Promenade Deck

wrongwaywatson

Our last 2 cruises have been on a Royal Class Ship.   We love many parts of it, but we really did miss walking completely around the Promenade Deck.    I did walk up top, and I liked the little workout stations, but it just wasn't the same to me.  Anyone else feel like this?   I know that I am really looking forward to walking it on my upcoming Crown cruise.

• Like 2

On the Crown you will not be able to walk completely around on the Promenade Deck. To walk all the way around the ship, you will need to go up steps from the Promenade Deck to the Emerald Deck at the forward part of the ship, walk around the Bow and then down on the other side. They may close off the steps if the weather is bad or at night.

Since the Royal Princess was introduced there have been countless posts about this issue. Princess has continued to build Royal class ships without a deck walkaround.

Edited by billco

1 hour ago, PekingeseLady said:

YES, I totally agree with you.  I love a Promenade Deck too.  Being able to walk around the whole ship on a lower deck, so close to the Ocean is a favorite of mine too!  I think it should be a standard for all cruise ships.

I also like the promenade decks where you can walk all the way around.  Nice!  The promenade decks on grand class and many other Princess ships are also nicely sheltered, too, so one can often continue walking even if there is light rain or, yikes! Even snow💧💦🌨☂☃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billco said:

On the Crown you will not be able to walk completely around on the Promenade Deck. To walk all the way around the ship, you will need to go up steps from the Promenade Deck to the Emerald Deck at the forward part of the ship, walk around the Bow and then down on the other side. They may close off the steps if the weather is bad or at night.

Since the Royal Princess was introduced there have been countless posts about this issue. Princess has continued to build Royal class ships without a deck walkaround.

These promenade decks are great, even if you do have to go up steps to go around the bow.  Still nicely sheltered and the trip around the bow is so scenic.  I love it!😌🙂🐋🐬🐳🌅🌈

• Like 1

Agree with the promenade being a great feature on the older ships, that someone decided was unnecessary on the Royal/Regal (and I assume the Majestic).  It was especially nice to have on the Star when we were in Glacier Bay a few years ago!  It was a gray, cold day in May.  They served hot drinks out there that day, which was a nice treat!  And one could easily pop back inside to warm up, if necessary.  Not many pax out there.  But if you wanted good photos, you had to be out there.

Also enjoyed sitting out on the promenade deck on sea days in the Caribbean--didn't have to worry about sunburn 😉.

Edited by BarbinMich

4 hours ago, RNRcruisers said:

We have so far avoided ships that don't have a promenade deck. That is one of our favorite spots for a quiet afternoon and also a stroll after dinner. If I can help it, we won't go on a ship without one.

I agree!  Thanks for saying so!  I need that nice, sheltered all the way around promenade deck🙂🐳🐋🐬🌞

I'm another promenade deck junkie.  I finally booked a cruise on the Regal last fall and regretted not have the wraparound promenade deck.  The Sun and Sea had the best promenade decks with room for loungers. 

Edited by rogerdawhip

4 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

These promenade decks are great, even if you do have to go up steps to go around the bow.  Still nicely sheltered and the trip around the bow is so scenic.  I love it!😌🙂🐋🐬🐳🌅🌈

I agree! The part up around the bow is my very favorite.

• Like 1

We have loved the promenade deck on our previous cruises as well. I love that it's sheltered, and closer to the water. I love that we have been able to walk all the way around the ship. I love that when the interior is a bit crowded we can pop out to the promenade to take the "scenic route" around the crowds. We love the loungers on the Promenade as well as a nice spot to relax and watch the waves or read a book. 

On our upcoming cruise on the Grand we booked a Window Suite. At first we were a bit sad to lose the balcony, but when we realized the stairs were right by our room and we could go up one flight and have the biggest balcony ever (the Promenade) we were sold.  

• Like 1

To start with...yes there is something special about walking round the Promenade....

On the grand class ship walking round the bow on deck 8 is amazing ( if it is open ) as most of time it is empty... it is like being in a different world...   ( at sea it is a little spooky sometimes )

It is part of being on a cruise......  what is main line cruise ship are going away from.... it is all about the inside ... they are becoming floating hotels....   This is why we go for aft balcony, it is like your own private view.

We go on a cruise to be at sea... there is some wonder about going for an early morning walk before breakfast round the top deck.... looking at sea.... and seeing the horizon in every direction   

less than two weeks till at sea again

Cheers Don

• Like 2

I love the promenade deck even if I have to go up a flight of stairs.  I enjoy walking, staring out at the water and just relaxing with a book.  I also enjoy the shade and the ocean breezes.  I stay away from ships without a promenade deck.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Our last 2 cruises have been on a Royal Class Ship.   We love many parts of it, but we really did miss walking completely around the Promenade Deck.    I did walk up top, and I liked the little workout stations, but it just wasn't the same to me.  Anyone else feel like this?   I know that I am really looking forward to walking it on my upcoming Crown cruise.

yes, I feel the same... we went on the Royal... not our favorite ship.    We are going on the Grand and the Coral for our next 3 cruises... very happy to enjoy promenade deck... we actually spend time there every day.  

This is one thing I really like about the Disney ships.  They have fantastic, full wraparound, wide promenade decks.  In fact, depending on which ship, it serves as the jogging track, which is why I love it.  2.5 or 3 laps per mile sure beats 7-12 laps per mile...

I was was OK with the stairs up and down from the bow area on the grand class ships, especially after a cruise on the new Regal. Then I sailed the Sun with her pukka teak deck that went all the way round the ship! OK no nice views from the bow as they have all the machinery up front, but she was my favorite for promenade walks.

We try to cruise only on ships with full wrap around promenade decks. But, this is getting more and more difficult. The cruise lines seem to have made the decision that the space could generate more revenue by using the space for other things; like cabins or restaurant outdoor seating. Sad.