DIY wedding, no package?

marvelmom428

Hi, 

Leaving for the Bahamas in March and we are headed to half moon cay and Nassau. We’ve been together for 7 years and have 3 kids together. So we are wanting to “symbolically” tie the knot and my question is... would we be allowed to get all dressed up and exchange our vows somewhere on the ship (within the time frame of 10-5 min) with our friends and family (who are also booked) without purchasing a package. I don’t want to plan everything out only to be interrupted and cut off by the employees saying that it’s not allowed. I’ve looked everywhere but didn’t know the right key words I guess to find this topic. Any help is much appreciated!

• Like 1

It would depend. How many people are you planning on?  Do you want to use a specific room or indoor area? Do you want a section of the public area separate from the public?   Do you want chairs, or could you all stand around the rail on an upper deck for ten minutes while folks in bathing suits might wander by?  Do you mind if the band starts playing in the middle of your ceremony or if pool games start?  If you want to do this in a public area, you may be joined by, well, the public.  You cannot have a private room or section of the ship without a package.  I doubt that anybody from the staff would interrupt you, but it may not be as special as you envision.  

I assume you have looked at the renewal of vows package, which is much less costly than the actual wedding package, and which gives you a rather nice, if unofficial, ceremony with the captain, a cake, pictures and a certificate.  

If that is not to your liking, would you consider doing a family shoreside ceremony in Nassau, or perhaps on the balcony of one of the rooms? If that does not work for you, your best chance of a quiet place onboard would be mid-day at a port stop.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 3

Hi,

thank you so much for the reply! There will be 27 of us all together. Our first plan is actually to get off at Half moon cay and get married on the beach but if it gets cancelled due to weather or is just not that great looking of a day then my 2nd plan was to get married in the evening, with all of our friends and family circled around (and who ever passes by lol) on one end of the ship or the other. 

I’m not under the impression that it will be perfectly silent or totally private so no dreams will be crushed in that department 🙂I was just wanting to make sure, since I do know they offer so many packages (none that we were interested in buying) that it wasn’t an actual “rule” of some sort. 

1 hour ago, marvelmom428 said:

Hi,

thank you so much for the reply! There will be 27 of us all together. Our first plan is actually to get off at Half moon cay and get married on the beach but if it gets cancelled due to weather or is just not that great looking of a day then my 2nd plan was to get married in the evening, with all of our friends and family circled around (and who ever passes by lol) on one end of the ship or the other. 

I’m not under the impression that it will be perfectly silent or totally private so no dreams will be crushed in that department 🙂I was just wanting to make sure, since I do know they offer so many packages (none that we were interested in buying) that it wasn’t an actual “rule” of some sort. 

Doing it in the evening onboard the ship may be difficult as most of the public rooms will already be scheduled for something. On deck will be windy once the ship is underway. I would suggest contacting your PVP and asking them for the phone # for the group coordinator for your ship. Call them and ask to use a private space for 30 mins. at some point during the cruise and then work with whatever they give you. At least you'll know you have your plans set.

If you tell us what ship you are on, we might be able to give you some suggestions.  For instance, if it is a Fantasy class, there is the library or piano bar that might suffice.  there is also a little chapel on Half Moon Cay that you might like.  EM

1 hour ago, jakesnana said:

Doing it in the evening onboard the ship may be difficult as most of the public rooms will already be scheduled for something. On deck will be windy once the ship is underway. I would suggest contacting your PVP and asking them for the phone # for the group coordinator for your ship. Call them and ask to use a private space for 30 mins. at some point during the cruise and then work with whatever they give you. At least you'll know you have your plans set.

The only thing I would add to that is don't mention anything relating to a wedding, I'd just say you would like the space for a short family gathering or something. The only reason I say that is to avoid a sales pitch about wedding packages or whatever. I know from personal experience that mentioning anything related to a wedding to a company sets off a KA-CHING! noise.  

• Like 2

We will be on the Carnival Elation. I am familiar with all of the private event and small space options. We really have our hearts set on having it out in the open air. Even if that means just the two of us on the balcony while everyone watches from our suite LOL i know, it's not very romantic or ideal but 7 years and 3 kids later and thats what's "special" to us. I haven't seen any replies that say anyone will prevent us from standing around and exchanging vows on deck somewhere and that was my main concern. Thank you all for your input. 

• Like 1

We renewed our vows on the Half Moon Cay beach and it was awesome. Party was a little less than half of yours. We had rented a Villa which got us on the tender first. Beach was empty and did our quick ceremony and pictures before the beach filled up. Hope it works out for you. I do remember reading people getting married somewhere on the ship without a package while researching what to do for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can always go to one of the clubs/lounges as long as they're not in use. Just check The Fun Times on your Hub App and see what's going on in the lounges/clubs and if nothing is scheduled, you can go there. That's how we arrange meet and greets. 

Pray the beach works out.  We were vacationing in St. John, and were spending an afternoon at Cinnamon Bay.  A group of about 60 very well dressed (so many colors) people walked right out on the beach right in front of where we had our beach chairs.  They asked anyone at the beach to join that cared to, and then had a wedding.  It was amazing.  Hope yours is just as wonderful.

• Like 2

I forget what concierge services Carnival offers but if you are in a suite, you should see what can be done for you . Then there is the CD and staff who are tremendously valuable for special request such as this . They can  do all sort of stuff . Also the Fun Times or at least the daily schedules are available at customer service and these people are also very helpful . You will be able to see what venues are booked . 

Congratulations !

So, we went a similar route for our wedding. We chose a really nice hotel here in Chicago (Kimpton Allegro) because we wanted someplace with would make for great wedding pictures. This inside is beautiful and the outside is very city like (which we wanted). We booked a room for the 2 of us and then booked the restaurant attached for dinner after our "ceremony" and pictures. We wanted to at least be paying customers so we would have more of a leg to stand on lol. One of our close friends officiated the wedding. 

We went to the hotel in advance and scouted rooms and areas for pictures and to hold the 10-20 minute ceremony. Went with our photographer. When we called the hotel and told them our plan, over the phone they seemed hesitant. When we asked in person, they were more open. The room we wanted wasn't booked and they told us as long as it's under an hr, we were good to go.

On the actual day, only one couple walked in. Saw Hubby in his dress blues, me in my dress, and our family gathered around and walked straight out. Didn't bother us. They could've even had a seat if they liked lol. Also, the hotel ended up being super accommodating. 

I guess I say this to assume hotels and cruise ships might work in a similar fashion. Asking in advance, they try to downplay how possible this is since they want money. In reality, if the room isn't being used, and you don't mind people walking in and observing, it probably is no big deal. After all, just like hotels, the ship is a public space. Since you have more people in your party, it might make it a bit more difficult for it to look like a private thing for people on the outside to walk away,  but like I said, if you have no issue with people stopping by, the ship is yours to use.

*hint* public spaces such at nightclub, library or piano bar are less occupied during early daytime hours. 

You could probably use the show lounge if you talk to the CD. There are lots of times during the day when it is not in use. Lots of room to sit down for the guests. Heck...you could probably do it "Live On Stage" at the Love & Marriage show in the lounge...talk to the CD...he hosts it and I bet he would love a different angle on his usual schtick.