Non-Refundable Deposit and Price Drops

RealDeal

If you choose a non-refundable deposit & there's a price drop prior to final payment, can you still take advantage of the drop or are you "locked in" to the rate once you do a non-refundable deposit? Oddly, I'm on the phone w/Captain's Club & they're not even sure. 

I have an upcoming cruise booked through my TA with a non-refundable deposit. I just called this week to check on what I thought was a price drop (it wasn't) but if it had been they told me they would make a price adjustment. The TA is a large online TA that is X's largest travel partner.

20 minutes ago, muffin1327 said:

I am curious if you have a booking already that you booked on-board can you transfer it to another booking?

Any changes to another cruise would entail a $100 fee per Celebrity. (if they hold the reservation).

16 minutes ago, muffin1327 said:

I am curious if you have a booking already that you booked on-board can you transfer it to another booking?

We booked a Med cruise for May last September while on  cruise and and in November we changed to Alaska cruise in May and we kept all our perks and extra on board credit.

no refunds once you’ve made final payment.

Thanks for the info, so the OBC from the first cruise from May you had when you transferred to the Alaska cruise they let you transfer your OBC from the first cruise you booked in May to the 2nd cruise and you were able to combine the OBC with the 2nd cruise OBC before final payment?

Edited by muffin1327
Typo

2 hours ago, muffin1327 said:

Thanks for the info, so the OBC from the first cruise from May you had when you transferred to the Alaska cruise they let you transfer your OBC from the first cruise you booked in May to the 2nd cruise and you were able to combine the OBC with the 2nd cruise OBC before final payment?

We booked two "place holder" cruises onboard before they became available to purchase for 2020.  They were booked as refundable, had 2 perks and extra OBC for booking onboard.  When the itineraries for 2020 opened up for booking, all I did was call Celebrity and move them to the ones I wanted in 2020.  No extra cost.

2 hours ago, muffin1327 said:

First cruise had $100 OBC + 2 perks ( we chose $300 OBC and gratuities ) when we moved to 2nd cruise those items moved with us. The original $100 deposit stayed the same.

• 1 month later...

I have booked a Celebrity B2B for 2020. The cruise fare comes with two Celebrity perks: OBC and pre-paid gratuities. I paid a combined deposit of $1,400, fully refundable until final payment is due. 

I called my travel agent today after spotting a significant price drop, and she advised me that if I took advantage of the drop I’d lose my perks (as expected), and my $1,400 deposit would becomes non-refundable (which was unexpected).

Are non-refundable deposits for taking advantage of a price drop a new Celebrity policy, and if so, do you know the details?

Thanks. 

Edited by Wiseask

7 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

7 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

I have booked a Celebrity B2B for 2020. The cruise fare comes with two Celebrity perks: OBC and pre-paid gratuities. I paid a combined deposit of $1,400, fully refundable until final payment is due. 

I called my travel agent after spotting a significant price drop today, and she advised me that if I took advantage of the drop I’d lose my perks (as expected), and my $1,400 deposit would becomes non-refundable (which was unexpected).

Are non-refundable deposits for taking advantage of a price drop a new Celebrity policy, and if so, do you know the details?

Thanks. 

Assume that the lower price you saw was the new "Sail" price which has no perks and non-refundable deposit. If so, your T/A is correct.

Edited by bkbarrym

Sounds rather harsh and extreme for a cruise nearly a year and a half away. So much can happen in that time frame to cause a change of plans. My previous experience with Celebrity was to take advantage of price drops without affecting the refundable deposits. 

9 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

Sounds rather harsh and extreme for a cruise nearly a year and a half away. So much can happen in that time frame to cause a change of plans. My previous experience with Celebrity was to take advantage of price drops without affecting the refundable deposits. 

If you choose to move to a lower fare which is non refundable then your booking now becomes non refundable. Otherwise keep your refundable fare with the perks. This is the new pricing scheme launched earlier this month.

21 hours ago, Wiseask said:

Point is that there was no real price drop since presumably your originally booked refundable fare with perks was less that the current refundable fare with perks. What you saw was a newly created zero-perk, non-refundable fare rather than a price drop.

21 hours ago, Wiseask said:

Although it is nonrefundable, you can cancel, change, or get a credit to use in the next 12 months for a fee of $100 per person.

There is no cost to get a price drop . I did it twice this week after I changed my cruise fare to a non refundable to take advantage of a much lower fare. The contract says fee for changing ships or cancelling. Changing within the cruise you are booked on is penalty free.

Also a price drop is a new 'contract' so it that price does not come with perks then you get none. So if you present fare has perks you will change to what does or does not come with the new price. I kept my book on board credit as it is not tied to my price..