Opinion of the Edge poll New to Celebrity and those loyal to Celebrity   

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which best fits your opinion of the Edge

• New to Celebrity and liked the Edge
    • New to Celebrity and was not impressed with the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and liked the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and was not impressed with the Edge

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The pizza is not at a faraway location on S Class ships.  It’s actually at the entrance to the buffet.

It was a problem on Edge because by the time we walked back to the rest of the buffet, the pizza was cold.  Or if we tried to get hot food (soup, pasta etc) and then go to the pizza, the hot food was cold.

i am curious where you think another bar, or a card room, could be added.  They can’t invent space.  

But more to the point, I don’t see Celebrity wanting to add another bar or a card room. From all of the impressions I got, they seemed to think that edge was just perfect as it is.

Someone mentioned that a part of Eden has been designated as a card room during the day.  We had no problem with the location of the pizza bar, maybe a 20-30 second walk tops, I’ll time it in April.

Edited by Oville

We (twelve...three fousomes) went all overlooking fo a place to three tables of bridge.  The first suggestion, a place called the club, was freezing cold and dark and had nowhere appropriate for us to sit.  Then we went to Eden, where we saw some people playing what I think I must have been Gin rummy,  sitting in uncomfortable chairs and leaning low over tables. You can’t play bridge that way. Finally we went to the tables inside the solarium after lunch was over. But we never found anywhere in the morning where we could play, so we gave up. Have they changed something in Eden so bridge players can get together there?  I can’t imagine where.

14 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

We (twelve...three fousomes) went all overlooking fo a place to three tables of bridge.  The first suggestion, a place called the club, was freezing cold and dark and had nowhere appropriate for us to sit.  Then we went to Eden, where we saw some people playing what I think I must have been Gin rummy,  sitting in uncomfortable chairs and leaning low over tables. You can’t play bridge that way. Finally we went to the tables inside the solarium after lunch was over. But we never found anywhere in the morning where we could play, so we gave up. Have they changed something in Eden so bridge players can get together there?  I can’t imagine where.

Here is copy of the Feb 25th Today from Chicagopaul’s blog:

CCD70B80-D5CE-47A8-8BE1-379AAF2822EA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Someone mentioned that a part of Eden has been designated as a card room during the day.  We had no problem with the location of the pizza bar, maybe a 20-30 second walk tops, I’ll time it in April.

I wonder if this was the area in Eden for card playing?

image.png.7f50c155c8969fcbbee5fb7bab059923.png

30 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

14 minutes ago, Oville said:

Here is copy of the Feb 25th Today from Chicagopaul’s blog:

CCD70B80-D5CE-47A8-8BE1-379AAF2822EA.jpeg

Perhaps the lower level (as described in the above photo)  is referring to the table height 🤣?

I wonder if card-playing area is in Eden Restaurant since they don't serve breakfast and lunch there. There are quite a few tables like this that can be pushed together and other larger ones:

image.thumb.png.1d62a01114355be78f1e6757907a269d.png

Edited by vtcruising

Post 79, isnt that Eden Cafe?  We tried it for lunch one day and didnt care for it.  Its in use for breakfast and lunch so no cardplaying can take place there.  More likely the area in post 81, but we were shooed away from when we tried to re-arrange tables and chairs.  Perhaps they are allowing it now.

2 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Post 79, isnt that Eden Cafe?  We tried it for lunch one day and didnt care for it.  Its in use for breakfast and lunch so no cardplaying can take place there.  More likely the area in post 81, but we were shooed away from when we tried to re-arrange tables and chairs.  Perhaps they are allowing it now.

No, it isn't in Eden Cafe - it is in the main area on Deck 5 near the doorway to the Cafe (it is around the corner), but people might want to bring food out there.

I wonder too if they meant the restaurant (#81). The other area would be busier. Hope they are letting people use that space in the restaurant! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

4 hours ago, Oville said:

When we cruised in January we did not see or hear about  a designated area for card playing in EDEN .  There were about 5 or 6 reg height dining tables and chairs near the bar that were apparently placed there for eating lunch .Card players took up a few of them  so no place to eat indoors . .other than on the  close to the floor chairs and tbls.  Folks shared fir lunch but the card players did not move!

Downstairs in the EDen  restaurant sounds like a good spot

Maybe along the wide walkway to EDEN that has some seating  across from  Tiffany...that might wirk

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I wonder if card-playing area is in Eden Restaurant since they don't serve breakfast and lunch there. There are quite a few tables like this that can be pushed together and other larger ones:

image.thumb.png.1d62a01114355be78f1e6757907a269d.png

That’s my assumption since it is described as “at the lower level.  Access from deck 5 Aft”.

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I wonder if this was the area in Eden for card playing?

image.png.7f50c155c8969fcbbee5fb7bab059923.png

Indoor  EDEN Lunch area that was being used for cards

Edited by hcat

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

That’s my assumption since it is described as “at the lower level.  Access from deck 5 Aft”.

This must be the location..EDEN lower level restaurant.

I am not a card player but see card playing in Cafe Baccio, Buffet, Solarium..so not sure this space will catch on.??

Obviously a constituence X must take into account...like the trivia players

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Was anything ever done to make Eden Restaurant accessible by a scooter?  The elevator back there is unusable because of the way the doors are configured.

Is it unusable or awkward? 

• Like 1

I thought the Edge had very good food and some great features but the strong negatives on some things like the balcony cabins and a few other things increase the negatives. Change the Edge to regular balconies and I think the reviews would be much better.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, TeeRick said:

I think the main question for long time Celebrity cruisers who have been on Edge:

"If Edge was priced equivalently to other Celebrity ships for your cabin choice, would you sail on her again?"  

For me it was but that's because DH and I booked right away so it was no more expensive than any other ship.  I wouldn't pay a premium to be on it...but I might be just slightly more.  I really, really was surprised at how much I liked The Edge.  I would love to sail her again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Can you share some positive and negatives?  I like knowing specifics like cabin type, restaurants etc.

Thanks!

Sailed the March 3 Edge cruise. Many positives including the decor as well as the food and the hand washing stations when entering the buffet area. Personally like the old "martini bar" setting versus a downsized area with the rest more like a bar lounge. No issues with getting loungers around the pool or elsewhere. Checking in with the new app was great. Rooms were ready as soon as we were on board and keys were at the door to our IV. The IV was different and my only issue was when the captain decides to close the windows for whatever reason. You can be sitting on the "balcony" enjoying the weather and the window is closed with no warning?

Staff were great and ship very clean

Pricing high for the upscale dining ie $50 pp versus perhaps $25-$30 on other Celebrity ships. Also did not like the fact that the front of the ship seems to be exclusive to suite guests [which we do on occasion] and no Horizon type lounge [or at least none that we found].

The onboard shopping did not seem to have a lot of interest but perhaps indicates who Celebrity thinks is the target market for the Edge. Very upscale.

A negative also would be lack of a library area [not a rolling cart with ten books], no areas where quieter music played [string quartets etc] and many area too loud. Did not like paying the $100 charge to eat in the upscale steakhouse and yet the music comes from whoever is playing in the Martini Bar area or from the noise in that lounge area. Takes away from the ambience.

Areas such as the Sunset Bar, Rooftop Garden and Magic Carpet can be very windy and at times almost impossible to eat or drink there because of the wind. Was told that there is some work being done to reduce wind at RoofTop Garden.

Overall a pleasant experience but am in the category of "been there done that". Booked our next four cruises on Summit, Reflection [2x] and Silhouette. Hopefully the updating of the vessels over the next few years does not negatively impact the ambience that we prefer.

Glad we did try the Edge out.

4 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

For me it was but that's because DH and I booked right away so it was no more expensive than any other ship.  I wouldn't pay a premium to be on it...but I might be just slightly more.  I really, really was surprised at how much I liked The Edge.  I would love to sail her again.

Some of these crack me up. Hated New Coke, no clue what an Edsel is, but really enjoyed the Edge.

Small bars, lack of a library, not things we used so not a concern for us. We did enjoy many things about the Edge and won't redo my review here, but were also critical in writing and on the phone when they reached out to us.

One thing they appreciated with our comments was that we said something was not good, we offered a suggestion to make it better. This gave them something that they could pass on to the higher ups other then fill in the blank ______ was awful.

Not sure if us liking it had to do with the cruise lines we came from, our tastes, or both. We didn't have an infinite veranda room, so maybe that would have changed our opinion a bit.

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

Not sure if us liking it had to do with the cruise lines we came from, our tastes, or both. We didn't have an infinite veranda room, so maybe that would have changed our opinion a bit.

And that’s why I think the poll doesn’t actually show us the perspective from those in different cabin categories. You are a new X cruiser and the current results basically cancel each other out for those liking or not liking the Edge for new cruisers. However, for all we know, all those that have stated they are long time X cruisers and loved the experience, may have all been staying in suites. Nowhere does it differentiate between actual cabins occupied.

We know there are a few pax, even Hosts here on CC, who boarded and upgraded to a suite straight away after viewing their IVs. I still believe you would have a totally different experience when sailing on the same ship but in a different category i.e. same aeroplane but totally different experience in first class than coach (and before anyone states it, I’m not bashing those paying for the suite experience, I’m highlighting the fact that cruising in a suite on Edge will be a totally different experience from an IV).

Edited by villauk