Staying on the ship in Alaska Ports

Annicruise2014

I haven't been on an AK cruise yet.  However, in some ports in other areas we've cruised there really isn't anything that interests us.  We will usually get off the ship just to walk around for a bit and back on the ship.  A lot of ship attractions are closed, or they have limited hours (usually opening up a couple hours before sailaway).  

If you google the respective lines cruise itinerary guide you should be able to find the daily itinerary for the days you are thinking of staying in port and that could help you decide what is going on. 

I agree with the others though, at least get off the boat, you don't have to be up early and gangway busting the ship, get off when you want and stroll through town.  Maybe something will catch your eye and maybe it won't.  You could plan your time when you get off the ship the night before by looking at the daily and see what interests you the day in port.  

Oh if you are into the spa a lot have spa specials on port days so that might be something to do if you stay on. 

• 5 months later...

I realize that this is a (very) late response, but I feel a need to offer a different opinion on this topic. 

We are leaving in two days on an inside passage cruise, R/T Seattle, on Celebrity Solstice. Over this past week, temperatures have been averaging 105-110 degrees here in Scottsdale. We did this same cruise 5 years ago. Alaska is magnificent, but for us it’s not just about spending every possible minute off of the ship and seeing every last thing. It’s also about the opportunity to spend quality time together away from the oppressive heat. A bonus is that Seattle is only a 3 hour flight from Phoenix and in the same time zone, with a much lower airfare than to the East Coast (at least this time).

So we get everything we love about cruising by going to Alaska- beautiful sights, sea days, and a great on board experience. Five years ago, my husband wasn’t feeling well and we decided to stay on board in Juneau. It was a quiet, lovely day spent watching the rain and the fog with a hot drink and a good book. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

To each their own, right???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, Annicruise2014 said:

What are your thoughts on staying on the ship in Alaska and Canada ports?  It's not warm like in the Caribbean and you can lay out on the deck. Are there things planned for those that stay on the ship?

I'll bet you'll have the pools pretty much to yourself :=]

radiance-indoor-pool.jpg

radiance-outdoor-pool.jpg

kids-stuff.jpg

I realize this thread was bumped, so I'll put in my 2 cents. 😊 OP seems to be given somewhat of a hard time here about possibly staying on board in Alaskan ports. It's my opinion that on your cruise, you can do what you want to do for the reason to want to do it. Personally, I would echo bbdscruise's sentiments above by saying that it's just nice to spend time together and relax. I am in cancer treatment right now and will not be doing anything strenuous on our upcoming Alaskan cruise (translation: we'll probably stay on board, or just walk around the immediate port area). Frankly, I'm just happy to still be here and so is my husband! We look forward to a quieter paced trip this time around, just the two of us.

Indeed, Alaska is magnificent.... but sometimes spending time with your loved ones is even more wonderful. 💖

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I realize this thread was bumped, so I'll put in my 2 cents. 😊 OP seems to be given somewhat of a hard time here about possibly staying on board in Alaskan ports. It's my opinion that on your cruise, you can do what you want to do for the reason to want to do it. Personally, I would echo bbdscruise's sentiments above by saying that it's just nice to spend time together and relax. I am in cancer treatment right now and will not be doing anything strenuous on our upcoming Alaskan cruise (translation: we'll probably stay on board, or just walk around the immediate port area). Frankly, I'm just happy to still be here and so is my husband! We look forward to a quieter paced trip this time around, just the two of us.

Indeed, Alaska is magnificent.... but sometimes spending time with your loved ones is even more wonderful. 💖

Well said! I hope you have a wonderful trip.

• Like 1

I'm just back from back-to-back cruises on the Island Princess. I got off at every port. But since I knew I was going back to Juneau and Skagway on my second cruise, I did not do as much in them on the way up. On my northbound cruise, I took the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and enjoyed walking the trail to Nugget Falls, the visitors' center, and another couple of trails. After getting back to the ship for lunch, I decided to stay onboard rather than go back out. On my return visit on the southbound cruise, I walked to the State Museum, the whale sculpture, the governor's mansion, capitol, and the shops along the way. I ate lunch at a couple of the food stands in town--salmon chowder at one and a king crab leg taco at another. It was a good day.

On my northbound cruise, I walked to the Gold Rush cemetery and Lower Reid Falls plus a few of the shops. On the southbound cruise, I rented a bike and rode out Dyea Road toward the Chilkoot Trail. I ate lunch at Olivia's, then stopped by the National Park Service for the free tour of Soapy Smith's Parlor. 

If you stay on the ship in Whittier you are going to miss out on this: Taken yesterday from the Klondike, a small vessel used for shore excrusions there, 5.5 hour "Philip's 26 Glacier Cruise". 

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 113.JPG

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 048.JPG

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 120.JPG

Edited by kennicott
  • Like 2

This will be our third year in a row going to Alaska. We chose to go to Alaska because it is only about an hour drive to Seattle for us and it is wonderful to not have to fly somewhere to go on a cruise for a change. We are celebrating our anniversary, the kids stay home with Grandma, and we just want to relax. Last year we only got off in one port. We don't book excursions and prefer to stay on the ship and hang out by the pool or in the hot tubs. For us the ship is the destination. We relax and enjoy each other the whole time. We appreciate the beauty of Alaska but for us it's not too different from where we live.

My point is, it's your vacation so you should do what you want to do. That's what we love about cruising. You can do it all or nothing at all!

• Like 4

Goodness, there are some people who think their way is the only way!  (and others with sensible posts)  I hope you can filter out the opinions but take in the facts.  There are great things to do in the ports for little or no money, and some uniquely beautiful things to experience for a lot of money.  There is also a beautiful ship you can enjoy with no crowds.  It's your holiday.  Make an informed choice and do what you want, even if it is sitting in a hot tub.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, moneeman said:

Goodness, there are some people who think their way is the only way!  (and others with sensible posts)  I hope you can filter out the opinions but take in the facts.  There are great things to do in the ports for little or no money, and some uniquely beautiful things to experience for a lot of money.  There is also a beautiful ship you can enjoy with no crowds.  It's your holiday.  Make an informed choice and do what you want, even if it is sitting in a hot tub.  Have a great cruise!

I don't think that is the intention.    Indeed  Alaska is magnificent-  add to the mix, it isn't a frequent trip for most,  takes time and money getting there.      The ports are excellent,  with multiple activities available in each.   Unlike the Caribbean-   each is very different and unlike the others.     I think the point is the enthusiasm of the wonderful experiences available and perhaps-  giving priority to not missing out.   

I know,  I see something new every time, and  my priority is off the ship,  enjoying Alaska.    I just spent 6 weeks inside passage simply-   filled my days-   with Alaska.   :)    

Everyone-   have a GREAT trip.     

We were there the first 2 weeks of June...the scenery from the ship was awesome!  Lots to see just sitting on a deck or from our balcony!  We did do excursions, but also had some quiet time on the ship.  In Juneau our balcony faced the land, I sat on our balcony and watched the eagles soaring over Mt. Roberts!  If you like fabric, or yarn, there are great shops in Skagway! 

Nothing wrong with staying on the ship  in a port (we have often done it in the Caribbean and also at times in Europe).  Folks do this for various reasons including medical constraints, mobility challenges or perhaps because they just want a relaxing day onboard.  Why not :).  Will we do it on an Alaskan cruise?  Probably not because we are still healthy (and mobile) and are only taking our 2nd Alaskan cruise.  But if we had been to Alaska many times we would very likely stay aboard in 1 or more ports.

I should add that DW and usually love our port days aboard a ship.  The vessel is pretty empty, you can get any seat you please, the lunch buffet has no lines, service is good, and it is a relaxing day.

Hank

• Like 1

I concur with lots of what is written. Langley I hear you about being together after medical issues, right there with you on that. We are on the Seabourn August 8 cruise and it is a very nature intensive cruise with very little time actually spent in a port. Many of the excursions are Zodiacs off the back of the boat. So I think with the size of our ship we will be getting pretty upclose and personal with the nature along the way. I did book an excursion to see Otters off Ketchikan, but not sure yet what to do at other ports. Can't see taking any kind of boat ride that ends with a dinner - considering our ship. What would be the point?  I do plan to walk around a bit in Sitka and will do some sort of tour up to Mendenhall in Juneau, otherwise I haven't scheduled anything.

All the best to all of us. I hope the weather is cool. We are also from the hot south of Florida, so looking for an escape.

• Like 1

In the 15 or 16 cruises to Alaska I've known a few people who haven't gotten off the ship at any of the Ports. Most were older folks who couldn't get around very well. A few years ago I met a couple who spent the entire Alaska cruise season from May to September riding the Golden Princess out of Seattle, they never got off the ship except in Seattle to re-board. He said it was less expensive than staying home in Arizona.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:34 AM, kkmiausa said:

We are on the Seabourn August 8 cruise and it is a very nature intensive cruise with very little time actually spent in a port.

We did Seabourn in Alaska last Sept - we did have quite a few ports which we enjoyed, but also loved being on the ship. The Ventures team was AMAZING - loved every lecture! (which are replayed on tv in your cabin if you miss the lecture - I liked to have them on while we were getting ready for dinner). If they do a wildlife sighting event on deck, try to go! We were up on the bow with a couple of the Venture team naturalists during a particular wildlife-filled passage (can't remember where now but I'll check my husband's photos if it's important to you) and we saw so many things - everyone helping each other spot the water spouts or the interesting birds or whatever it was. The first hour was exceedingly windy so only a handful of us out there - calmed down the 2nd hour so there were 20-30 of us there (more were on another deck with other naturalists and they had radios to make sure everyone spotted the same things....)

We also did one of the zodiac excursions and it was probably our favorite of the trip. Possible the favorite of any of our Alaska trips and that includes land & cruises 😉 

Thank you. Enjoy your upcoming trips!  Oceania is my next favorite line. We did the Eastern Caribbean with them a year ago and it was wonderful as always. However we did miss a few ports due to weather constraints. Went in February.  Favorite ship is the Riviera. 

I am not a fan of the Caribbean but the in-laws want us to cruise with them (it's been a few years) and we've been wanting to try Oceania, so we agreed. I'd say I don't care at all about the ports except all but 1 (I think - Barbados we've been to) are brand new to me, so I at least have to get off the ship and look around. But beach excursions are not at all my thing, that will definitely be a case of cruising for the shipboard experience 😉 And we will be on the Riviera.

Edited by Hoyaheel

My parents who were in their 80's at the time did venture to do a little shopping but IMHO could have considered that like shopping on the ship and put them in the didn't venture off the boat.   It one port they did take the scenic train and found that while interesting not worth it for price and effort and what they got.

No crime, enjoyed great meals, no crowds and spent little.  They still had their gorgeous scenic inside passage and two glacier viewings, a few formal breakfast/lunch and 6 sit down timeless dinners with grandkids ( they enjoyed hearing about our helicopter/dog-sledding, fishing and whale watching ) but it was their choice and joy to not experience.  Everyone COT is different, and the ship w/o the crowds could be a dream vacation for some.

Edited by chipmaster