think the world owes you something, used your brother's disability as an excuse and then told a bunch of strangers you hope something bad happens to them. Who exactly needs to grow up in this picture?

Finally, as someone who HAS a disability, I find it especially offensive when someone plays on one to gain sympathy.

Edited by payitforward
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

One must be judgemental to discern right from wrong. Dr. Laura.

Quick question: Are you trying to antagonize people?  Just wondering why? You don't have to give people a reason to give flak, they'll just do it naturally,

If you remember, I did sympathize with your plight on the thread you wrote as did the majority of the posters.  But it appears to me you are more interested in seeking revenge on those that have "wronged" you. Again, not sure why? It's an honest question.

Oh, and you should always use quotation marks (") when quoting a person....Teacher.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

When we go on board we dread showing up to the CC meet and mix for fear of bumping into the 'wrong' board poster.  We are sure that the feeling must be mutual.

You are correct, the feeling is mutual.

OP - you have been lucky to get the compensation you have received from Royal - count your blessings.

• Thanks 1