Bringing your own luggage on board

Folkfan13

We will be traveling NY to Southampton in PG and returning to NY on QG.     In the past on Princess we always rolled at least one case on board with us, and sometimes will roll all our luggage straight to the room.   Is this done on the QM2?

At both Southampton and NY you will have to put all carry on luggage through the X-ray scanner.  We have brought small carryon size roller suitcase on board with us, but the medium suitcase we left with the porter at the curb.

i do recommend self - disembarkation particurly at NY.

We have had no problems debarking in New York in Grill Class.   We had our carry on with us and our checked luggage was available when we put our feet on land.   Customs was also easy but we always get a porter and breeze through.   He also took us to the taxi.   Well worth the tip and we always give them a good one.

21 hours ago, Folkfan13 said:

We will be traveling NY to Southampton in PG and returning to NY on QG.     In the past on Princess we always rolled at least one case on board with us, and sometimes will roll all our luggage straight to the room.   Is this done on the QM2?

I will have been rolling my roll aboard from Texas to London (to and from the airplane, of course) then To Southamption on the train so I may as well roll it aboard. I also have a large suitcase send, and it appears in my suite usually by the time I have finished unpacking the roll aboard, and even before I go to lunch.

As for dis-embarking, Cunard uses a system that groups passengers departure time by their onward travel plans, earlier onward reservations get earlier time, and other things like accommodation category.  You will be assigned to a color and number combination. If you have a large suitcase, you will pack it and leave it outside your room the night before. 

When they call your color number combination you will leave the ship. You will find your large suitcase in the baggage hall. grouped by color and number. The reason for this system is that it manages the flow off people and baggage through the customs and immigration facilities. 

For the clothing and toiletries you need for the last night and for the following, you will keep your roll aboard to used to exit the ship on arrival morning. Naturally you will roll it off with you. 

All of our bags are rollaboards.  DH and I each bring on our basic rollaboards that fit in aircraft overhead bins.  The larger rollaboard is checked.  We have done both, using the porters and taken them onboard ourselves.  The larger bag is always given to the porter.  

When it comes time to get off the ship, we roll all three of them off ourselves.  This way, we are on our way and no waiting for anyone.  Strictly personal preference.  

Folkfan13,

If I am reading your post correctly, you are asking about embarking (boarding the ship) and not disembarking (getting off the ship). If that's the case, I would recommend keeping at least one small bag with you, with a change of cloths, medicines and any valuables you might be bringing, just in case your other bags were to be temporarily misplaced by the ship luggage handlers. Other than that one bag, turn the rest over to the Cunard luggage handlers at the curb and you will see them next in your cabin when you walk into it. One more recommendation, in addition to the bag tag that Cunard sends you to attach to the outside of your bag, make a copy in place it in your bag on top of everything. This way if your outside tag is accidentally torn off, the first thing that the luggage handler will see when he opens your bag is your name and cabin number.

Thanks to everyone, but yes Jack, I was primarily asking about the embarkation.    The last time on Princess we were upgraded to a suite (and got to the port fairly early) so we rolled all of our luggage on board ourselves and was unpacked before they started serving lunch.   😀

With our Cunard cruise, and the possibility of more cramped waiting spaces in N.Y. and Southampton,  we were trying to decide whether to just take one small roller (with medicines and other essentials) ourselves or to also take the larger suit case and skip the luggage handlers.

I am sure you cannot take on when embarking your large ''hold sized'' suitcases (pretty certain at SOU but not 100% sure about NYC)
  - these large bags are all taken by porters before you go in to the check in area and these are all loaded on to the ship by the handlers 

the security scanners just before you board the ship do not normally screen large suitcases - only all your Carry on luggage and hand bags 

Edited by rog747

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, Folkfan13 said:

I’ve rolled my large suitcase onto the QM2 twice with no problem at Southampton. You will have to put it onto the x-ray scanner belt yourself. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2019 at 2:16 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

One more recommendation, in addition to the bag tag that Cunard sends you to attach to the outside of your bag, make a copy in place it in your bag on top of everything. This way if your outside tag is accidentally torn off, the first thing that the luggage handler will see when he opens your bag is your name and cabin number.

Now that's brilliant!!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Cunard has kindly provided me with four bag tags but I only have two bags.  Now I can usefully employ all four.

Not sure why you wouldn't let the handlers do their job when embarking.  Often your room is not ready when you board and you'll be dragging a large suitcase through crowds--and clogging the hallways where the luggage handlers are very hard trying to the rooms and deliver other's luggage.  Or trying to get into your room while the cabin stewards are trying to get all in order.  Just go to lunch and when you finish your luggage will most likely have arrived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, harpy3 said:

Not sure why you wouldn't let the handlers do their job when embarking.  Often your room is not ready when you board and you'll be dragging a large suitcase through crowds--and clogging the hallways where the luggage handlers are very hard trying to the rooms and deliver other's luggage.  Or trying to get into your room while the cabin stewards are trying to get all in order.  Just go to lunch and when you finish your luggage will most likely have arrived.

Hi harpy3,

Ditto...

Yes, why not start the vacation on the right foot by entrusting your check-in baggages to the handlers at the street side of the terminal.

We start our sailing with peace of mind at the sidewalk outside the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and giving our baggage in and knowing we will next see them in our cabin on board. Why drag those bags thru the terminal, onto a elevator or escalator, up the Gangway and thru the ship.

Relieving ourselves of the stresses from the very beginning is the whole point of looking forward to the Wonderful Sailing Experience on the Queen Mary 2.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, harpy3 said:

Often your room is not ready when you board and you'll be dragging a large suitcase through crowds--and clogging the hallways

On Cunard the rooms are always ready when you board. 

8 hours ago, harpy3 said:

Often your room is not ready when you board

Harpy3,

Sorry you experienced your room not ready with the stewardess/steward still tidying up your cabin.

Could have been one of those times that there was a delay of the previous sailing disembarking or an inspection upon arrival throwing off the turn-around of the ship.

We have been blessed each time we have boarded with the cabin ready and even the stewardess/steward greeting us with our baggage there waiting for us. 

• Like 1