New UBP price list

pbenjamin

3 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

With the UBP only when the drink teeters at $15.00 or over is there a surcharge with gratuity.

Up to $15 the UBP package covers it.

NCL raised the price of the drinks - not much to worry about here unless you are buying them without the UBP.

That's not true. To raise prices of drinks is understandable; to not expand the limit that the beverage package covers is just a money grab. If they are going to raise drink prices that much, throw a couple more dollars onto the drink package limit. Just like they raised the price of meals at Cagneys, but didn''t raise the limit of the platinum coupons. So, where diners once had a good choice of meals, now it's down to 4 items that meet the price limit. This is wrong. What' s next - 4 drinks will qualify for the UBP without paying a little something? Oh, plus gratuity, of course. This is the very description of nickel and diming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Price increases do not surprise me one bit. NCL is a publicly traded company with shareholders. I've worked for both public companies and privately held companies. The order of priority (usually) for public companies is profits (i.e., shareholders), customers, employees. Sometimes, it's profits (shareholders), employees, customers. Profits always come first for publicly traded companies, period. For privately held companies, the priority is usually employees, customers, and then profits. Based on my experience, if you take care of your employees and customers first, usually profits will follow.

Edited by lonzwinery
paragraph formatting
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

This is truly absurd. Wonder if smuggling will come back a bit more? I feel like the topic died down on these birds, but at a cost of $120/day, or $20/day with the perk, that the smugglers may come back. 

Remember the $20 a day with the perk includes tips which you are going to pay one way or the other. As for smuggling, for some that is an option, for most of us we will live with the adjustments. Remember when NCL added the service charge for room service and everyone went into orbit: we got over it and now, at least RCI charges even more. Most of the new prices are still under the amount included. No we are not happy about the changes either, but we know we will adjust. I will add, I am glad I am not a champagne drinker. That is for sure. 

5 hours ago, bbnjcruiser said:

It’s still only 15$ Corking fee to bring your own bottle - I suggest hauling a few cases aboard with you!

We are disgusted with NCL's drink package, its cost (raising basic cost of cruise through price bundling) and outrageous over valued gratuity cost.

We had a free drink package on our Sun cruise to Alaska in 2016, but NCL changed and started charging a gratuity and upped it to an absurd 20% of a ridiculous value.

On our last cruise on Dawn for seven day, I purchased five bottles of wine locally (better wine than offered on the package) for $8 apiece.  Then paid the $15 corkage.  Total cost for five bottles $40 + $75= $115.  We had a free bottle of wine (Platinum bennies) with our meal in Le Bistro one night.  We didn't buy much alcohol at all outside of this.  Consequently, our total cost of alcohol for the cruise was way less than JUST the cost of the gratuity.  We had declined the drink package.  We still compare NCL with other cruise lines and picked Royal C over NCL for a Norway Arctic Circle because Royal doesn't price bundle and its prices beat the heck overall out of NCL's.

Those prices are nuts, and I sail with the UBP....Goose used to be included...wow..

Looking back, I see ONE Bourbon under $15. Unacceptable.

Bad part is the Bride and I are sitting in 4 Cruise Next Certs...good thing they have 3 years left...might be time to dump em. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SlipperyVic said:

I trust the cheapskates belly aching in this thread will not be booking another NCL cruise? That suits me just fine.

I am belly aching. But you'll still find me onboard. Sail away rate only for me. I find no value in free at sea perks at current cost vs benefit.

5 hours ago, lonzwinery said:

Price increases do not surprise me one bit. NCL is a publicly traded company with shareholders. I've worked for both public companies and privately held companies. The order of priority (usually) for public companies is profits (i.e., shareholders), customers, employees. Sometimes, it's profits (shareholders), employees, customers. Profits always come first for publicly traded companies, period. For privately held companies, the priority is usually employees, customers, and then profits. Based on my experience, if you take care of your employees and customers first, usually profits will follow.

For public companies you missed number one - top management with bonuses and stock options with short term focus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SlipperyVic said:

I trust the cheapskates belly aching in this thread will not be booking another NCL cruise? That suits me just fine.

Or just use the sailaway rate and cut the onboard spending close to zero. Everything has its time. I remember getting blue label for $3 or $4 dollar surcharge and stoli elit included. But traveling the world is far more important than getting drunk so the priority on where to spend the money is an easy one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

That's not true. To raise prices of drinks is understandable; to not expand the limit that the beverage package covers is just a money grab. If they are going to raise drink prices that much, throw a couple more dollars onto the drink package limit. Just like they raised the price of meals at Cagneys, but didn''t raise the limit of the platinum coupons. So, where diners once had a good choice of meals, now it's down to 4 items that meet the price limit. This is wrong. What' s next - 4 drinks will qualify for the UBP without paying a little something? Oh, plus gratuity, of course. This is the very description of nickel and diming.

FYI, recent cruisers report that the Cagney's entree limit for Plat + dinners is now $25.