Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2019

barbpretz

3 hours ago, Almighty188 said:

The reason advisors advised you not to make the purchase is because it wasn't a security they are promoting.  Since advisors get paid for securities they recommend by the company which is why they don't care if you make money or not as their job is for you to bring your assets to them and for you to buy what they recommend to you as they make money from the recommendations and they usually require you to hold the security for a certain period of time too.   I know someone who used Edward Jones and they keep recommending things to buy so it gets bought but they would not let you sell it until 5 years later as they will not even accept your instructions to sell.  Another friend used Banc of America Investment Services, Inc. which was before Bank of America purchased Merrill Lynch.  The advisor sold them Mutual Funds and it was losing money big time and even 6 years later, they won't let them sell saying that they have to keep it there for a full 10 years or something.   A advisor really doesn't use their own skills to recommend things as they use what's on the list supplied by the Chief Analyst.  As for the dividends, even at 4%, it will take you 18 years to recover 100% of the cost of your investment.  And at 3.7% which is the actual dividend, it will take 19.5 years.  Regardless, it's better than putting the money in the bank even for the dividends alone and the depends on the actual return on the stock price itself.  If you cruise though, then the return is higher.  The shares you own will mostly be in street name as it's owned by the brokerage firm where you are the beneficiary owner.  Otherwise you will have the stock certificate in your hand and it has to be delivered to the broker before you can even sell the shares should you need to.  Make sure when you buy for the dividends, you look at the dividend-ex date and your shares need to settle on or before that date or else you won't be eligible for the dividends for the next dividend payment date.  

I purchased my shared several years ago for $35 a share against the advice of my Edward Jones broker. No regrets. It has increased in value AND I have enjoyed quite bit bit of OBC. Great investment, as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2019 at 3:24 PM, nukesubsailor said:

It has been a couple of years since I pre-ordered booze from Princess.  When I did , I found a voucher for my order in my cabin when we boarded ship.  I had to call room service and tell them I had a voucher for the bottle.  When it was delivered I had to sign the voucher and give it to the delivery person.  So pre-ordering saved no time but finding the voucher in my cabin did serve as a reminder.

You need a reminder to drink?  I drink to forget! 🤣😁😂

SECRET ELECTRICAL OUTLETS

Here's the slickest Princess secret I ran across on board the Pacific Princess for the 2018 WC. Like many other travelers, I lug along my cpap when we cruise, but it's always a pain trying to find a convenient plug-in close to the bed for it. 

As it turns out, there's a European style plug UNDER the head of the bed. You'll need an adapter and be willing to give up one of the bedside lights to use it, but it was a Godsend for me! 

There was also a plug-in hiding in the wall mounted hair-dryer which we used to keep our electric toothbrushes charged up. We also discovered another one behind the TV. What can I say? We are a wired couple.

We just booked the 2020 63-Day Indian Ocean & Europe on the Island Princess.  Does anyone know if the balcony cabins on that ship also have a hidden plug-in under the bed? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquadesiac said:

SECRET ELECTRICAL OUTLETS

Here's the slickest Princess secret I ran across on board the Pacific Princess for the 2018 WC. Like many other travelers, I lug along my cpap when we cruise, but it's always a pain trying to find a convenient plug-in close to the bed for it. 

As it turns out, there's a European style plug UNDER the head of the bed. You'll need an adapter and be willing to give up one of the bedside lights to use it, but it was a Godsend for me! 

There was also a plug-in hiding in the wall mounted hair-dryer which we used to keep our electric toothbrushes charged up. We also discovered another one behind the TV. What can I say? We are a wired couple.

We just booked the 2020 63-Day Indian Ocean & Europe on the Island Princess.  Does anyone know if the balcony cabins on that ship also have a hidden plug-in under the bed? 

I bought one of these on Amazon.  It has the European plug, and 3 outlets.  I can plug my CPAP, and the lamp in.  I also plug a charger for my phone in and charge my phone on the bedstand at night.  No other adapters needed.  I also have used it in hotels during our pre-cruise stays.

It says it is surge protected.  It is not!!  The ones made for the USA are surge protected, the Euro one is not.

I have been on several Princess ships, and never had a problem finding the lamp outlet to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNRCOPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by 2 cruises a year
Forgot the URL

On 1/23/2019 at 3:26 PM, 63 Super Sport said:

Hi Tom-

Will you discuss in more detail? What if you have an assigned cabin # BB Balcony? Does this mean only to a Mini Suite what about a suite???? Thanks.

It means to a category that’s higher than yours so from a BB Balcony you could be offered a Mini Suite or a Suite.

Having that on your reservation doesn’t mean that they will use that. I’ve heard of people marking their cruise “No Upgrade” & they were upgraded anyway.

For or me it’s better than having nothing as they could move you somewhere in your same class & consider that an upgrade. 

Tom😎 

17 hours ago, Almighty188 said:

That's awesome.  Saw someone posted the lunch menu from the Grand Princess from December 3, 2018 on the Mexican Riviera and it had the following:

image.png.66f10d9ba87715991d91f9238390a959.png

Anyone have any recommendations on this list because they all look good... LOL

The orange soufflé is delicious! I had it in cc dining after embarkation lunch. That was also when I said that would be the only time I had dessert with lunch. Made a liar out of myself!

21 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I bought one of these on Amazon.  It has the European plug, and 3 outlets.  I can plug my CPAP, and the lamp in.  I also plug a charger for my phone in and charge my phone on the bedstand at night.  No other adapters needed.  I also have used it in hotels during our pre-cruise stays.

It says it is surge protected.  It is not!!  The ones made for the USA are surge protected, the Euro one is not.

I have been on several Princess ships, and never had a problem finding the lamp outlet to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNRCOPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never mind...

Edited by Thrak

On 1/25/2019 at 5:32 PM, trbarton said:

It means to a category that’s higher than yours so from a BB Balcony you could be offered a Mini Suite or a Suite.

Having that on your reservation doesn’t mean that they will use that. I’ve heard of people marking their cruise “No Upgrade” & they were upgraded anyway.

For or me it’s better than having nothing as they could move you somewhere in your same class & consider that an upgrade. 

Tom😎 

Thanks.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, TracieABD said:

If you are on one of the older ships (older than the Royal class builds), if you are are confused about which hallway to enter to get to your room... look down at the carpet--- on the edges there will be a red border or a blue border. 

The red border is for the Portside (Port= red like the wine) and the blue border is for Starboard. The waves in the border go to front of the ship.

The waves going forward is one of our secrets for over 10 years, but with several carpet repairs, the maintenance people have not always followed the original design. I have seen several examples of this on everyone of the older ships we have been on over the last several years.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:08 PM, neverbeenhere said:

preorder liquor for your room, around $18 for 375ml (12oz) good for two to eight drinks.

Thank you for this tip!  I’m not a big drinker and usually just like 1 vodka and lemonade at night.  So I can preorder this bottle of vodka and get lemonade from buffet and for the price of two bar drinks I can probably get 8 drinks! 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:29 AM, wbierbra said:

How did you buy your shares?  We were going to do this a year ago but advisor advised us not to.

We bought ours 5 years ago through Schwab. It’s paid for itself many times over. We also always have future cruise credits and loyalty credit. Rarely have to pay any gratuities now because OBC usually covers it. Of course we always tip our steward and table waiters ourselves.  

Edited by RRFan

4 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

We do the same. Never had to wait.

9 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We like the DR. Noon-1:00pm. 

Quiet and relaxing.

Absolutely!  And always get the Orange Souffle!  Nothing gets a cruise started better!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, oskidunker said:

Cruises may appear sold out one day and then not the next day. Tracking a cruise to Mexico , looking for a last minute fare reduction. Monday 27 cabins left. Yesterday none. Today 22. Not sure what is causing this.  Be patient. Cruise before had availability up to  2 days  before sailing 

Blocks of rooms that are held for one reason or another are released at a predetermined date.  Theme Cruise or a large group traveling that doesn't need the rooms, etc..   Good advice to keep looking at a cruise right up until sailing.

You’ve saved money with an inside stateroom. OK...Leave your TV on to the ships bridge camera when you retire. As it gets light outside you’ll know when it’s morning plus you’ll have some idea about the weather outside. 

Tom😎

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, TracieABD said:

If you are on one of the older ships (older than the Royal class builds), if you are are confused about which hallway to enter to get to your room... look down at the carpet--- on the edges there will be a red border or a blue border. 

The red border is for the Portside (Port= red like the wine) and the blue border is for Starboard. The waves in the border go to front of the ship.

Also, on all ships, all passenger elevators (except the glass Atrium elevators) face forward.  So if your stateroom is even, port side, you always turn left getting out of the elevator.  If your stateroom is odd, starboard side,  always turn right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Also, on all ships, all passenger elevators (except the glass Atrium elevators) face forward.  So if your stateroom is even, port side, you always turn left getting out of the elevator.  If your stateroom is odd, starboard side,  always turn right.

There are a few exceptions such as the Coral/Island center lifts (Not the glass Atrium elevators) face aft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1