Veteran Discount?

pauon

On the Oceania cruise board someone asked if that line offered discounts for military Vets.  They said Oceania did not, but that Princess does.  We have sailed on Princess many times and have never heard this.  Has anyone heard of this, used the discount, or know how much it is?  I would love it if they did.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

A great benefit , Military OBC been around for quite a few years . Often mentioned here on CC . A good TA should have mentioned it . You can apply on your own for it whether you book thru a TA or not .

It is available on most every sailing .

Cunard has a similar Military OBC program.

Edited by MCC retired
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The notation and associated OBC (based on cruise length) has been on my account for years. 

I appreciate the fact that Princess does this.

Former Princess President Alan Buckelew who was a Vietnam Vet started this program.

I think it started around 2013 give or take a year or so.  Alan Buckelew not only served in Viet Nam but did so as a common infantry soldier tromping through the rice paddies.  In other terms he was a grunt.  Once Princess records your status as a veteran, then it is on every cruise after that point automatically.  It indeed is a great benefit.  In addition on most cruises the CD staff will host a veteran's get together with champagne.  Princess very much supports our military and veterans to which we owe a great big thanks. 

• Like 6

What a great program and wonderful info above.  I never served in a Combat Zone, so I am not eligible (bless those that did) based on this from the web site ; 

• Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone in any of the United States service divisions listed above or in the Canadian National Defense. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo ID is required. For Canadians, Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Health Identification Card is used.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pauon said:

What a great program and wonderful info above.  I never served in a Combat Zone, so I am not eligible (bless those that did) based on this from the web site ; 

• Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone in any of the United States service divisions listed above or in the Canadian National Defense. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo ID is required. For Canadians, Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Health Identification Card is used.

Send your dd214 in anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

We had been sailing with Princess for several years before I learned of the veteran benefit. Once they've processed your application form, it will automatically apply for all future Princess cruises. Enjoy

I applied and it shows up for our upcoming cruise in March.  We also have a cruise scheduled on new Princess SKY forJanuary 2020 but there is no o.b.c showing for that one. Do you know if it shows up after final payment ?

My husband is 77 when he was 17 he served in the navy for 3 years.

We just learned about this perk last year and we searched for his discharge papers and found them!!

We got $250 OBC for our Panama Canal cruise this past December.

They keep the records on file so for our next cruise we already have that OBC!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrpayroll said:

I applied and it shows up for our upcoming cruise in March.  We also have a cruise scheduled on new Princess SKY forJanuary 2020 but there is no o.b.c showing for that one. Do you know if it shows up after final payment ?

I would follow up with your TA or Princess. My husband's OBC appears automatically. Went it on your file it should remain there.

Thanks for your service.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrpayroll said:

There are different types of OBC depending on how/why they are acquired. Some show up in the personalizer and some do not. I don't remember the logic behind it, sorry. Maybe someone else on here can help you out. I was thinking that the veteran benefit did show up, but maybe I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, 63 Super Sport said:

I would follow up with your TA or Princess. My husband's OBC appears automatically. Went it on your file it should remain there.

Thanks for your service.

WOW, thanks for the quick reply. I will follow up. Same to your husband. 

Look under Circle Savings in your Princess Captain Circle Account - On Board Credit

The below should appear in your record.

Have a great day.

Onboard Credits Balance $65.00 (USD)

Amounts will be applied towards your onboard account and maybe used to purchase any onboard product or service such as Shore Excursions, boutique purchases, drinks and more.

Credit ID# Description Earned Expires Status Amount
04634604 Military Benefits 03/14/16 Sail By 12/31/21 Active $50.00 (USD) to $250.00 (USD)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mrpayroll said:

It is attached to your Captains Circle #/account.

As stated once it is put on your account it stays there.

If you sign in to the Princess website go to your Captains Circle account->circle savings->onboard credits. Mine is at the top and says military benefits.

The benefit differs based on the length of the cruise. If two in the cabin qualify they will both receive the benefit. However, if there are more than 2 in the cabin who qualify only the first two will receive the benefit. You don't necessarily have to have served for 2 years. My son broke his neck in his first year and was medically discharged. He qualifies for the benefit.

OBC For Military Service

6 days or fewer:  $50 per eligible person

7 - 13 days:  $100 per eligible person

14 days or longer:  $250 per eligible person

First and Second Passenger in Cabin ONLY

• Like 2

If your DD-214 has the Veteran block checked, you qualify for the OBC.  Princess attaches it to your account and has always appeared for me.  If you have several cruises booked, you will have to tell Princess about them when you submit your DD-214.  

At any given time considerably less than half the Army was in Nam.  I was part of the Army that never made it to Nam because of my MOS which was not needed there.  They sent us to South Korea instead where we were needed.  We all had a role to play in the defense of our country.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The benefit differs based on the length of the cruise. If two in the cabin qualify they will both receive the benefit. However, if there are more than 2 in the cabin who qualify only the first two will receive the benefit. You don't necessarily have to have served for 2 years. My son broke his neck in his first year and was medically discharged. He qualifies for the benefit.

OBC For Military Service

6 days or fewer:  $50 per eligible person

7 - 13 days:  $100 per eligible person

14 days or longer:  $250 per eligible person

First and Second Passenger in Cabin ONLY

The only thing that is not correct is that it is only for first and second passenger.  It is actually for a total of any 2 people in the cabin.

On our last family cruise my husband and son both received the OBC.  They were # 2 and 3 on the booking.

My husband used his DD214 and son used his ID card.  Both have this listed on their Captain Circle accounts so all good for our next cruise.

This is a great benefit from Princess.

• Like 1