Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

4 minutes ago, TPgal said:

I spoke to the concierge desk for my 4/1 Jade cruise and she looked up when the new beverage prices will hit our ship and she said it would hit 3/1.    She seemed to announce this as a benefit or improvement.   When I said we were disappointed that the pricing that was in effect when we paid in full wouldn’t be honored she made it pretty clear that it wasn’t really her job to deal with anything other than book dining, excursion or spa appts (and for those she could only book what was available online.). 

We we are paid and going but the deposit I have on an H4 in August of next year...maybe not so much.  

Stay tuned. Some posters are reporting that NCL is rolling back some of the prices.

28 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Stay tuned. Some posters are reporting that NCL is rolling back some of the prices.

My TA had a meeting with them and they suggested they were going to revert back.

Even then I am looking at Caribbean cruises in mid March, I can cruise in the brand new HAL ship and buy drinks packages (which are more inclusive) for less than the Star and I can get balcony cabin on Celebrity Equinox with drinks (again better package) for less than Breakaway inside cabin.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, richstowe said:

IMHO , it's not a bad idea . You get premium pricing for those that need/want to pick their cabin and fill up the ship at lower prices for those that don't care . If the ship is getting full you shrink the difference between the two, if there is lots of unsold inventory, you widen the difference . It's not pretty but it works for them so they can sell to bargain hunters without having to lower their 3,4 or whatever for free package prices . 

There is no widening, shrinking.  They are obviously interested

20 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

So you’re saying that the cruise started with Grey goose as an up charge and now it’s included as of day 3? Or have the price increases just not hit breakaway yet?

No they had the menu that was in the original post with Gray Goosse at 19.99 but when you asked the bartender if it was included they said yes. The drink menus were changed yesterday. Also Patron silver is included.

I'm a bit confused about something actually--when you say "Grey Goose at $19.99" (or whatever price) does that mean a SHOT of GG or a drink MADE with GG?

Jordan9900, thanks for the info.  It's nice that we are being heard at NCL (at least that's how I interpret your post, that NCL heard the extreme displeasure and took it seriously)

Edited by erdoran

2 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

I see the complaints didn't help the wine list. A single glass of Chateau St Michelle Reisling is still 21.95$ a glass, which is crazy. I see a lot of Essence Reisling converts in NCL's future. 

If you like off dry whites, Essence Riesling is actually pretty good.

2 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

I see the complaints didn't help the wine list. A single glass of Chateau St Michelle Reisling is still 21.95$ a glass, which is crazy. I see a lot of Essence Reisling converts in NCL's future. 

I agree very limited on what wine is in the package.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, erdoran said:

I'm a bit confused about something actually--when you say "Grey Goose at $19.99" (or whatever price) does that mean a SHOT of GG or a drink MADE with GG?

Jordan9900, thanks for the info.  It's nice that we are being heard at NCL (at least that's how I interpret your post, that NCL heard the extreme displeasure and took it seriously)

First night on the Breakaway at the martini bar I watched a guy have a meltdown over all the Patron prices over $15. Wasn't fun for the bartender.

46 minutes ago, wetcoast said:

Its really crazy that the Spellbound Petite Sirah is $20 a glass. A whole bottle is only $12 in a wine store

I looked up the new Romani prosecco, $10.95 a glass so still included, but $10ish for a bottle locally. I am still reeling from the increase to $36 for the Veuve. I'm not a big drinker but champagne is my cruise treat. Probably not anymore.

5 hours ago, jordan9900 said:

Just posted the drink menus on the Facebook page - NCL breakaway Feb 7 2019 pack fans group

Thanks for the post.  Much relieved by the pull back on some of these prices...still stunned at the audacity to charge what they charge.  Just looking at Grand Marnier.  IF they paid retail (they don't), they would pay for the bottle after the first two shots leaving  23 X 14.95 = 343 dollars profit per bottle for those paying outside the UBP.  Since their overhead is the ship, which is paid for by the cruise fares, that's a great profit margin.

8 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I looked up the new Romani prosecco, $10.95 a glass so still included, but $10ish for a bottle locally. I am still reeling from the increase to $36 for the Veuve. I'm not a big drinker but champagne is my cruise treat. Probably not anymore.

I was so spoiled last cruise on a different line, i had some great wines by the glass and Mumm Cordon Rouge- no upcharge!

1 hour ago, wdjpvaz said:

How much is Don Julio 1942?  Almost afraid to ask

They don't have it on menu.  Don Julio Reposado is 29.95  14.95 up charge plus 3 dollar sc if you have the package.  Basically an expensive bar price.  36 bucks if you don't have the package.  Where on this PLANET would you pay that price.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:05 AM, resetjet said:

Look at it this way,  you have two choices as a non heavy drinker.  Roll the dice on a sailaway and get a crappy room or buy what you dont want or need.  On our last cruise it was $600 more to pick a room and then you need to get the ubp for $230 or whatever in tips.  So over $800 more to pick a room.....crazy.

We always pick our cabins we book well in advance and as neither of us are big drinkers will not take the UBP again just the tax & tip is above what we would drink. My husband will get a soda package if we have several sea days other wise we are off the ship when in port. But really love aft cabins on both lines we sail so pick each and every time. Package or no package it's our choice.