Am I the only one who thinks night dock in San Juan is a waste?

mja2573

If you are sailing to Old San Juan after Thanksgiving and before Jan 8th you will have wonderful experiences at the parks down town🤗The singing and dancing will be memorable to say the least...Puerto Ricans really know how to celebrate Christmas and it won't cost you a dime.  Once you get off the ship look to the cement building on your left and it's a Welcome Center....free little bottles of rum and drinks...tip the guy behind the counter and he'll give you enough little bottles to hold you over😃 If your lucky you can also buy a couple bottles of rum at the duty free shop and just walk thru  the xray machine backwards holding your bottles...I know it sound bazar but the agents at that port at night see very little LOL We have done it in groups many many times and got on board with the rum 

28 minutes ago, myjillian said:

If you are sailing to Old San Juan after Thanksgiving and before Jan 8th you will have wonderful experiences at the parks down town🤗The singing and dancing will be memorable to say the least...Puerto Ricans really know how to celebrate Christmas and it won't cost you a dime.  Once you get off the ship look to the cement building on your left and it's a Welcome Center....free little bottles of rum and drinks...tip the guy behind the counter and he'll give you enough little bottles to hold you over😃 If your lucky you can also buy a couple bottles of rum at the duty free shop and just walk thru  the xray machine backwards holding your bottles...I know it sound bazar but the agents at that port at night see very little LOL We have done it in groups many many times and got on board with the rum 

Nov 6th we will be there

4 minutes ago, lisajltx said:

San Juan is a wonderful city.  There is a lot of nightlife and shopping in Old San Juan.  I had the best meal of my life at La Marmalade last year.  I have been tempted to just fly out for the weekend to go again!

I am sure its a great town.  Would love to experience it during the day. Will have 2 young teenagers.  Not exactly there for the nightlife.  

15 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

I don’t get it. Why would you choose a cruise with this itinerary? If one of my 3 port stops was at night and this short, I would have booked a different cruise.

Exactly right, I would never book a cruise with a private island, to me this is a waste of time.

Horses for courses, book what you like, but don't moan about it if you screwed up and booked the wrong itinerary!

Edited by ziggyuk

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Exactly right, I would never book a cruise with a private island, to me this is a waste of time.

Horses for courses, book what you like, but don't moan about it if you screwed up and booked the wrong itinerary!

Hey Ziggy,  It's the one that worked with the school schedule.  When we booked didn't even realize that it was only there at night.  We will make the best of it.  All I am saying that being there at those times is less than ideal.  

2 hours ago, hladygirl said:

I don’t get it. Why would you choose a cruise with this itinerary? If one of my 3 port stops was at night and this short, I would have booked a different cruise.

This stop appealed to me...looking forward to it.  I don’t sail with kids, waited till they were grown to sail....sounds like a nice nice out on the town to me...we shall see. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That's just not true.  It totally depends on where the ship is leaving from, and how the cruise line has set up the itinerary.  For example, three years ago, we sailed on NCL from NY to the Caribbean.  We had three sea days out of NY, and then a full day (8am to 5pm) in San Juan, our first port on that cruise.  

PS: Sunset today in San Juan is approximately 6:15pm.

Was it a Thanksgiving cruise? I usually sail out of NYC and it used to be 3-9p and now it 4-10p in Old San Juan. I remember one year we skipped arriving in PR at night cause it fell on Thanksgiving Day so we docked in PR on Black Friday and got to spend the day there. I really enjoyed it cause there was so much more I could explore in a full day vs a few hours at night but it an anomaly. I would support skipping another port (I would totally skip St Kitts cause after 3 visits it has lost its wow factor for me) if it meant having PR as a day port. 

Edited by Bonobochick
added something

17 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

No you are not. Lmao

We'll be on the Encore next January and have already decided we won't be getting off the ship.

We'll probably do a Specialty restaurant and the race track.

When in January? If you happen to go when the Fiestas de San Sebastian are going on then I would definitely get off the ship. Tons of food, music, local artists. It is the biggest party in PR (and we have huge parties!). Not for little kids since it will be super crowded, but I used to go as a teenager. I also don't drink and I still have a lot of fun when I go.  This year it was last week - I think it was the 16th to the 20th.  

I do agree that is not an ideal time to go to OSJ.  Most shops close at 5 or 6.  But I would still get off the ship if only for a couple of hours. The streets are beautiful, the restaurants are open. Sunset in Winter is around 6-6:30 so you can still go to El Morro and walk the outside grounds if you don't get there before they close at 6PM.

Encore is a huge ship.  I am sure Puerto Rico will not miss the opportunity with such a large ship in port.  I wont get off and will be sleeping during sail away (no joke).  I like when most of the ship gets off in port and almost get the entire ship to yourself.  So my complaint is not Puerto Rico. Its that I bet half the ship will stay on board.

For those who do not party like the OP or are traveling with kids, it might seem like a waste but for many others it is a fun  port or an interesting one, night or day. Not every port interests everyone. I happen to think Nassau is a waste but I certainly do not expect cruise lines to stop using it as a port. That is one of the stops that we just let others do their thing and we enjoy the lack of crowds on the ship.

I’m from Puerto Rico. Yes, those hours are far from ideal and I cringe when I see itineraries like this one. But at the same time, I encourage those of you saying that “it’s a waste” and that “you’ll stay onboard the ship” to get your exploring hat on and get out.

Unlike other destinations that shut down when the sun sets, San Juan doesn’t. In fact it comes alive at night. And you do not have to be a party animal to enjoy an evening stop in San Juan. Shops remain open and there’s a lot to see including great, locally crafted art. Even though places like the forts will have closed, walking around old San Juan, down cobblestoned streets and along historic buildings is absolutely fascinating. Watch the sunset along Paseo La Princesa and then enter the city through La Puerta de San Juan, see landmarks (from outside) like La Fortaleza, the San Jose Cathedral, Capilla del Cristo, and Fort San Cristobal. Take a break from the food on the ship and look for a local restaurant. The local food is mouth watering. I can assure you it will be one of the most memorable things you’ll do on your cruise. Enjoy a nice dinner al fresco while listening to local musicians and mingling with the locals. You don’t need to go crazy or stay up late. Just take a few hours and explore. You’ll be glad you did. 

With all of that said, I hope that NCL tweaks this itinerary. Other cruise lines have already proven that you can have a day time stop in San Juan and even 4 ports of call in an itinerary. I know that it helps other cruise lines greatly to have the ability to stop in Grand Turk, Amber Cove and Labadee to make that happen, but the last time I sailed to San Juan (on MSC) they managed to do a 3 port itinerary, all day time stops, including a 9am to 1am stop in San Juan. It can be done. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

I’m from Puerto Rico. Yes, those hours are far from ideal and I cringe when I see itineraries like this one. But at the same time, I encourage those of you saying that “it’s a waste” and that “you’ll stay onboard the ship” to get your exploring hat on and get out.

Unlike other destinations that shut down when the sun sets, San Juan doesn’t. In fact it comes alive at night. And you do not have to be a party animal to enjoy an evening stop in San Juan. Shops remain open and there’s a lot to see including great, locally crafted art. Even though places like the forts will have closed, walking around old San Juan, down cobblestoned streets and along historic buildings is absolutely fascinating. Watch the sunset along Paseo La Princesa and then enter the city through La Puerta de San Juan, see landmarks (from outside) like La Fortaleza, the San Jose Cathedral, Capilla del Cristo, and Fort San Cristobal. Take a break from the food on the ship and look for a local restaurant. The local food is mouth watering. I can assure you it will be one of the most memorable things you’ll do on your cruise. Enjoy a nice dinner al fresco while listening to local musicians and mingling with the locals. You don’t need to go crazy or stay up late. Just take a few hours and explore. You’ll be glad you did. 

With all of that said, I hope that NCL tweaks this itinerary. Other cruise lines have already proven that you can have a day time stop in San Juan and even 4 ports of call in an itinerary. I know that it helps other cruise lines greatly to have the ability to stop in Grand Turk, Amber Cove and Labadee to make that happen, but the last time I sailed to San Juan (on MSC) they managed to do a 3 port itinerary, all day time stops, including a 9am to 1am stop in San Juan. It can be done. 

We will absolutely get out and walk around.  Just would have liked a few hours of sunlight to see the fort etc.  As it is now we dock at 5:30 and sunset is 5:45.   Lets hope they decide to get us in early.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That's just not true.  It totally depends on where the ship is leaving from, and how the cruise line has set up the itinerary.  For example, three years ago, we sailed on NCL from NY to the Caribbean.  We had three sea days out of NY, and then a full day (8am to 5pm) in San Juan, our first port on that cruise.  

PS: Sunset today in San Juan is approximately 6:15pm.

Cruising out of Miami.  Should not take that long I would think.

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

Tami, I couldn't have said it better which is why I didn't.  It's personal preference.  If the OP didn't realize port times, then that's a shame.  For and many others, it's a fantastic port.  So much in fact that I've been back 13 times to Puerto Rico.  Many for cruises, and latesly, as a golf destination for my foursome.  As you mentioned, the food is fantastic......Raices for local food (7 pound pork chop is amazing, as well as the Mofungo), Prillo Pizza Rustica for wood fire pizza are just 2 of the best (in my opinion) places to dine.

However, if it is your choice to stay on the ship because you aren't into the night life, sobeit.  I'm sure the cit of Old San Juan won't miss you.  But again, as many will agree, at night, there is local music playing and live bands.  Taking in the scenery is also an option!  We all could go on, but the theme is this :  Lots to see and do.  If you choose not to get off the ship, stay and dine on the bland food (another OPINION of mine)and don't experience the culture.  No problem!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

We are all different, I personally would love to book a cruise where you only go to the private island for all 7 nights, especially Holland's Half Moon caye, 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hladygirl said:

I mostly book cruises for the price, so even if all the ports were horrific it probably not stop me from buying a budget price cruise.

7 hours ago, mja2573 said:

We will absolutely get out and walk around.  Just would have liked a few hours of sunlight to see the fort etc.  As it is now we dock at 5:30 and sunset is 5:45.   Lets hope they decide to get us in early.  

Without checking the port schedule, there might be a reason for the late dockage...no space earlier.  I'm guessing your going to a port that is close the next day..hence the late stay.  

I will say, I find it odd to book a cruise, knowing the ports etc, then complain.  Make the best of it.  The young teens might enjoy roaming around Old Town with you.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

From my home port of ny, I often see this.  It’s disappointing since I’d like to see the forts and rain forest and can’t with these hours.  I’d definitely get off the ship and have a nice dinner, but I’d be disappointed in this itinerary.  

What about a trip to Fajardo?  We actually came into San Juan a day early to do a bioluminescent bay tour that was a kayak trip through mangrove forest out into a protected bay.  The bay doesn't really light up as much as the ads say, but it was a beautiful night paddle.  I would aim for first tour out.  As the tours start coming back it makes for some interesting crosstraffic in the pitch black. 🙂  El Yunque is a cool park to check out too.  There is a waterfall that is packed and hard to get to but the hiking around the park is fun.  Not sure how late the park stays open...

11 hours ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

What about a trip to Fajardo?  We actually came into San Juan a day early to do a bioluminescent bay tour that was a kayak trip through mangrove forest out into a protected bay.  The bay doesn't really light up as much as the ads say, but it was a beautiful night paddle.  I would aim for first tour out.  As the tours start coming back it makes for some interesting crosstraffic in the pitch black. 🙂  El Yunque is a cool park to check out too.  There is a waterfall that is packed and hard to get to but the hiking around the park is fun.  Not sure how late the park stays open...

I looked into this.  The night we are there happens to be a full moon.  Everything I read says that it's not worth going when it's a full moon.   Not sure if that is true.