Mariner veranda cabins

rusty2

Our first Regent cruise will be Alaska in June on Mariner. Questions are about bathrooms in our cabin choice. Bathroom with tub shower or walk-in shower? Looks like many more cabins with the shower only. Were the walk-in showers added during recent renovation? Any pictures?

Thank you.

Many, many past threads on this subject.  Some suites have tub/shower combo's and other suites have walk-in shower only.  You can go on the RSSC website for Mariner and see which suites have the shower only and which suites have the shower/tub combo.  They are clearly "marked" with a "star".  Your TA can also help you with your pick.

The Mariner did have bathtub/shower combos but the bathtub can be a hazard to get into and out of.  For that reason, they changed many (half?) of their suites to shower only (not in the last refurbishment but a few years ago).  These suites sell out first.  I personally recommend the shower only suites (the showers are lovely but I don't have any photos).  

rusty2; believe you will have a blast on your Mariner voyage.  We enjoyed over five weeks on the Mariner, disembarking in mid November.  We stayed in a veranda suite and really enjoyed this suite. The you tube video of suite 931 (Concierge/veranda suite) taken last May below will give u a good idea of your suite.  If you go to about 5:05 minutes into the video, there is good shots of the bathroom and walk in shower.

• Like 1

We just got off Mariner after 44 nights from Honolulu to Sydney.  We were in a  Penthouse, but had the Bath/Shower combo.  I do not think the bathroom is any different than in a Veranda.  I would HIGHLY recommend a shower only if possible.  The tub is small and a bit narrow.  The ceiling is very low.  It is a big step to get in and out.  We had many at sea days, some of them fairly rough. Climbing into and out of the tub was...dicey.  Given the demographics of Regent I'm surprised they don't change all cabins to showers.  People with mobility issues must really have difficulty.  One person we met had to change staterooms (luckily one was available), as she could not physically climb into the tub.  Another person we met was 6'5"!  He had to nearly double over to fit into the tub. 

So, don't fear the tub, and it certainly shouldn't be a "deal breaker."  We had a remarkable cruise!  But opt for a shower if possible. 

Edited by papaflamingo

Some people don't like showers.  I used to be in that category and would only book a suite with a bathtub on the Mariner.  I didn't find it hard to get in and out of the bathtub at all - then!    However some taller people complain about the ceiling height over the tub.   Now (sadly...) I can't get in and out of bathtubs I prefer the showers!!  So probably a good thing to have a choice of both.  Best of all are the Navigator, Voyager and Explorer that have BOTH tubs and showers in the bathrooms...

Another vote for the shower-only suites on Mariner.

When the showers were installed they used the full area that was previously occupied by the bathtub, so the shower is a good size with a seat/shelf at one end.

During the most recent refurbishment some suites had the shower fittings replaced. Good overhead "rain head" plus a hand held wand.

IMG_0678.thumb.jpg.1a2c5412fdeea49c8fdffdf5b897555b.jpg

Our first and only (so far!) Regent Cruise was on the Mariner, Seward to Vancouver, May of last year. Fabulous, perfect cruise!   We loved our suite, which had a bathtub/shower combo.  (Mariner suite.). Have a wonderful trip!  We can’t wait to cruise Regent again!   

44 minutes ago, Pinksunset said:

Our first and only (so far!) Regent Cruise was on the Mariner, Seward to Vancouver, May of last year. Fabulous, perfect cruise!   We loved our suite, which had a bathtub/shower combo.  (Mariner suite.). Have a wonderful trip!  We can’t wait to cruise Regent again!   

If you enjoyed the Mariner's veranda suites, wait until you see the other ships!  They have bathtubs (not difficult to get into or out of like on Mariner) and showers and the suites are larger.

We were on the Mariner in October, the last time was four years ago. Finally got a walk in shower, loved it, they were always gone by the time we booked before. On the Voyager and the Navigator, the smallest cabins are huge and have both a separate bath tub and a walk in shower.  

The Mariner lower category suites (below penthouse) originally had the tub/shower combo. I believe some of these suites were converted to shower only at an early dry dock. The tub/shower combo creates difficulties as there is only 6' 2" of headroom from bottom of tub to ceiling.  You don't have to be tall for this to be a problem. I am 5' 8" tall, and had problems washing my hair" The side width is also very narrow.  The floor of the tub is about 8" above the bathroom floor, creating problems for those with back or leg problems. I recommend having your TA ensure you get a shower only suite at time of booking, and reconsider if this can't be done. 

We were last on the Mariner in a "Category H guarantee" which sailed in March, 2017. But my wife had to have major back surgery the month before (after booking) and medically needed the shower only suite. Our TA contacted Regent who wouldn't give us a "shower only" guarantee unless we paid $1000 pp more for a concierge suite (which is identical to a category H in size and amenities). I advised my wife that we should cancel, using our travel insurance, but she insisted we go anyway, so we did. Strangely, we had booked this ship "Category H guarantee" before and were given on of the H suites with shower only. 

I know it is unsettled legally whether cruise lines with a US headquarters must comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) or not. However, considering all our past Regent cruises, I feel we were poorly accommodated by Regent, and virtually extorted out of $2000. Despite our long past record of good experiences with Regent (Radisson) in the long past, and I haven't been able to bring myself to book Regent since that last experience.

51 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

The Mariner lower category suites (below penthouse) originally had the tub/shower combo. I believe some of these suites were converted to shower only at an early dry dock. The tub/shower combo creates difficulties as there is only 6' 2" of headroom from bottom of tub to ceiling.  You don't have to be tall for this to be a problem. I am 5' 8" tall, and had problems washing my hair" The side width is also very narrow.  The floor of the tub is about 8" above the bathroom floor, creating problems for those with back or leg problems. I recommend having your TA ensure you get a shower only suite at time of booking, and reconsider if this can't be done. 

We were last on the Mariner in a "Category H guarantee" which sailed in March, 2017. But my wife had to have major back surgery the month before (after booking) and medically needed the shower only suite. Our TA contacted Regent who wouldn't give us a "shower only" guarantee unless we paid $1000 pp more for a concierge suite (which is identical to a category H in size and amenities). I advised my wife that we should cancel, using our travel insurance, but she insisted we go anyway, so we did. Strangely, we had booked this ship "Category H guarantee" before and were given on of the H suites with shower only. 

I know it is unsettled legally whether cruise lines with a US headquarters must comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) or not. However, considering all our past Regent cruises, I feel we were poorly accommodated by Regent, and virtually extorted out of $2000. Despite our long past record of good experiences with Regent (Radisson) in the long past, and I haven't been able to bring myself to book Regent since that last experience.

I feel for you!  I certainly wish they gave out "shower only guarantees" on Mariner too.  Perhaps they should convert more next during the next drydock, but then there are all the "tub people" who would complain.

We too did an H GTY a couple of years back, and ended up with the disabled cabin on deck 8, an F maybe?  It was fine, although a little messy since the shower was not contained at all (for wheelchair access), and there was no walk-in closet (but adequate storage, I thought.)

I was looking at a possible cruise yesterday, and realized that virtually all the shower cabins were taken up to concierge level.  

As for the ADA, well, that's why they are foreign flagged, right?  Too bad.

34 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I feel for you!  I certainly wish they gave out "shower only guarantees" on Mariner too.  Perhaps they should convert more next during the next drydock, but then there are all the "tub people" who would complain.

We too did an H GTY a couple of years back, and ended up with the disabled cabin on deck 8, an F maybe?  It was fine, although a little messy since the shower was not contained at all (for wheelchair access), and there was no walk-in closet (but adequate storage, I thought.)

I was looking at a possible cruise yesterday, and realized that virtually all the shower cabins were taken up to concierge level.  

As for the ADA, well, that's why they are foreign flagged, right?  Too bad.

There is nothing inherently wrong with shower/tub combos for those without some sort of disability, but the ones on the Mariner were mis-designed from the get-go. I have a tub/shower combo in the guest portion of my home. But the bottom of the tub is even with the floor, not 8" above it. The headroom from the tub bottom to the ceiling is 9', not 6'2".  Nine feet is enough for most NBA players! And my tub here is not as narrow as those on the Mariner. So I advise all to book  so as not to have any risk of getting one of those tub/shower combinations on the Mariner. The way to do this is to book a specific cabin, and not an H guarantee. And if you can't get the cabin you want on a certain cruise, look at other dates or other lines. 

Another thing is that we found nothing any better in a concierge suite than cat. H. No more space, no more service, nothing to justify the higher price. 

I won't discuss the ADA and cruise lines beyond what I have, because such would get into the area of politics, which (rightfully) is not allowed on this board. I will say that we bought travel insurance to cover exactly this situation of a medical disability that happens after booking, but we did not use it at my wife's request, and we could have and should have. But the fact that Regent did not accommodate us, as Gold level repeat cruisers of over 15 years, has given me a mental block against booking Regent again. None of us can change the law, its scope, or its enforcement. But we can vote with our wallets.

Edited by Dolebludger

Dolebludger:  I understand your point of view but also Regent's.  If they did not have a shower-only suite available, they would have had to move another paying customer that likely did not want a bathtub suite into one.  Agree that people that want or need a specific type suite or one in a specific area should not book a guarantee.  

In terms of concierge suites being the same as lower suites - you are correct there as well.  While I did not like it when Regent put the concierge program in place, I understood why they did it.  All of the suites on Mariner and Voyager (and the balcony suites on Navigator) are the same and therefore it was difficult to book the more expensive suites.  The only way to get passengers to book them was to give additional benefits (or, I guess they could have priced them all the same which likely would mean that the current lowest category would cost more money).  Interestingly, most of the benefits offered in concierge suites are already benefits that some levels of the Seven Seas Society have.  So, you get a better location and some mediocre benefits for the extra money.

TC2,

Certainly, we wouldn't  have expected Regent to change another guests' booking for us. But as we had a cat. H guarantee (meaning H or better) they could have done what they did on the Voyager when we had an H guarantee back in 2004 and they upgraded us to cat. C for no reason at all, and for free. They could have upgraded us to concierge (as it was an identical suite with identical services) for free -- especially as this time we did have a reason. And obviously there was availability there -- but only for sale. It is part our fault as we should have cancelled and used our travel insurance. But it is part Regent's fault -- enough so that Regent will have to do something special to clear my mental block against booking them again.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

TC2,

Certainly, we wouldn't  have expected Regent to change another guests' booking for us. But as we had a cat. H guarantee (meaning H or better) they could have done what they did on the Voyager when we had an H guarantee back in 2004 and they upgraded us to cat. C for no reason at all, and for free. They could have upgraded us to concierge (as it was an identical suite with identical services) for free -- especially as this time we did have a reason. And obviously there was availability there -- but only for sale. It is part our fault as we should have cancelled and used our travel insurance. But it is part Regent's fault -- enough so that Regent will have to do something special to clear my mental block against booking them again.

I think that the issue is that you booked a guarantee which is definitely a risk.   And, as you know, in 2004, Regent was under private ownership.  Since then, there have been two owners and many things have changed.  

You are right that the issue was about money.  Regent can do upsells and at least make some money. Unfortunately, "guarantees" are pretty much the least expensive way to get onto Regent and they likely would not upgrade you to a concierge suite without a charge.  

You seem to be happy with other cruise lines (although we would never again going a luxury section of a  mainstream cruise line (such as MSC).  In addition to the ship not being a total luxury ship, they make announcements, etc. in six languages (according to their website).  We've "been there - done that" on Celebrity and NCL and it was simply not for us.

We cancelled a Regent cruise several years ago at the last minute, due to health issues. Full payment was made before the cancellation. We had private travel insurance and collected the amount we had spent. 

Regent now had our full payment and gave us nothing in return. If they did an upsell on our suite, they made additional money. 

Hopefully, they used it to upgrade someone for no charge. The ship was fully booked at that time. If they booked a new client, they made, at least, twice the money. 

This was the only time we felt taken advantage of. 

I was disappointed in not being able to retrieve anything from Regent. Not even the sailing nights toward SSS status. 

So goes it! Still a Regent fan!  

Sheila

9 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We cancelled a Regent cruise several years ago at the last minute, due to health issues. Full payment was made before the cancellation. We had private travel insurance and collected the amount we had spent. 

Regent now had our full payment and gave us nothing in return. If they did an upsell on our suite, they made additional money. 

Hopefully, they used it to upgrade someone for no charge. The ship was fully booked at that time. If they booked a new client, they made, at least, twice the money. 

This was the only time we felt taken advantage of. 

I was disappointed in not being able to retrieve anything from Regent. Not even the sailing nights toward SSS status. 

So goes it! Still a Regent fan!  

Sheila

I guess all one can say is, "that's the way it's done".  In the cruise industry generally, probably so.  I understand how you would feel, although at least you had good insurance coverage.  I'm sure this type of situation is part of their bottom line planning.

• Like 1

Wendy, 

I can see where you are coming from. We have a condo that we lease for short terms to people on vacation. If somebody cancels at the last minute after signing the lease and paying up front, the law says I can keep all their money, only if I make a good faith effort to find another lessee and can't do so. But nothing in the corporate tourist industry (cruise lines, hotels, resorts) works that way.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:53 PM, Dolebludger said:

I won't discuss the ADA and cruise lines beyond what I have, because such would get into the area of politics, which (rightfully) is not allowed on this board. I will say that we bought travel insurance to cover exactly this situation of a medical disability that happens after booking, but we did not use it at my wife's request, and we could have and should have. But the fact that Regent did not accommodate us, as Gold level repeat cruisers of over 15 years, has given me a mental block against booking Regent again. None of us can change the law, its scope, or its enforcement. But we can vote with our wallets.

Not to argue, and I am a new Regent cruiser so not "cheerleading," but the reason a guarantee is priced lower or offered at all is that there are no more cabins in the category so you get whatever opens up in that category or higher.  I did 44 nights in a suite on Mariner with a tub/shower.  I really wanted a shower only, but it wasn't available in a PH-C.  It was in a PH-A, but for higher cost.  I decided it wasn't worth it to me so I stayed in my original cabin.  So, if you paid for an H cabin, but the only shower only cabin was a PH-A, and were upgraded free because you wanted a shower only cabin, I have to say I'd be upset by that.  

I appreciate your situation.  But you chose to go ahead with the cruise knowing full well you would likely get a tub/shower combo as that is the least sought after configuration.  When that cabin assignment came through, you really had a choice of accepting it, paying for an upgrade, or cancelling your cruise and using your insurance.    

I believe that you will find that the same will happen on any cruise line you choose to cruise on.  It's unfortunate, but the event of a disability occurring after final payment is exactly what insurance is for.  Your choice to not cancel is not Regent's fault, it's your choice.  Just imagine showing up to Explorer with an H guarantee, then having a fall and needing a shower only, with the only shower only cabin being the Regent Suite.  A free upgrade to a $10,000 a day suite would be pretty "sweet."   But simply isn't goin to happen.  Same with airlines.  You pay basic coach, but need a first class seat, the airline won't upgrade you for free.  

• Like 3

I don’t know what other lines would have done, because I haven’t cruised other lines more times than I can count over the last 16 years. That should count for something. Also, I don’t know of any ship on any line that has bathing facilities as difficult to enter as the Mariner shower/tub combo. Even persons without disabilities find it difficult.

i agree with you that I should have cancelled on my travel insurance. But my wife had such a difficult surgical recovery that she persuaded me to give her this break. Soft hearted me, until we returned and I found the fare difference to be LESS than what was extorted from me. It wasn’t a good deal at all (Forgetting about the disability). That is why I can’t bring myself to book Regent again.

I was a “Regent cheerleader” and Radisson before that. But TC2 is right. It used to be a privately owned company, and now is part of a corporation, and treatment of guests has changed — and not for the better. 

We did enjoy this cruise onboard, but despise our treatment from the home office.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I found the fare difference to be LESS than what was extorted from me. 

I have to ask, how was money "extorted" from you?  You mean that because you chose to cruise rather than use your insurance and book at a later time, and Regent held to the terms of their contract, that they "extorted" money from you?  

On 1/8/2019 at 8:48 PM, Dolebludger said:

Wendy, 

I can see where you are coming from. We have a condo that we lease for short terms to people on vacation. If somebody cancels at the last minute after signing the lease and paying up front, the law says I can keep all their money, only if I make a good faith effort to find another lessee and can't do so. But nothing in the corporate tourist industry (cruise lines, hotels, resorts) works that way.

Here in Switzerland there are a lot of hotels in mountain resorts with 30 day cancellation policies - cancel within this time and you forfeit your entire cost of stay UNLESS they can re-rent the room.  In which case you get a 100% refund.  I think cruise lines should be like that!

• Like 1