Yet another luggage tag question (actually more than one)

schmoopie17

7 minutes ago, zqvol said:

People in the US should not use this site, but use the US version instead.

Of course, but as I am in Europe that is the version I get automatically routed to on CruiseCritic - and as long as it helps the person who asked for the link on his/her way, then what is the problem...?

On 3/10/2019 at 5:14 PM, BirdTravels said:

Haven letters arrive 50 days prior to cruise.  You get luggage tags and a concierge letter. They are sticky tags. The Priority tags really don’t help getting your bags any quicker. 

8 days to go, still no letter, no tags. And we paid full price for Haven.   I'd say I'm shocked but NCL is now becoming a "who cares, we got the money, screw 'em, lots more people out there" kind of a company.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aesop081 said:

8 days to go, still no letter, no tags. And we paid full price for Haven.   I'd say I'm shocked but NCL is now becoming a "who cares, we got the money, screw 'em, lots more people out there" kind of a company.

I actually believe they (NCL) only send luggage tags in the ordinary mail to suite customers in the US - they stopped sending that to suite customers in Europa several years ago...

8 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

I actually believe they (NCL) only send luggage tags in the ordinary mail to suite customers in the US - they stopped sending that to suite customers in Europa several years ago...

Well that would be interesting.  I guess they wouldn't want to spend another 3 or 5 bucks servicing a customer to make them feel like they're getting treated special.  If you look at it from the total cost of all those mail outs I'm sure an argument was made by an accountant that they could save 50 or 60 thousand a year.  Except for the fact that the cost on the income of those room sales generated isn't even a rounding error.  Once again, how to NiCkLe and dime your way to the top.

And to add to that you can bet the cost of those services were originally priced into the exclusive price list.  They just decided not to honour it and keep the cash.

Edited by Aesop081
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, bjtravelnews said:

Thank you!

There is an e-commerce site that sells a 'lot', of 4 tag holders, and 2 clear holders with lanyards, that look like they hold I.D. card type things.  Does NCL require passengers to carry some sort of plastic card, for some purpose?

2 minutes ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

There is an e-commerce site that sells a 'lot', of 4 tag holders, and 2 clear holders with lanyards, that look like they hold I.D. card type things.  Does NCL require passengers to carry some sort of plastic card, for some purpose?

It’s your room key and charge card. Like a hotel/resort.

Couldn’t pay me to wear it around my neck though.

1 minute ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

Does NCL require passengers to carry some sort of plastic card, for some purpose?

Most/all cruise lines do, it's your key card for your cabin so if you don't carry it (it doesn't need to be on display like an ID at a school or office complex) you don't get back into your room.  It also carries your beverage package and billing for shipboard activity so you don't have to carry cash...

9 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

And don't forget that if you don't put the key card in the slot by the door after you unlock, you will not have lights in your room and I believe the outlets will not work.

I believe that is only on the newer ships. NOT on the SUN STAR and the DAWN and I think you could safely add:

the GEM PEARL JADE JEWEL and the SKY.

20 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

And don't forget that if you don't put the key card in the slot by the door after you unlock, you will not have lights in your room and I believe the outlets will not work.

We just take another old card along of the same size and it will work.  Maybe an old one from a hotel or a used up gift card.  Just pull it up a little when you leave the room and it turns out the power.

8 hours ago, DKcruiser10 said:

I bring an extra card from home, not a real credit card to leave in the slot myself. Works great, and the room steward never touches her removes it.

I hate when people provide this "advice" about how to break the rules and get away with it. Of course your room steward never touches it. They live off of tips and want to make their passengers happy. But if you listen to the announcements at Muster, it is a safety violation for you to leave things plugged in/charging when you are not in the room. Why is your ability to charge your tablet or camera while out of the room more important than the safety of the thousands of other people on board a ship?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I hate when people provide this "advice" about how to break the rules and get away with it. Of course your room steward never touches it. They live off of tips and want to make their passengers happy. But if you listen to the announcements at Muster, it is a safety violation for you to leave things plugged in/charging when you are not in the room. Why is your ability to charge your tablet or camera while out of the room more important than the safety of the thousands of other people on board a ship?

It's not a rule and I would challenge you to find it in writing.  It's just a function of the cabin.  Using your key card in the slot is an excellent way to find yourself locked out of your room.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

It's not a rule and I would challenge you to find it in writing.  It's just a function of the cabin.  Using your key card in the slot is an excellent way to find yourself locked out of your room.

Not leaving devices plugged in while out of your cabin is definitely a rule. They say so during the Muster drill. Also, it's clear they don't want you to do so, otherwise they wouldn't have implemented the technology in the first place. You are clearly circumventing their intentions by bringing a different card from home and leaving it in the slot. I've managed to not lock myself out of my room yet in three sailings with that set-up. But even if I were to accidentally lock myself out, it would be a simple and quick call down to guest services to get back in.

36 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not leaving devices plugged in while out of your cabin is definitely a rule. They say so during the Muster drill. Also, it's clear they don't want you to do so, otherwise they wouldn't have implemented the technology in the first place. You are clearly circumventing their intentions by bringing a different card from home and leaving it in the slot. I've managed to not lock myself out of my room yet in three sailings with that set-up. But even if I were to accidentally lock myself out, it would be a simple and quick call down to guest services to get back in.

You are correct about why the card slot was put in the room but I would hardly call it technology.  It's a simple on/off switch for the cabin.  Had NCL really wanted passengers to remove that card every time you left the room they would have added the technology of a card reader to that card slot so that only a room key would work in it.  Your OCD is working overtime when you call people out for leaving a card in that slot.

Not sure what all the discussion about key cards has to do with my original question about luggage tags...

Maybe it's like the old game where you whisper something into someone's ear, and when it gets to the end of the line it's something entirely different.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Not sure what all the discussion about key cards has to do with my original question about luggage tags...

Here-

15 hours ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

and 2 clear holders with lanyards, that look like they hold I.D. card type things.  Does NCL require passengers to carry some sort of plastic card, for some purpose?

13 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We just take another old card along of the same size and it will work.  Maybe an old one from a hotel or a used up gift card.  Just pull it up a little when you leave the room and it turns out the power.

Just wanted to point out.....I noted that we pull the card up when we leave the room to turn out the power.  We know we shouldn't leave things plugged in when we leave the room.  For those of us who want to make sure we have our key card with us this works best for us 🙂

Sorry for adding to the off-topic

Regarding a topic upthread.

Booked Haven March 6, received Haven tags in mail today, letter dated March 8. East coast US.

Also, Haven tags appear to be the “skinny” ones, not the wider ones you print out. Bought some new plastic tag holders for the skinny ones.