Hotel 1/2 way

torilyn

Long Beach, CA Carnival cruise port?

Galveston, TX. Carnival cruise port?

Charleston, SC Carnival cruise port?

Jacksonville, FL. Carnival cruise port?

Cape Canaveral Fl. Carnival cruise port?

Tampa, Fl. Carnival cruise port?

Give us a clue here! I know I've missed a few

5 hours ago, torilyn said:

Hello

Driving from Oklahoma City to carnival cruise pier on February 17 which is the day before the cruise. Does anyone know how to find out a decent hotel halfway to the cruise port ? Thanks

Experienced cruisers will tell you to find a hotel near the port, not halfway.  

• Like 1

Also from OKC.  While I also recommend staying closer to Port (anywhere South of Houston), if you need something 3-4 hours down you'd need to look just south of Dallas. If you don't care about specific hotels, just find something on Expedia that works for you. 

Edited by bchandler02

I hope this helps.

The best city between OKC and Galveston, TX to meet is Dallas, Texas which is about 38 miles from the exact midpoint. The town that marks the exact halfway point is actually Alma, Texas . The closest zip code to the midpoint is 75105 . The exact latitude and longitude coordinates are 32° 16' 44" N and 96° 31' 44" W .

• Like 1

How about this one in Corsicana, TX, just a little over half way for you.  I have not stayed in this exact hotel but many, many Hampton Inns across the country and they are all ok for a good nights rest (they are consistent!).  Not sure if you will be driving from here to the cruise port?  Hopefully you will spend the night someplace closer to Galveston the night before.  

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-and-suites-corsicana-CRSTXHX/index.html

34 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Why are you asking such a question in the Carnival Cruise forum? This has nothing to do with Carnival cruises. Try Google or Trip Advisor ....

Yes it does.  The OP wanted to hear from other Carnival cruisers that may have made the same trip and wanted to know where they stopped overnight.  If the Moderators think this isn't the right place for it, they'll move it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, torilyn said:

Hello

Driving from Oklahoma City to carnival cruise pier on February 17 which is the day before the cruise. Does anyone know how to find out a decent hotel halfway to the cruise port ? Thanks

For us, we always stay at a LaQuinta Hotel.  We figure out what is the stopping  point, then go to the LaQuinta site and put in that city and see if they have a hotel there.  You can do that with any hotel.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:59 PM, torilyn said:

Don’t quite understand your reply.  We only can drive 3-4 ours in a day so we will have to stop at a hotel for a night.  What does anything have to do with experienced cruisers

Because you don't want to be 4-5 hours drive away from port to get there in am.  Best to be within an hour drive.

torilyn if you can only drive 3-4 hours per day, can you set out 2 days before your cruise, and get into Galveston (or near it) the night before your cruise? I ask because I've heard horror stories about traffic jams, accidents, construction etc between Dallas and Houston. If that happened the day of your cruise it could lead to a late arrival, which would be just awful! I've read too many stories about that happening to be comfortable driving from Dallas to Galveston the morning of my cruise.

So if possible, that's my advice- find a nice motel/hotel, maybe just on the southern outskirts of Dallas, then drive the next day to Galveston, stay in a nice place (I prefer one of the Marriott chain- Springhill Suites, TownPlace or Courtyard) overnight in Galveston and then board the next day at your leisure! No fuss, no stress! and it's like extending your vacation by 2 days on either end! Win Win!

The other possibility if you are comfortable using a smartphone, is an app called Hoteltonight.  There is a regular website you can look at too, but the app for the phone is what is actually helpful.

You do have to set the app up with a credit card before you use it, but I have never had any trouble.  Essentially once you get ready to pull over for the night, access the app while you are in route (with your location turned on in your phone) and the app will tell you what hotels are available, how far ahead, and what price.   You can make the reservation through your phone and walk in a few minutes later.  We always use this when we road trip now, because we can drive until we are ready to stop, instead of being tied down to an advance reservation.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:04 AM, torilyn said:

So sorry.  Sailing from Galveston port on Feb18  and looking for halfway point from Oklahoma City to Galveston to stay in a hotel .

Book your hotel no further away than Houston. Personally, I’d choose right near the port in Galveston. Unless you are asking about stopping along the way for the night. I use Hotel Tonight app on my phone to find the best rate on a hotel in the area I’m looking to stop at. But for the night before the cruise do NOT choose a half way point, stay NEAR the port. Let me add that we are driving from Buffalo, NY to our cruise in Ft Lauderdale, FL in April 2020. We are taking our time, leaving 1 week prior to cruise, and stopping at points along the way. No reservations will be made except for my cruise port hotel right near the port in Ft Lauderdale. The rest will be wherever we decide to stop, I will check my app. 

Edited by grandmarnnurse

Hey Torilyn:

to piggyback on what others have mentioned, I also recommend driving as much as you physically can handle the first day and, if you need to stop for the night, do so as close to your port of embarkation as possible. In addition to minimizing the posibility of setbacks or delays due to traffic, car problems or any other possible scenario, you’ll be much more rested and ready to enjoy the cruise if you only have 1-2 hours to drive on the morning of your cruise. The last time we drove for a cruise (from Atlanta to Port Canaveral), we stopped with about 2 hours to go, found a hotel, woke up the next morning, enjoyed breakfast, and then drove the last stretch, arriving at the port around 11:00am, rested and relaxed.

have a wonderful cruise! 

Edited by Tapi

• 2 weeks later...

The LaQuinta in Ennis is really nice, but you would have about a 4 hour drive the next day.  I have stayed at the Super 8 Houston/Webster/NASA area.  It wasn't fancy, but it was clean and had a great location.  It is only about a 45 minute drive to the port from there.