Cruise internet pricing?

Packard

Hello,

We are heading out in March on the Eurodam, 28 day cruise. Can anyone out there tell me if the internet pricing is only daily or is there a package that covers the entire voyage? If so, what are the $$ figures? Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Packard said:

Hello,

We are heading out in March on the Eurodam, 28 day cruise. Can anyone out there tell me if the internet pricing is only daily or is there a package that covers the entire voyage? If so, what are the $$ figures? Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "internet pricing" and "daily."  I have never seen pricing other than by the voyage.  I assume that you are referring to HAL's website?  If you are referring to a third party's website, please be aware that CC forbids giving the name of any travel agency or service.  

10 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "internet pricing" and "daily."  I have never seen pricing other than by the voyage.  I assume that you are referring to HAL's website?  If you are referring to a third party's website, please be aware that CC forbids giving the name of any travel agency or service.  

Yes, I mean HAL’s website. It has been a few years since we travelled with them and back then they only had a price per day. I can’t see anything on their website that gives pricing by the voyage. Even the CC roll call for our voyage doesn’t have clear pricing. Someone there suggested I try the main board.

1 minute ago, Packard said:

Yes, I mean HAL’s website. It has been a few years since we travelled with them and back then they only had a price per day. I can’t see anything on their website that gives pricing by the voyage. Even the CC roll call for our voyage doesn’t have clear pricing. Someone there suggested I try the main board.

I think that I am misunderstanding you.  My question:  Pricing of what?  The cabin, the internet, beverage packages, excursions?  

9 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I think that I am misunderstanding you.  My question:  Pricing of what?  The cabin, the internet, beverage packages, excursions?  

Internet.......please and thankyou.

O.K.  That does narrow it.  Yes, HAL does have internet packaging for the whole trip.  Obviously it depends on the length of the cruise.  We just got off an 89-day cruise. There were three levels of unlimited internet pricing.  The middle level, which I believe was the "Surf" level, was $599 for 82 days.  HAL refused to include the additional seven days, although they had added those days to the voyage.  I was told by our NS concierge that the price was the same if you waited until boarding.  However, HAL is changing its mind faster than I change my clothes, so don't count on it.  Best you call HAL, and you may or may not get a correct answer.  Did you book through HAL or a TA?  Call either your Cruise Consultant or your TA.  Good luck!

A word of caution, however.  I said earlier that usage is unlimited.  Not exactly.  As another thread just posted, there are data caps for each level.  Check POA's thread on Data Caps.  None of the responses, however, had experienced any problem with staying within the caps.

There may be data caps, but that would be for huge amounts of downloaded data.   The only way you could bump into the data caps, even if they are in force, would be streaming video.   If you have paid thousands of $$$ for a cruise, and many hundreds more for onboard purchases, why would you hole yourself up in a cabin watching movies on a laptop, tablet or phone ?   E-mails, posting on CC, banking, business, VOIP back home, are all reasonable uses for the internet while on a cruise.  But watching streaming video..... IMHO, a waste of the money spent to take the cruise.  On most of the ships that have the interactive TV's, you have a 50" flat screen with hundreds of movies, TV shows, sports, news, and all kinds of entertainment, all free and included.

• Like 2

A word of caution, however.  I said earlier that usage is unlimited.  Not exactly.  As another thread just posted, there are data caps for each level.  Check POA's thread on Data Caps.  None of the responses, however, had experienced any problem with staying within the caps.

I just got off the Nieuw Statendam. There were data caps listed but the internet manager said they were not being used. Netflix and Hulu were blocked. Only you tube was working - there maybe others - but that is what I tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Rather than start a new thread, I will ask here.......

We are doing an 11 day cruise followed by a 13 day cruise, on the Koningsdam. Will I be able to purchase a 24 day package or will I be stuck with an 11 day package and then a 13 day package?

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Rather than start a new thread, I will ask here.......

We are doing an 11 day cruise followed by a 13 day cruise, on the Koningsdam. Will I be able to purchase a 24 day package or will I be stuck with an 11 day package and then a 13 day package?

I don't have an exact answer for your cruise, but people on the Zuiderdam's 21 day B2B could buy the full 21 days. They did not have to by an 11 and a 10.

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

I don't have an exact answer for your cruise, but people on the Zuiderdam's 21 day B2B could buy the full 21 days. They did not have to by an 11 and a 10.

Thanks for the response, Brian.  

Do you know if it makes a difference being booked on a 'Collectors' as against B2B?  

An other question on internet. We are going on a 14 day and as we are on vacation we will NOT need the internet nor are we bringing anything but cellphone for in port emergency. We WILL need to get our airline boarding pass the day before we get off the ship. Do they offer one day rates or by the minute on the last day? We are flying Southwest so depending on cost it may be worth it to pay SW to have them do it.

31 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Do you know if it makes a difference being booked on a 'Collectors' as against B2B?  

If it is two separate booking numbers, you might have to buy two different plans. If you are on one booking number, you will only buy one plan.

1 hour ago, lb0103 said:

An other question on internet. We are going on a 14 day and as we are on vacation we will NOT need the internet nor are we bringing anything but cellphone for in port emergency. We WILL need to get our airline boarding pass the day before we get off the ship. Do they offer one day rates or by the minute on the last day? We are flying Southwest so depending on cost it may be worth it to pay SW to have them do it.

The 1 day rate for web surfing is $25.  The per person Early Bird check-in on SWA is now $25 each way.  So it looks to me like it's cheaper to get on the web to get your check-in done.  

We were on the Westerdam Oct 14, 2016, Venice to Ft. Lauderdale.  It was a Collector's Cruise with the mid-point in Rome.   This was after the Westy was upgraded to the unlimited, 3-tier internet system.   We only had a single booking number,  same cabin the whole cruise.  It was not a B2B.   But we could only purchase the internet Surf plan for the first 12 days.  After Rome, we had to purchase the Surf plan for the 13 day segment to FLL.   Wasn't a big deal, and we never lost internet, except for the minute it took to sign up for the 2nd segment.   That was Oct 2016, maybe things have changed.  

Edited by TAD2005

We were on Zuiderdam last September (20-day Viking Passage). There were three plans, each with a different daily (24-hour) cap. We got the middle (Surf) package (300MB/day). Price was $25 per day if purchased one day at a time. However, we were offered (and purchased) the entire voyage at once for $10/day ($200). You had to pay for the entire voyage at once. We saw the offer every time we logged on: it was still $10/day, but the total declined as the trip progressed. You will only pay the outrageous daily prices if you buy one day at a time. 

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

A Collector's cruise carries a single booking number, so it should not present a problem. B2B is two separate booking numbers, which might cause the Internet account to end between segments. I was using B2B when I should have typed Collector's. 

12 hours ago, kwb101 said:

We were on Zuiderdam last September (20-day Viking Passage). There were three plans, each with a different daily (24-hour) cap. We got the middle (Surf) package (300MB/day). Price was $25 per day if purchased one day at a time. However, we were offered (and purchased) the entire voyage at once for $10/day ($200). You had to pay for the entire voyage at once. We saw the offer every time we logged on: it was still $10/day, but the total declined as the trip progressed. You will only pay the outrageous daily prices if you buy one day at a time. 

Thank you! This was very helpful (especially the part about the total declining as the trip progresses). For our upcoming 22 day cruise, we could potentially purchase the internet plan for $100ish "around" halfway through the cruise. It may not seem like it's worth being stingy about, but we definitely want to unplug, yet still send the occasional email to family. Less temptation to check the news, etc., if we don't have it for the first half of the trip. Anyway, thank you very much for this information!

39 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Thank you! This was very helpful (especially the part about the total declining as the trip progresses). For our upcoming 22 day cruise, we could potentially purchase the internet plan for $100ish "around" halfway through the cruise. It may not seem like it's worth being stingy about, but we definitely want to unplug, yet still send the occasional email to family. Less temptation to check the news, etc., if we don't have it for the first half of the trip. Anyway, thank you very much for this information!

The per day price decreases based on the number of days you buy. If you buy X days in the middle, it costs the same as X days at the beginning. The only thing that decreases in price is the upgrade cost from one plan to another. That's only because it's based on a declining number of days on a plan you've already purchased.