Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

Just now, 66Cruisin said:

I’m on the epic right now and it looks like the prices are same as last year. Grey Goose is still under $15 as are most beverages. Very few spirits in the “ultra” premium category

Curious if the flavored GG is priced $14.95 as well?  That price appeared on the menus posted today, and they were over the $15 threshold for quite some time.

32 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

If you have UBP, you’re paying $0 more.  If you don’t have UBP, I’m guessing you don’t care about alcohol pricing.  

Guess again. We like to enjoy a glass of wine or two before dinner and maybe a vodka or two afterwards. We don't care about the UBP and other promotions marketed as "free".

The pricing for individual spirits has been set at levels that are unsustainable, even after their recent 180 degree turnaround.

26 minutes ago, Slickstang01 said:

Just speaking to someone that is currently on the Escape and the prices have not been rolled back on that ship yet. Really hope they do as we leave on the 24th.

That’s really interesting. One poster said that at the beginning of the cruise the old menus (with the increase) hadn’t been replaced yet but the bartenders were charging according to the roll back. I wonder if that’s the case on the Escape.

17 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

That’s really interesting. One poster said that at the beginning of the cruise the old menus (with the increase) hadn’t been replaced yet but the bartenders were charging according to the roll back. I wonder if that’s the case on the Escape.

I'm wondering if the latest prices have made it to the Bliss as well

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I think Tito's was $9.95 or $10.95 plus a two dollar mandatory service charge. Grey goose $10.95 or so.

They were both $9.95 in September as can be seen here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2585975-current-ncl-drink-menus-92018/

You are right, they have appeased those on the UBP by lowering the price under $15 and even putting some previous super premium also under $15 but for those who pay as they go are still being hit hard.

The problem is the biggest voice is those of us who have the UBP who are now a lot happier. 

The other big question is.... why did they make some of the super premium less than $15, initially I would say as a sweetener..... but it devalues the upgrade to super premium UBP which was to be introduced, it makes you wonder if they will scrap those plans now?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Which super premiums are now in?

i know my preference of Belvedere vodka which used to be in is still out

Cherry, orange and pear Grey Goose are all now $14.95 and were previously $16.95 also Jack Daniel's Rye

Edited by ziggyuk

Wow this alcohol stuff is really a big deal to a lot of people, fascinating for me because I am a guy that drinks a beer once in awhile and I literally will order by saying: "what the cheapest beer/light beer you have on tap"  Only ordered a beer once on a cruise ship and that was because we could not use our OBC toward service charges.

6 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Wow this alcohol stuff is really a big deal to a lot of people, fascinating for me because I am a guy that drinks a beer once in awhile and I literally will order by saying: "what the cheapest beer/light beer you have on tap"  Only ordered a beer once on a cruise ship and that was because we could not use our OBC toward service charges.

Would you not feel the same if you booked expecting salmon and lobster and were served cheese sandwiches?

You may not partake but those who do are paying good money for it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Newleno said:

The situation annoys me and I'm not a big drinker. The UBP is worth it to me ONLY when it's a "free" promotion. I paid the service fee/tax which came to $125 or so for the week. THAT is worth it to me. I don't like the constant gouging I have been seeing on NCL since Kevin Sheehan left, So I just don't cruise with NCL much anymore.  My booked cruise on the Bliss is the first one with them in almost 5 years. The only way they will stop constantly raising prices on cabins and beverages (to a ridiculous degree, I mean) and specialty restaurants is when enough once-loyal customers say "enough". Just stop booking cruises on NCL. I'm sympathetic to the upset people but 35 pages of posts about it ... well, maybe it's just time to go elsewhere or suck it up and be overcharged. Y'know? What else can ya do, really?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Would you not feel the same if you booked expecting salmon and lobster and were served cheese sandwiches?

Sorry for the confusion, I am serious, was not trying to offend.  I mean because of me not being a drinker I just had no idea how important this is for a lot of people.

27 minutes ago, Newleno said:

For people who drink, the ability to order decent liquor and not be charged ridiculous prices for it, is an important part of the cruise experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

The situation annoys me and I'm not a big drinker. The UBP is worth it to me ONLY when it's a "free" promotion. I paid the service fee/tax which came to $125 or so for the week. THAT is worth it to me. I don't like the constant gouging I have been seeing on NCL since Kevin Sheehan left, So I just don't cruise with NCL much anymore.  My booked cruise on the Bliss is the first one with them in almost 5 years. The only way they will stop constantly raising prices on cabins and beverages (to a ridiculous degree, I mean) and specialty restaurants is when enough once-loyal customers say "enough". Just stop booking cruises on NCL. I'm sympathetic to the upset people but 35 pages of posts about it ... well, maybe it's just time to go elsewhere or suck it up and be overcharged. Y'know? What else can ya do, really?

oh yeah I have griped about the "fee at sea", I mean "free at sea" for awhile now.

1 minute ago, gmbhardy said:

For people who drink, the ability to order decent liquor and not be charged ridiculous prices for it, is an important part of the cruise experience. 

i agree, yikes my comments have been misconstrued 

oh yeah I have griped about the "fee at sea", I mean "free at sea" for awhile now.

😂 good one. That’s exactly right, fee at sea!

27 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

5 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Sorry for the confusion, I am serious, was not trying to offend.  I mean because of me not being a drinker I just had no idea how important this is for a lot of people.

No offence taken, I used the food example as I thought a non drinker might be able to relate to what is exactly the same situation.

You pay good money for food as part of your cruise deal and have expectations what that would include, equally I pay way above the sail away rate for the UBP and have an expectation what that includes.

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

For those who say my drink is still available or drinks are not important to us just remember if they get these ridiculous policies through what is valuable to you is next.

This is ridiculous.  When can we all stop speculating and hounding on board passengers about current prices?  Is this what it has come down to?

Apparently NCL is remaining mute and want all their passengers (and bartenders) to be surprised upon boarding their next cruise!  As advertised, NCL offers a great cruise experience (lots of FREE AT SEA to attract the unsuspected also). I suggest we all wait to board and find out the surprise when we get there!  I love surprises!  Don't you?

🙄

• Like 1