Carnival Magic DJ troubles

shof515

In reference to the DJ behaving unprofessionally - that's a call for management.  I am willing to bet that the group of women did not approach the booth and quietly and with great respect ask that the DJ not play R Kelly.  I can not imagine that any crew member on board a ship - particularly one on the Entertainment Staff - just decided to be a total jerk for absolutely no reason.  I've known a few that may have needed a little encouragement to go the extra mile, but to blatantly be in a group's face seems a little far fetched.  Carnival giving them a $100 credit just encourages people to complain and complain and complain.......  They seem like a real fun group to hang out with!!

2 hours ago, Mommawo said:

The cruise ship decides what is on the play list.  He may have very well been out of line but also it’s on the play list they told him to use.  

I know DJ's who have worked on cruise ships, and no the cruise ship does not dictate the songs...  that is what they hire the DJ for.

What likely happened here is that the women were heckling him about it... so he decided to troll them back.  As a DJ who regularly deals with rude drunk guests making bad requests, I can relate.  He should not have mocked them though.  He should have just played some Chris Brown and trolled them indirectly.

Edited by Futureman3000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Futureman3000 said:

I know DJ's who have worked on cruise ships, and no the cruise ship does not dictate the songs...  that is what they hire the DJ for.

What likely happened here is that the women were heckling him about it... so he decided to troll them back.  As a DJ who regularly deals with rude drunk guests making bad requests, I can relate.  He should not have mocked them though.  He should have just played some Chris Brown and trolled them indirectly.

From the article 

On the fifth day of their eight-night cruise, the blog post claims the DJ was removed from his role for the rest of the trip, but Carnival reportedly refused to remove R. Kelly’s music from their playlists because, they said, the Carnival Cruise Line corporation decides which songs are played on all 26 of their vessels.

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

If you read the article, 63 WOMEN in a group asking a DJ NOT to play a song that is lyrics-wise abusive to women. 

HE, the DJ, basically thumbed his nose  at them.  And even later appeared in another venue and when they came in tried to play the song again.

This is pure stupidity on the DJ's part.  As far as the women, as a group, they are perfectly within their rights to request an artist not to be played. And looks like they then left.  When they turned up at the other venue and the DJ tried to play the same music, that was the trigger.

Yes I get that it's the music not the lyrics that are the attraction to D Kelly, but the CD or Entertainment Director needs to give the DJ a good talking to about respect.   Compensation for the women?  Nope. 

Do these 63 women own the ship and can dictate what others can or can't do? I don't know which is more offensive. The 63 women or D Kelly. 

Edited by sfaaa

11 hours ago, andie717 said:

It's amusing reading though!  Especially Carnival's response.  🙂

Omg loooove carnivals reply to them.  🎤 drop. I wish other companies would stand up like that.  They are trying to bully carnival and it appears carnival is having none of it 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Imagine going on a week-long vacation and the only memory you brought home was that they played Bump and Grind in the night club

And continuing to fight for justice of being triggered from hearing that song well after the cruise.  What church spends 200 k on cruises also??? That last link someone posted said they had spent 200k on carnival in the past? What!!? I admit I just skimmed the last link maybe I should read it better.  They did post info of all the carnival employees they wanted people to email and complain to for them 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mommawo said:

Omg loooove carnivals reply to them.  🎤 drop. I wish other companies would stand up like that.  They are trying to bully carnival and it appears carnival is having none of it 

Right?  WHY would they expect their expenses to be reimbursed??  LOL

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, andie717 said:

Right?  WHY would they expect their expenses to be reimbursed??  LOL

Even more distateful than the litany of outrageous demands this group wants after hearing a song they found offensive (and not bowed down to with gushing apologies and full refunds) is the fact they are using the situation as an opportunity to solicit donations from like-minded zealots:

I wonder what their actions would be had this happened at a neighborhood bar in their hometown? 

• Like 1

R. Kelly made so much gospel music with crossover secular appeal that I think we should forgive his alleged transgressions due to the amount of people who he has introduced to religion. I wonder how many people got more interested in church after hearing “I Belive I Can Fly”. 

No one is perfect last I checked! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Wow they better not go into the piano bar late at night either.

If you do not like the content vote with your feet and leave.

Tell em Stew, good to see you back .

15 hours ago, repo-cruiser said:

So here is what I take from the comments. 

1) It is ok to be a religaphobe and intolerant to them.

2) So what if he is a pedophile it wasn't my kid he molested play his really awful music.. Would you leave him alone with your kid for hours?  That's what I thought

Bwahahahaha religaphobe? That’s a new one.  I’m not religious and I’m the pastors wife.  Religion is very different than Christianity.  

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mommawo said:

I didn’t read the article.  My hubby is a pastor and well people would be very offended if they looked at my run and working play list 😂 and we will  be happy to go to the club on the ship. If I do not like something I don’t have to go to it. Kinda goes back to being religious vs Christian stuff. Once had a pastor we know say he would never allow a certain missionary to come to his church to speak because he found out he drinks. 😂 I’m like well better not come to our church because the leadership as well as the entire worship team recently went to a bar for trivia night.  Some people need to realize their ideas of what is acceptable and what is not doesn’t mean it’s someone else’s.   My favorite quote ever is “I think you have overestimated the importance of your opinion “.  I use it where needed lol

If I were in your area I would want to go to your church!

Sounds like it may be a lot like one Church where I was an Elder.  Another Elder had a NYE party, one of the Pastors and her spouse attended as well as several other Elders and Deacons.  We ended up the night playing "Cards Against Humanity."  And. yes, we even had beer and wine!

6 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

If I were in your area I would want to go to your church!

Sounds like it may be a lot like one Church where I was an Elder.  Another Elder had a NYE party, one of the Pastors and her spouse attended as well as several other Elders and Deacons.  We ended up the night playing "Cards Against Humanity."  And. yes, we even had beer and wine!

Yup we host bonfires here. And of course in Tennessee there is probably some moonshine Lol.  Sounds like a great church! Hey being a Christian doesn’t mean you have to be a fun sucker and yes cards against humanity is big fun 

• Like 1