Yet another luggage tag question (actually more than one)

schmoopie17

March 30th will be our first NCL cruise and we just printed our docs and luggage tags. So far, so good.

But the tags say "staple here"...meaning we'd have to carry a stapler with us, since you don't want to put the tags on before going to the airport. I suppose a glue stick would work, but who takes a glue stick with them on vacation? Besides, I might mix up the glue stick with my Chap Stick. While my wife would appreciate having my mouth glued shut for two weeks, we did get the UBP and it would be a horrible waste if I couldn't imbibe. Thoughts?

Also, in researching "luggage tags" on the NCL board, I see several people saying they had luggage tags mailed to them. Is this really a thing?

I think in suites/Haven they mail physical tags to you, but printing them is fine.  They will have staplers at the port if you need.  I invested in some plastic luggage tag holders on Amazon (search Norwegian luggage tags), they send you a pack of 6 for like 8 bucks and they come with fasteners so the staple problem goes away.

• Like 4

There are luggage tags that you can buy and continue to use.   Staplers are many times available at the drop offs.   Tip porters.  :)     But it's really best to cover your tag with clear packing tap,  since plain  paper rips easily.     

In addition to the cabin tags put on luggage:

A practical hint - print extra luggage tags and put one inside each piece of luggage.

No staples glue tape or other method required - just slip it inside each bag.

Now if you luggage loses its tag ID or even handle - the bag when opened will find

a way to its owner.

Same thing should be done with your checked airline baggage slip a copy of your

itinerary inside each bag - makes the job of lost and found folks so much easier

reuniting you and your luggage.

A trip to the naughty room may not be because you have been naughty but simply

your tagless bag needs direction where to go !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

There are luggage tags that you can buy and continue to use.

These - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+luggage+tags+norwegian+cruise+lines&crid=EL9AP9DQAY9&sprefix=cruise+luggage+%2Caps%2C469&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_15

As a point of note - on my first cruise I didn't get my luggage until after the theater show on embarkation day.  Why?  Because both the paper luggage tag I had secured per the cruise lines instruction AND my regular luggage tag had ripped off somewhere between leaving the bag with the porters and the bag getting on the ship.  I had to go to guest services to seek my bag, saw it sitting there as I approached.  This was not an airline fault - we drove to the port on the day of embarkation!

I have now been given one of the tag holders above (or similar) by a family member, I had no such problem on my second cruise.  The one I linked specifically says "NCL" but I'm sure there are some that are universal, to fit the largest size tags.  Just don't put it on until you get to the port city if you're flying in, no need to confuse the airline baggage handlers.

• Thanks 1

Wow...I just learned more about the luggage tag process than I ever thought possible. Thanks, everyone.

Of course, since we have the UBP, I might need to staple a luggage tag to my forehead so I can be directed to my cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Similar to what GreenPea2 does I use Scotch packing tape and tape both sides of the luggage tag.  I then bend it in half and punch a hole in it.  On the day of our cruise I attach it to the luggage using a twist tie.  I always save those twist ties on loaves of bread.

20uv6f6.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Why not support Cruise Critic and order their luggage tag holders from the CC store.  Order the large size and every size of luggage tag will fit.  

Not a bad idea, but you still need some method of attaching those to the baggage.  I suggest the screw-closure wire loops as are included with the tags I linked above.  But, if you're going to spend $7 on a pack of 20 of those loops PLUS $5 per pair of the sleeves, might as well just spend $7 on the tags and loops as a set and get 6...

On 3/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

Why not support Cruise Critic and order their luggage tag holders from the CC store.  Order the large size and every size of luggage tag will fit.   luggagetags.jpg

I don't see a link to any kind of CC store.  Is there another website to purchase these?  Or perhaps someone can post a link.  Thanks!

Instead of starting another luggage tag thread, I figured I would ask here.

we are in the Haven on our upcoming cruise. Will our tags get mailed to us or our travel agent? Also- are they “sticky” like the airline tags, or will something like the items mentioned above still be useful? Debating the purchase. 

Thanks!

we are in the Haven on our upcoming cruise. Will our tags get mailed to us or our travel agent? Also- are they “sticky” like the airline tags, or will something like the items mentioned above still be useful? Debating the purchase. 

Thanks!

If you booked with TA, they will probably be sent to the TA, they are the sticky ones and you can’t use the holders with them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, schmoopie17 said:

March 30th will be our first NCL cruise and we just printed our docs and luggage tags. So far, so good.

But the tags say "staple here"...meaning we'd have to carry a stapler with us, since you don't want to put the tags on before going to the airport. I suppose a glue stick would work, but who takes a glue stick with them on vacation? Besides, I might mix up the glue stick with my Chap Stick. While my wife would appreciate having my mouth glued shut for two weeks, we did get the UBP and it would be a horrible waste if I couldn't imbibe. Thoughts?

Also, in researching "luggage tags" on the NCL board, I see several people saying they had luggage tags mailed to them. Is this really a thing?

Porters have  tags available at the pier, just take a Sharpie to write your name and cabin number or borrow a stapler from your precruise hotel as you head to the pier.

10 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Thanks!

These tags loop around a handle or fastening point - peeling off a small portion from the end will show a sticky end to

mate with the other end.

Unless you are using the TA business address for your booking - the tags are mailed to your home address about 50

of so days prior to sailing - normally sent with the Concierge letter. If you are waiting for a bid upgrade to a suite

you will not get the tags or letter and have to print your own or wait until at the pier and have the porter use the generic tags

writing in your cabin stateroom number.

With the sticky (end) tags do not put them on your luggage until at the pier. Putting them on airline checked luggage

may cause confusion and may be removed to eliminate that confusion.

When installing the sticky tags try to position them off center of the handle so that the porters and others who handle

the luggage are not mashing the tag with their greasy grimey paws making it perhaps unreadable.

With luggage with an extended handle put the tags on the top and not the side handle - bags are stood on end - if

the tags are on the side they are not visible. You will get the idea after one cruise - there is a method to this madness.

The system does work and works well but needs just a hint direction to work even better - remember to have ID

and cabin tag inside the bag for the unlikely event of loss of handle.

10 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Thanks!

Haven letters arrive 50 days prior to cruise.  You get luggage tags and a concierge letter. They are sticky tags. The Priority tags really don’t help getting your bags any quicker.