Favorite foods on RCCL

tjcletzgo

On 2/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, prodoc said:

I agree with tofusmom that the MDR fruit soups are the best--especially the strawberry.  They don't serve them as often as in the past but it makes our day when it is on the menu.   We love trying multiple appetizers--they are some of the highlights of the meals.

Penny

We mentioned on our cruise last March that we missed the cold soups.  They brought us a different one every night of our cruise after the 1st night after hearing this.  Just ask them and you likely receive even though they are not on the menu.

14 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We mentioned on our cruise last March that we missed the cold soups.  They brought us a different one every night of our cruise after the 1st night after hearing this.  Just ask them and you likely receive even though they are not on the menu.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.  This has made my sister and I very happy as we love their cold soups and were disappointed they were not offered as often but didn't think about requesting them.  Hopefully we will get as nice of waiters as you had on your cruise and we usually do.  Now I know to mention the cold soups and the savory bites for the bread basket that others have mentioned.  🙂

On 2/23/2019 at 7:05 PM, Cincy2 said:

Carrot cake in the MDR. Everything in Wonderland.  Desserts in Jamie's.  The bread in 150 Central Park. 

I am also a fan of the carrot cake, but somehow have managed to miss the night(s) it was served on my last couple cruises.

I enjoy the good old made-to-order omelettes and made-to-order pasta station. Simple pleasures. 

🍰 

2 hours ago, darlacat said:

French onion soup at the MDR

I always thought it was not very good in the MDR...until our cruise last March on the Navigator.  It was OUTSTANDING!  Hoping they changed the recipe and that it is as good on the Freedom when we are on her in 2 weeks.

5 hours ago, prodoc said:

Thank you so much for the suggestion.  This has made my sister and I very happy as we love their cold soups and were disappointed they were not offered as often but didn't think about requesting them.  Hopefully we will get as nice of waiters as you had on your cruise and we usually do.  Now I know to mention the cold soups and the savory bites for the bread basket that others have mentioned.  🙂

I am amazed at how they will go out of their way to prepare food for you to make you happy.  2 years ago I hated the Banana Baileys Creme Brulee and I told them that.  Every night after that, they brought me a specially made one true to how it should be made (no mashed bananas in it) without me even asking for one.

In regards to the cold soups, mention it to your waiter that you would like one each night (after that 1st night) and you will get one every night.  Different each night.  We were told the chef has that request fairly often and prepares a different cold soup every night, it is just not advertised on the menu.  If your waiter does not promise to get it for you for the following night, mention it to the Head Waiter when he checks in at your table.  You will be happy you mentioned it.

Just got back from Freedom.  The food was really good!  I was worried after reading posts on here that the food had gone down hill.  There was only 1 item that was not my favorite but the waiter could tell and quickly made sure I ordered something else.

Do they have still have the cold cucumber soup?  We had that on a cruise 16 years ago and loved it.  It never occurred to us to ask.

16 minutes ago, JRondo said:

Do they have still have the cold cucumber soup?  We had that on a cruise 16 years ago and loved it.  It never occurred to us to ask.

I've not seen the cold soups for a while.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, Mikew0805 said:

That was one of my faves as well, and it always showed up on Lasagna night. Unfortunately, I have not seen it on my last 4-5 cruises. I loved having the onion rolls or the savory bites to dip into the soup. I could make a meal out of that!  

How do you get the menu beforehand?

On 2/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, voyager70 said:

Savory bites are the little bread nuggets served in the MDR.  Crunchy outside, chewy inside.  They are wonderful!

Savory bites are so popular, Royal stopped putting them in the bread baskets. You have to ask for them. I guess if you don't know to ask, that is that much less for Royal to have to bake. Our favorite flavor of savory bites is the sun dried tomato. The only savory bites to be had on my last cruise were the poppy seed. I like them but not nearly as much as the sun dried tomato which have an awesome flavor.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

They didn’t have the salts a few weeks ago, on Symphony.  I heard no ships have them anymore in 150?

The salts made the dining experience extra special for us. The salts were unique (loved the presentation) and I have never forgotten that first time we dined at 150 Central Park.

Okay, the degenerate foodie is about to weigh in!

I enjoy SO MANY things on board!

First, is knowing the way food is made.  What I mean is that some dishes are better made a-la-minute for one person.  Guess what? Those are NOT Royal’s specialty! (Or any cruise line for that matter!).

So, avoid the seafood pasta (pasta mushy, seafood over cooked)!

But when you know their strength, high volume, you realize it lends itself to certain things.  First among those?  SOUP!!!  Anyone who makes a good soup knows that most recipes are fairly involved.  Not difficult but generally more complex than other dished.  And the biggest challenge is how much you’re making.  Accidentally add an extra quarter teaspoon of salt to a single serving, or inadvertently add an extra splash of cream and you’ve ruined it.  Large volume production makes soups AWESOME!  Get the soups!

The same is true for the proteins.  A grilled steak on board is always going to be shockingly mediocre at best (even at Chops or 150).  But prime rib, which is made for thousands is surprisingly consistent! Same with the shanks, chops and short rib.

Lastly, BREAD BREAD BREAD!!!! I make bread at home occasionally.  And it’s the same problem.  A dash too much salt or anything and you’ve ruined a loaf.  Let me make 700 loaves at once, and to proportions are a lot more forgiving.

From my recent "Hens on the High Seas" review....

A summary of MDR hits and misses....

HITS

— The updated French Onion Soup  (it's a long story.   read the review)

— the Poblano pepper and corn soup

— The beef tenderloin

— The salmon main course

— The beef carpaccio was unbelievable

— braised short ribs

— Spaghetti Bolognese....very tasty as a side dish 

— Vidalia  Onion Tart....so good I had 2

MISSES

— Potato Soup....tasted gritty

— French Onion Soup for the masses

— chicken marsala

— lasagna and Tagliatelli.....just not up to my Italian mates standards.