MDR shoes

joy4ron

We will be going on our first cruise in March, and we're wondering about the dress code in the MDR.  I've read the FAQ's on the website, and we don't want to be "those people" who show up wearing the wrong thing.

I see that it says "no flip flops". I'm curious what everyone's experience is.  I typically have a "no socks rule" when I go on vacation, and I normally wear nice leather flip flops- which as I write it, I know I said flip flop.

What kind of shoes have you seen men wearing in the MDR?

Also, I know that a lot of women casual shoes are more like flip flops.  So, we're also curious about women's shoes in the MDR.

Thanks so much

I normally wear Jack Rogers-type sandals such as these:

Image result for jack rogers

However, on my December Elation cruise, my feet swelled so badly I couldn't wear any of the sandals or shoes I had packed.  I picked up a pair of inexpensive rubber flip flops from the Fun Shops and wore them the rest of the cruise, including to the dining room.  They were almost identical to these below but a different color scheme and nothing was ever said.

Image result for havaianas flip flops

8 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Choose wisely. 

One is bueno and one is no bueno. 

A52855AE-064E-4079-89C5-D46F95E9A362.jpeg

D2A56984-5847-47C3-AD91-B27AEB2FCBB6.jpeg

This post. I've worn "sandals" & "flip flops" in the MDR. Always the latter & never the former. If I buy them at Old Navy for $1, they don't belong in MDR. If I buy them at DSW with in mind to pair with a nice dress & would never let them touch the beach, they're probably fair game for dinner. In summer at work we're allowed sandals that aren't "beach wear". If I can wear it at work, it's okay for dinner.

Edited by Drose716
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Oh look, another topic originally posted on Cruise Critic was later used as material by Heald today.

Seriously though, it's Carnival. Wear whatever you will like.

I saw that. Which makes me wonder who “Kathleen ••••” is. Haha

color me guilty (OP). my DW laughs at me for bringing 3 pairs of flips on vacation; nice leather ones for dressy occasions (black and clean ones), and these are not daily wear for me in CA; casual dressy with a nice print on the straps (everyday wear but not beach or for getting dirty; and pool/beach/boat/car wash/bathing suit wear flips for trashing and wearing everywhere.

when i'm on vacation, my feet are too. i have to wear loafers, oxfords, and dressier shoes while working and meeting clients in my real life.

vacations are for fun. i work too hard to play dress-up when on a cruise. what i wear on formal nights is the same as i wear to a high end steak house or nice restaurant. if i need to dress things up, i'll bring a nice dinner coat that's sporty and fun.

the suits? i leave those for weddings and funerals.

come as you are for formal nights, just please shower and look presentable. that's about all anyone will ask of you on Carnival.