Carnival Magic DJ troubles

shof515

It’s going to be very quiet on the ship if you ban all music by any artist that has alcohol abuse/ drug abuse/ domestic abuse/ sexual abuse/ psychiatric issues or history.

Doesn’t matter the genre. Country, rock, blues, R&B, Jazz, even gospel

• Like 3

Did anyone click the link and read the article? I did. Couldn't help myself. LOL! Imagine that, a bunch of ministers/priests/clergy, etc... throwing a fit because the DJ played "Bump and Grind", then later played "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke. LMAO!! I can't stand R Kelly either, but c'mon...who here CANNOT help themselves but dance like fire when they hear Blurred Lines?!?! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, shof515 said:

DJ plays r kelly songs in the nightclub. some people do not like it and complain: https://people.com/travel/church-officials-call-out-carnival-cruise-line-dj-refuses-stop-playing-r-kelly/

Its impossible to keep all music from disgraced musicians out of play.

Michael Jackson certainly had his controversies...and yet they have Thriller dance contests and Michael Jackson nights.    Oh well... Just enjoy the music..  you cant get rid of  every music, art, product etc. that a controversial person ever created.   Same goes for sports...we watch even though some of the players may have done some terrible things in their lives.  

• Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, shellster1 said:

Did anyone click the link and read the article? I did. Couldn't help myself. LOL! Imagine that, a bunch of ministers/priests/clergy, etc... throwing a fit because the DJ played "Bump and Grind", then later played "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke. LMAO!! I can't stand R Kelly either, but c'mon...who here CANNOT help themselves but dance like fire when they hear Blurred Lines?!?! 

I didn’t read the article.  My hubby is a pastor and well people would be very offended if they looked at my run and working play list 😂 and we will  be happy to go to the club on the ship. If I do not like something I don’t have to go to it. Kinda goes back to being religious vs Christian stuff. Once had a pastor we know say he would never allow a certain missionary to come to his church to speak because he found out he drinks. 😂 I’m like well better not come to our church because the leadership as well as the entire worship team recently went to a bar for trivia night.  Some people need to realize their ideas of what is acceptable and what is not doesn’t mean it’s someone else’s.   My favorite quote ever is “I think you have overestimated the importance of your opinion “.  I use it where needed lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bingomamma19 said:

Its impossible to keep all music from disgraced musicians out of play.

Michael Jackson certainly had his controversies...and yet they have Thriller dance contests and Michael Jackson nights.    

The problem with Micheal Jackson is...complicated. He was a great artist but he was so deeply troubled in his personal life that he did questionable things that caused people to want to take advantage of him (which it was proved later, IIRC, that the parents who were suing him were only doing so just to take advantage of his wealth). 

On 2/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, shellster1 said:

Edited by Mommawo

As a Wedding DJ, I can add this...  The R.Kelly thing has been a topic of numerous debates recently.  It's getting pretty old actually...  Just like "Baby I'ts Cold Outside" was a few months ago, and "Blurred Lines" before that, as well as countless others.  If you connect the controversy of the artist to the music always you wouldn't be able to play at least 50% of all music...  Jerry Lee Lewis had a thing for young girls too, but would the same church group be offended by "Great Balls of Fire"???    

My opinion...  I like R. Kelly's music even though I despise the man himself.  I would not be offended by hearing a song.  This is media hype mostly...  And yes, it is totally right to vilify the man.  But "Bump & Grind" is part of my life...  

But honestly, my opinion doesn't matter here.  As a DJ, I do NOT think he was wrong for playing the song initially...  BUT he was VERY wrong for rubbing it in and basically taunting his own audience.  There's plenty of other good songs to play.  Don't make fun of the guests...

My question here is...  would the same church group have been offended by Cardi B or Nicki Minaj's sick lyrics?  

Edited by Futureman3000
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Futureman3000 said:

As a Wedding DJ, I can add this...  The R.Kelly thing has been a topic of numerous debates recently.  It's getting pretty old actually...  Just like "Baby I'ts Cold Outside" was a few months ago, and "Blurred Lines" before that, as well as countless others.  If you connect the controversy of the artist to the music always you wouldn't be able to play at least 50% of all music...  Jerry Lee Lewis had a thing for young girls too, but would the same church group be offended by "Great Balls of Fire"???    

My opinion...  I like R. Kelly's music even though I despise the man himself.  I would not be offended by hearing a song.  This is media hype mostly...  And yes, it is totally right to vilify the man.  But "Bump & Grind" is part of my life...  

But honestly, my opinion doesn't matter here.  As a DJ, I do NOT think he was wrong for playing the song initially...  BUT he was VERY wrong for rubbing it in and basically taunting his own audience.  There's plenty of other good songs to play.  Don't make fun of the guests...

My question here is...  would the same church group have been offended by Cardi B or Nicki Minaj's sick lyrics?  

I just read the article one of my issues with it is the anonymous person who has a compliant.  If you are that offended then put your name out there. You can’t get media attention and then hid your identity. Idk just doesn’t sit well with me. If someone comes to us and has a complaint from an  Anonymous source hen we won’t even entertain it.  Second is they spent days of cruise emailing and complaining and then wanted compensation?! Um move the hell on enjoy the cruise and email and complain later if you don’t get the results you think you need with management on ship but why do you get compensated for the way you choose to spend the rest of the cruise.  

Also don’t like the music then leave where it is playing someone else may have requested the song. 

Nope the DJ should not have behaved that way if in fact he did.  Also did some of their actions provoke such behavior in the first place? Not that it makes it right for him to behave that way. I just think we heard one side of the story of some offended people who probably should not have gone in there to start with if they are easily offended 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, Don Kehote said:

I, FOR ONE, AM OFFENDED THAT THEY WERE OFFENDED, AND DEMAND COMPENSATION.

Yes.....this exactly.......lol

Seriously though, there is no possible way for every single person in the world to NOT be offended all at the same time. There will always be someone out there who is offended by something. But everyone also needs to remember that everyone else has the right to their own opinion and to participate in activities that they enjoy. Yes, there are lines to what is appropriate and what is not and people need to understand that certain activities/media/music/etc are appropriate in certain venues. R Kelly music in a nightclub is totally appropriate for that venue. In the kids club, not so much.

Each of us is responsible for making our own choices. When you choose to go to a venue in which something that is offensive to you is deemed appropriate, then that is on you. Go find another activity to enjoy....that is your right. But you can't go to a restaurant and complain that people are eating, or to a bar and complain that people are drinking, or sit in the smoking section and complain about the smoke.

• Like 1

If you read the article, 63 WOMEN in a group asking a DJ NOT to play a song that is lyrics-wise abusive to women. 

HE, the DJ, basically thumbed his nose  at them.  And even later appeared in another venue and when they came in tried to play the song again.

This is pure stupidity on the DJ's part.  As far as the women, as a group, they are perfectly within their rights to request an artist not to be played. And looks like they then left.  When they turned up at the other venue and the DJ tried to play the same music, that was the trigger.

Yes I get that it's the music not the lyrics that are the attraction to D Kelly, but the CD or Entertainment Director needs to give the DJ a good talking to about respect.   Compensation for the women?  Nope. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

If you read the article, 63 WOMEN in a group asking a DJ NOT to play a song that is lyrics-wise abusive to women. 

HE, the DJ, basically thumbed his nose  at them.  And even later appeared in another venue and when they came in tried to play the song again.

This is pure stupidity on the DJ's part.  As far as the women, as a group, they are perfectly within their rights to request an artist not to be played. And looks like they then left.  When they turned up at the other venue and the DJ tried to play the same music, that was the trigger.

Yes I get that it's the music not the lyrics that are the attraction to D Kelly, but the CD or Entertainment Director needs to give the DJ a good talking to about respect.   Compensation for the women?  Nope. 

According to a blog post on RevGalBlogPals, an online community for clergywomen, on Jan. 6, a group of 63 women who hold various positions in the Christian ministry boarded an 8-day cruise on the ship Carnival Magic. The trip was meant to foster “fellowship and professional development,” the post states.

On the second night of their cruise, several women from the group went to a nightclub on the ship and the DJ (DJ Bl4ck Zoe) reportedly began to play “Bump N’ Grind” by R. Kelly, Reverend Julia Seymour tells PEOPLE. 

Says several women not all 63 of them if you read the article.  It does go on to say other women that were on the ship had an issue with it and this is also one side of the story.  The cruise ship decides what is on the play list.  He may have very well been out of line but also it’s on the play list they told him to use.  Should throw a fit of a new channel is on tv that I don’t agree with ? Should I spend my vacation emailing because I don’t like whatever tv stations they choose ?  Nope I turn the channel and move on like an adult because something triggers me doesn’t make it ok for me to make them change it 

56 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Never ceases to amaze me to what lengths some people will go to get a refund. They were in a night club after midnight!

Grandma always said nothing good happens after midnight get your butt home well before.  The other thing that sticks out to me is they ran into said dj later on that night at something else and he plays the same song. Sooo you are out after what 2 am? Didn’t say where the second encounter happened