NCL agent challenges my cruise cancellation (s)

3 hours ago, erdoran said:

I had cancelled a hotel reservation a few weeks in advance.  The agent had the nerve (and I say nerve) to ask me why.  I told him the reason “someone else is going to this conference rather than me” and then said “but I don’t see how it is any of your business”.  I think “what business is it of yours?” Is probably a good answer.

Of course it's their business.  Any representative that doesn't ask why a customer is cancelling isn't doing their job. I cannot fathom being insulted by a politely phrased "May I ask why you are cancelling?". Rudeness is an entirely different matter.

I'm sure someone would complain "They didn't ask why I was cancelling - they don't care about my business!".

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KevInPitt said:

Of course it's their business.  Any representative that doesn't ask why a customer is cancelling isn't doing their job. I cannot fathom being insulted by a politely phrased "May I ask why you are cancelling?". Rudeness is an entirely different matter.

I'm sure someone would complain "They didn't ask why I was cancelling - they don't care about my business!".

I would agree with this if they were canceling a trip not booking another one.  I would also think that when prior cancellations were made they probably did ask.  At that point it would have been notated.

If they had that information they could have asked how things were going.  This of course would be better if workong with a PCC.  

We used to have a great one but she left NCL.  Now every other month i get someone different from NCL claiming to be my PCC.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:57 PM, thetaro said:

What's NCL thinking? They offer $50 down deposit and they continue to raise price across the board. People are going to put down as many booking as possible and cancel down the road. 

For European customers our deposits are already non-refundable and alternate between 10% or 20%. To switch my deposit from my original cruise to a different one I had to pay an extra €50. I’d love it if the deposit was as low as $50 with free cancellation. 

11 hours ago, KevInPitt said:

Cancelling a cruise is one thing, cancelling a midweek business hotel reservation booked through a conference, at a conference rate, is another thing entirely, and it is none of their business that I am cancelling a conference reservation.  It’s clearly business rather than discretionary travel, just based on the rate.

31 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Cancelling a cruise is one thing, cancelling a midweek business hotel reservation booked through a conference, at a conference rate, is another thing entirely, and it is none of their business that I am cancelling a conference reservation.  It’s clearly business rather than discretionary travel, just based on the rate.

Asking why you are cancelling a hotel reservation is absolutely an appropriate question...... maybe you think they are personally interested in you but they're really not...... the information is collected for business metrics which helps them understand their customer's needs.  For example, if you said "it's too expensive, I found a better rate" then the Sales Dept may adjust conference rates in the future, etc...... not invasive at all. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, KevInPitt said:

I was trying to book a new cruise, not cancelling one. And "Do you have anything to say for yourself?" is something I would expect to hear in a courtroom, not from a NCL agent. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, roger001 said:

Sorry...nothing to do with the question.  But..wow, eight in three years.  That averages about 3 a year you've had to cancel.  Just out of curiosity, how many did you get to keep and go on?   Your personal schedule must be worse than mine.   I've cruised 22 times but had to cancel 3 others  and hated that.   

There is never a reason for anyone to be rude regardless of what side you are on. Now, that being said, I am thinking like  you, why in the heck would anyone cancel so many times after making a reservation. I can understand the agent questioning the poster. This would be like buying from Amazon every week and sending 1/2 the stuff back. Yes there would be questions if we did that. I would question an agent that asked me why? the first time I cancelled but 8 times, has it dawned on the op, the agent might have really wanted to know if there was something NCL did that created the problem. Maybe had op simply said, I have an ill child that I am responsible for or some such thing, the agent might have understood and said something to make op feel like she cared. Sorry, Op but I do not get why you are so upset except if she was rude I do understand that part.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

I was trying to book a new cruise, not cancelling one. And "Do you have anything to say for yourself?" is something I would expect to hear in a courtroom, not from a NCL agent. 

or from your mother!

I think the second best response would have been;

"Mom! When did you get a job at Norwegian?"

:classic_biggrin:

What's the best response? Sorry, I can't post that one. :classic_sad: The Mods would get really, really mad at me.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

When we decided to book a TA this year and NCL had 3 different ships leaving on TA's on the same date and with similar itineraries but from different ports, we booked all 3 so we had time to decide which we preferred.  2 of the sailings had $50. deposits and the other had $1  so we had a total of $202. tied up in deposits and we got the deposits for the two we cancelled back.  Really, if NCL doesn't want or expect people to book and cancel, they shouldn't offer such low deposits.  $1 deposit, if we didn't get it back no big deal.

2 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

I wasn't addressing your situation of an inappropriately phrased question of your reason for previously cancelling multiple reservations in a relatively short period of time but explaining to another poster the reasonableness of a polite inquiry as to the nature of their own story of cancellation.  The insensitivity and lack of comprehension to the impact of making and then canceling reservations in the hospitality industry is astonishing considering if the tables were turned the fury would be touted here as unacceptable (and compensation expected).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Maybe had op simply said, I have an ill child that I am responsible for or some such thing, the agent might have understood and said something to make op feel like she cared. 

The fact she has an ill child is not the agent's business.  Period.

18 hours ago, Dr. Jack Daniels said:

The fact she has an ill child is not the agent's business.  Period.

Please show me where I said it was anyone's business? Why are you putting words into my mouth? My point simply was, if the OP had explained to her, there may have been some sympathy. I can understand the possible reason for asking about so many cancellations. That is all I was saying. There are a lot of responses that would have been better than the rude one: non of your business as some have suggested. Being rude, is never the way to handle anything. I am not saying the OP was, I doubt she was to be honest. 

Just yesterday we had to cancel a reservation for a future cruise and according to our TA NCL did ask why we were cancelling. She asked it in a very polite way I will add or so I was told. It appears they are now asking when a reservation is cancelled. According to our TA this is to try and improve services if there is some thing they did that would cause cruisers to cancel. I totally understand. It makes good sense to me. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, BlueLadyBlue said:

When we decided to book a TA this year and NCL had 3 different ships leaving on TA's on the same date and with similar itineraries but from different ports, we booked all 3 so we had time to decide which we preferred.  

And this, in a nutshell, is why cruise lines are changing the amount asked for deposits,  making some deposits nonrefundable, and making final payment dates earlier. The churning of cruise reservations by passengers have been an increasing problem for the cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Just yesterday we had to cancel a reservation for a future cruise and according to our TA NCL did ask why we were cancelling. She asked it in a very polite way I will add or so I was told. It appears they are now asking when a reservation is cancelled. According to our TA this is to try and improve services if there is some thing they did that would cause cruisers to cancel. I totally understand. It makes good sense to me. 

The OP didn't say they were asked why they were cancelling by the agent at the time they cancelled as in your scenario.  They were asked when making a NEW reservation why they had previously cancelled several reservations (and it doesn't sound like it was phrased very politely!)

12 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

The OP didn't say they were asked why they were cancelling by the agent at the time they cancelled as in your scenario.  They were asked when making a NEW reservation why they had previously cancelled several reservations (and it doesn't sound like it was phrased very politely!)

I realize op was booking a new cruise, but I still understand why the agent made a reference to all the cancellations. If indeed it was done in a rude way, as I have said earlier there is never a reason for rudeness, but It doesn't sound to me like the question was asked in a rude way or should I say, we have no idea how the agent worded the question. 

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I realize op was booking a new cruise, but I still understand why the agent made a reference to all the cancellations. If indeed it was done in a rude way, as I have said earlier there is never a reason for rudeness, but It doesn't sound to me like the question was asked in a rude way or should I say, we have no idea how the agent worded the question. 

The OP specifically said that the agent said "What do you have to say for yourself?"  In my opinion, that is rude.

Unless, of course, your are actually saying you don't believe the OP.  If so, just say that. 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

The OP specifically said that the agent said "What do you have to say for yourself?"  In my opinion, that is rude.

Unless, of course, your are actually saying you don't believe the OP.  If so, just say that. 😉

did I say that? my how some people like to put words into others mouth. this is exactly how stories get out of hand. I was not there, nor were you. We all have a habit or telling our side of the story.  I am saying the words as op put it, may not have been without a little bias. That does not mean I think she was lying. It means, while being upset she may have read, into the agents comments words that were not exactly what was said. I have done this, so have you or I think you have. The fact still remains, I understand the agent asking. I would not be ok with her being rude. 

On 3/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, Longstockingpippi1 said:

It comes across as a verbal challenge when worded that way. Especially since your call was not about cancelling, but about booking. There is probably a back story there somewhere. We'll see if others who have three or more cancellations in their record get the same question in the future.

If she had said "I see that you cancelled several cruises recently, and was wondering if there was anything we did to cause that for you? I'd like to make sure your experience is better this time" you would have taken it as helpful instead of a challenge.

Phone agents are usually paid about $10 an hour, and have high turnover because of that. The odds of getting someone who is still learning the job are pretty high. When they get skilled, they move on to jobs that pay better. I was paying my phone agents $20+ an hour in the 1980s, but they were highly skilled and worth every penny.

30 minutes ago, fshagan said:

It comes across as a verbal challenge when worded that way. Especially since your call was not about cancelling, but about booking. There is probably a back story there somewhere. We'll see if others who have three or more cancellations in their record get the same question in the future.

If she had said "I see that you cancelled several cruises recently, and was wondering if there was anything we did to cause that for you? I'd like to make sure your experience is better this time" you would have taken it as helpful instead of a challenge.

Phone agents are usually paid about $10 an hour, and have high turnover because of that. The odds of getting someone who is still learning the job are pretty high. When they get skilled, they move on to jobs that pay better. I was paying my phone agents $20+ an hour in the 1980s, but they were highly skilled and worth every penny.

I agree about the pay for agents.I started my career with a major hotel chain as an agent. I happened to enjoy what I did, but of course, as years went on I decided to move into management. My daughter started her career with a major airline as a res agent; retired as a VP and our younger daughter started as an agent. I will say,for all of us, we worked for companies that paid there agents pretty well. Now, back to the topic; I am still standing by my remarks that we were not there and we do not know if the agents actually put her question in the exact words the OP said. This is not saying she lied, it is just said, how we all repeat things, not always using the words that were said to us.

Like you, I will be interested to see what others have to say, but for now I think I will let the rest respond and I will give it a rest 

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

If I had canceled a bunch of cruisers, and the agent said that to me, I would actually think it was funny!

Because it is.  Glad some get it...lighten up folks.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG