? CARRY LUGGAGE ON BOARD

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

We never carried our luggage onto the ship and are considering doing so.  My question, is this allowed we are going on the Elation in three weeks and are Platinum so our rooms are available to us immediately upon boarding.  Does anybody know what deck we board on and any advice that you have whether we should or not carry our luggage on with us?

Your luggage has to fit through the scanner.

We each cruise with one carry on bag and one medium piece of luggage.  We have carried on own on board our last three cruises.  We take it all straight to the cabin.

For us it is easy and hassle free.  We unpack before muster, and when we leave muster it's officially vacation time.

Carrying on is easy as long as you don't have too much luggage and you'll need to be able to lift it on to the scanner belt.   We each had a 26" spinner and a backpack.  Once on the ship, you'll probably have a wait for an elevator but as long as you have some patience it's not a big deal.

We always carry our luggage on board the ship. It is not problem at all. You just need to be able to handle it yourself. It will always fit through the luggage scanner the long way. but you need to be able to lift it onto the table to go through the scanner.

I carry my one 21" piece of luggage with a shoulder bag onto the ship for any cruise I take outside of Europe or Alaska.  I do see people struggling with numerous bags and don't advise anyone to wheel on more than 2 pieces of luggage per person.

I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up on this thread yet. Have you checked into FTTF if you're planning on carrying on your luggage? It is something I do like to do. There are many threads here for pros/cons of FTTF. Me and the DW like to utilize this due to being able to get to our room and drop off the luggage we have instead of toting it around everywhere. Just another option to look at.

2 minutes ago, SlobMike said:

I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up on this thread yet. Have you checked into FTTF if you're planning on carrying on your luggage? It is something I do like to do. There are many threads here for pros/cons of FTTF. Me and the DW like to utilize this due to being able to get to our room and drop off the luggage we have instead of toting it around everywhere. Just another option to look at.

Why would they get FTTF if they are already platinum and have priority cabin access?  

Our last cruise was the first time we did it. I'll never check it in again. Beyond all of the woes you hear of self-carrying that are comparable to a 80 lb bag, on your back, as you climb Mount Everest, it's not so bad. We rolled it around for an extra 5 minutes, and that was it. We didn't have to wait for our bag. We knew it wouldn't get misplaced. I saved myself a $5 tip too.

• Like 1

When Carnival established the FTTF they were only to go back a few years to get my past reservation numbers to add my points on my account and I did not save all the other booking numbers prior and lost all the points.  On another note, I mostly cruise on Royal Caribbean and have taken Princess and NCL cruises, I am not loyal to one cruise line.  On RC I am diamond and heading to diamond plus.  The reason why I stray from RC is because at times I just want a different change of ship/cruise line, different decor, different kind of ship etc.  So yes, I do cruise on different lines, in fact, I am looking to try the Celebrity edge after the Harmony in October.

On our December 2018 cruise we arrived at the terminal less than an hour before the doors closed and after the deadline for having bags taken curbside so we had no choice but to carry on.  There was NO issue with size or weight of bag and it was a smooth process. Botton line -- everything fits through the scanner when it has to.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:48 AM, summersigh said:

Copied from Carnival :

Checked Bag Size Restrictions.

carry-on bags are limited to 16 inches in height and 24 inches in width, with no length restriction. You are allowed two bags per person, and each bag may not exceed 50 pounds.

On our last cruise there were two ladies that carried on their luggage. The were right in front of us. Each had 2 suitcases, 28 to 29" spinners. They held up the entire boarding line every time they came to a turn in the ramp and every time they came to any kind of door. They had to take only one of the suitcases at a time around the corners or through the doors. Then they got into the atrium and they were unable to pull the two suitcases through the narrow line through the atrium over to the elevators. So they did the one at a time thing through the atrium to the elevators going about 5 feet at a time with each suitcase. The we got to the elevator and they tried to stuff all 4 suitcases on the same elevator which was already packed. Kept holding the door open until a couple people got pis...ed and got off the elevator to let them on and let it move. We did not see the fiasco of them getting off because we were waiting for an elevator to come back down for us. Some of the comments of the other people following this clown parade were priceless.

• Haha 1

First thing everyone needs to learn while cruising is PATIENCE!!   Schlepping around luggage just seems to be futile misery.  The only thing I carry on is my CPAP and meds.  Everything else will appear at my cabin.  I have been on a couple of ships where the elevators are shut down while luggage is being distributed throughout the ship.  

2 hours ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

On our last cruise there were two ladies that carried on their luggage. The were right in front of us. Each had 2 suitcases, 28 to 29" spinners. They held up the entire boarding line every time they came to a turn in the ramp and every time they came to any kind of door. They had to take only one of the suitcases at a time around the corners or through the doors. Then they got into the atrium and they were unable to pull the two suitcases through the narrow line through the atrium over to the elevators. So they did the one at a time thing through the atrium to the elevators going about 5 feet at a time with each suitcase. The we got to the elevator and they tried to stuff all 4 suitcases on the same elevator which was already packed. Kept holding the door open until a couple people got pis...ed and got off the elevator to let them on and let it move. We did not see the fiasco of them getting off because we were waiting for an elevator to come back down for us. Some of the comments of the other people following this clown parade were priceless.

Thanks for the chuckle to start my day 😆 From your description I got a very vivid picture in my head !!