Not Understanding Pricing - Can you Help?

MizDemeanor

Maybe you can help me better understand what is occuring with web pricing. I see AQ cabins in the Tiles Format for selection, some are $1,159 and some are $1,229 for example. When I go thorugh the next steps and get to final pricing page, the price of the cruise is increased to $1,579 pp and there is a promotional discount of $300.00 (total) as a deduct but that still does not take the fare to either of the two cabin prices on the selction Tiles. I do see ther are symbols about ad blockers and must wait to see Offer Details, but I am not getting what is occurring and creatign this pricing delta.

Do you know? 

The lower $1,159 price is usually for a guarantee'd AQ cabin which will be chosen for you.

The higher 1,229 price is if you select your own cabin. (I suggest you select your own because many AQ cabins are under noisy areas or have large balcony overhangs.)

When you get to the final pricing page, they show you the gross price less the promotional discount.  I'm guessing the difference between the tile price and the final price shown will be reflected in an onboard credit.

My suggestion is to look at pricing also on one of the huge online travel agencies or cruise specialty TA's.  Sometimes it's clearer when you look at how they break out the pricing (and sometimes it's even cheaper than on Celebrity's site. 

• Like 2

The difference is price is usually due to the perks that are included that are included in the price. Sometimes the perks, like a drink package are a bargain, usually not. They want to make you believe that you are getting something for free and in most cases you are not. Not unusual in the travel industry.

• Like 1

A lower price than you are getting when selecting is usually an indication of a Special Rate - Senior, Residential etc.   On Celebrity site, if you don't go to offers (drop down under advance search) and select to see these rates they will not be shown. 

As others have said try a Big Travel site or Airline to search -  you will often see the Special Rates but be warned they usually do not include any perks.

google the words Cruise Compete, and let travel agents bid for your business, great prices and shipboard credits abound!

I have $800 shipboard credit for my next cruise and a free perk (as per Celebrity) that I would not have had if I booked directly.  

Hi-

Its a mystery to me still. There is a separate line item for port fees nd taxes and its what they say it should be at x-y-x pp. There is a separate line for the GoBest package as well.

To me if the selection says the cabin A2 is $1,159 (which is also the same for a Guarantee) and the A1 is $1,229, then that is what should translate over to the booking. Not $1,579.

If I book on the web on NCL for example, the cabin selection price is the price when moving to booking, not this fuzzy stuff.

There must be something I am still not seeing that is creating the delta in base price.  It did the same thing of one of the big web sites which had about a dozen promotional options which didn't make it any less confusing, but the price ended up the same as the X Web site with apples to apples promtions selected.

19 hours ago, Orator said:

The difference is price is usually due to the perks that are included that are included in the price. Sometimes the perks, like a drink package are a bargain, usually not. They want to make you believe that you are getting something for free and in most cases you are not. Not unusual in the travel industry.

I guess those are the free perks they advertise?

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As others have said try a Big Travel site or Airline to search -  you will often see the Special Rates but be warned they usually do not include any perks.

That has NEVER EVER been our experience.  I'm fact, in most Celebrity sailings, our large online TA has cheaper rates than X, includes the 1-3 perks AND covers our gratuities.  No, I'm not kidding or exaggerating.  I'm an ex accountant and can assure you I know exactly how to compare the value of our fares (which is absolutely NOT just the cost of the cabin.)

We sail in the cheap seats, getting the cheapest cabin that gives us the X perks, typically a guarantee OV cabin.  Maybe results are different when you book the expensive cabins - but I doubt it.

I'm looking at the AQ cabins on the 4/6 sailing on Summit.

As it happens, the cruise consultant called me on my courtesy hold and we went over the pricing at length. She has the patience of a saint. 

In the end, its the way X does things, its a bit of a come on, the pricing they show is a base fare without any perks whatsoever, no CC no Resident, no senior, no etc. So if any of promotions are chosen, then the fare increases "to be the pricing to be eligible for Promotions". So there is a bit of a recapture in the mix.

In the end, my analysis is that there is a come-on pricing that isn't really disclosed as pricing that includes NOTHING at all. But I do beleive that the Promotion Bundle now that I am looking at is less costly and is overall discounted than if I were to ala carte every item in the bundle ad hoc with a very basic fare.

What can I say, its a trip!

Edited by MizDemeanor

1 hour ago, kenevenpar said:

I guess those are the free perks they advertise?

The problem with "Free perks" is that they are not actually free... they may be included but not free. If you qualify for senior, residential or other discount... that will be significantly cheaper than the price with the "free" perks. I generally prefer to take the senior or residential discount unless the difference is less than cost of gratuities...   We are elite so the beverage package is not of value to me.   I like to put together a spreadsheet and track prices... across a couple of sites... also pick a class of cabin... makes it easier to compare... for example a C2 vs just a balcony cabin.... so you are comparing apples to apples. Note Celebrity site does not tell you the category... you need to check cabin number and compare on deck plan... so sometimes it is easier to use an online site to check prices by category. They do not make it easy.

I guess I wouldn’t call it a price that includes nothing at all. It’s the base fare for the cruise. IF you want a perk, that increases the price.

If not you have the cost of the cruise, your stateroom, meals, entertainment, etc.

The perks are NOT free, never have been, but are sometimes less, sometimes more than buying the items individually. If you have a choice for instance of prepaid tips (worth $270 as an example) OR a $300 obc, then the obc is the better offer. Take the obc, pay your tips with that and you have $30 left over. Sometimes it works like that.

Senior and resident rates are usually less than the base fare, but without any perks.

Clear as mud? Lol

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

That has NEVER EVER been our experience.  I'm fact, in most Celebrity sailings, our large online TA has cheaper rates than X, includes the 1-3 perks AND covers our gratuities.  No, I'm not kidding or exaggerating. 

I agree with this.  I think we use the same TA.

• Like 1

Yes, from my discussions with the consultant the senior and resident rates are a bit less than the base fare. And NO perks. I suppose one could still buy a package for internet or beverage at prevailing rates if they wanted to. 

It's a pricing stucture that requires a lot of work to sort out and analyze. Im not used to it but I have learned a good bit. Some other lines do make it much easier. 

And the consultant readily admitted that the pricing is very hard for most to follow, if they can follow it at all. 

:classic_huh:

3 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

Hi-

Its a mystery to me still. There is a separate line item for port fees nd taxes and its what they say it should be at x-y-x pp. There is a separate line for the GoBest package as well.

To me if the selection says the cabin A2 is $1,159 (which is also the same for a Guarantee) and the A1 is $1,229, then that is what should translate over to the booking. Not $1,579.

If I book on the web on NCL for example, the cabin selection price is the price when moving to booking, not this fuzzy stuff.

There must be something I am still not seeing that is creating the delta in base price.  It did the same thing of one of the big web sites which had about a dozen promotional options which didn't make it any less confusing, but the price ended up the same as the X Web site with apples to apples promtions selected.

It would help if you let us know what Ship, Date and Cabin Type you are looking.  

You mentioned booking onboard NCL -  This is the Celebrity board so if your booking NCL their sub-board may be a better place.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

It would help if you let us know what Ship, Date and Cabin Type you are looking.  

You mentioned booking onboard NCL -  This is the Celebrity board so if your booking NCL their sub-board may be a better place.

Hi I had mentioned in one of the posts I was looking at Summit April 6th in an AQ cabin. If you are game to give it a try. 

By way of explanation, we have had a few NCL cruises since a Celebrity cruise, I don't recall any of this on X and I am sure that any time I have booked NCL I got the price that was listed. That was why my mention of NCL. 

I'm going to take a stab at Celebrity Math -

First -  Prices shown are Always Exclusive of Port and Tax Fees -   On the first page you will see a little * that indicates the amount.

On the example -

fare00.thumb.jpg.a985a7bd5967bdbf52f02b698160b3ae.jpg

Lowest Rate for an Aqua is $719 plus the tax and port.  

1988090326_Rate000.thumb.jpg.7f03e468df5f9bad7a5fd047bea80640.jpg

When I choose Aqua it shows 3 selections -

They will Aqua 1, Aqua 2 and Cheapest Rate Guarantee.   The Save up to $300 is for the total room discount not per person.

1113356485_rate0000.thumb.jpg.e6642fa1ae2a3aeb829149905357e912.jpg

When I choose the $949 it gives me a selection of the Aqua 2 cabin

Fare1.jpg.3687b7826c99c04843030d87f8943be9.jpg

When you select the room it gives you a choice on perks -    If you have a discounted fare with no perks where the complimentary is shown it will show you the cost of adding perks -  you can also go to next tab and all GoBest.   In this example two perks included

224673484_FareA.jpg.775fba8ba350442a065fd87ead227824.jpg

Finally you get the Fare Calculation -   Standard is $1,099 per person plus a $300 discount for 2 or $150 per person.

$1,099 less $150   = the  $949 shown as the lowest price.   BUT--- NOW YOU HAVE TO ADD THE TAX AND PORT OF $105.50 per person

Fare3.jpg.e4833ebb4ca0fad690ddebe9b7034111.jpg

Hope this helps.

Fare2.jpg

fare0.jpg

• Like 2

Here is what I have for the 4/6 Sailing of the Summit:

Cruise Fare              $1,569.00

GO Best                         315.00

Salebeyond Sale         -150.00

Taxes Port ETC              81.57

$1,815.57

Plus a $150 OBC.

For a Cabin that is on the Face Tile at $1,199 pp for an A2

I think your example is of a different cruise. I have a Mac so no idea how to cut and paste to include the useful illustrations.

Edited by MizDemeanor