Drink package ( stupid ? )

metsgiants

Im thinking of getting the package on my next cruise. The thing is I only like one drink and it’s called a lemon drop martini. Would the people walking around the pool deck that ask you if you want a drink be able to get me one ? and/or the waiters in the dining room be able to get me a martini? Or can I only get this drink from a special bar that makes martinis? Sorry if this queries ridiculous but I’d really like to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do all bookings come with a perk offer or do I need to be a high tier ncl member? I never tried to figure cost to drink ratio honestly. I just hate thinking about a budget on a cruise.

1 minute ago, metsgiants said:

Do all bookings come with a perk offer or do I need to be a high tier ncl member? I never tried to figure cost to drink ratio honestly. I just hate thinking about a budget on a cruise.

All except those booking "Sail Away" rates. You don't need to be of any level to get the perks of your choice while booking. If you enjoy cocktails and drink 5 or more drinks then I would get the UBP promo ...... 

I also seem to recall reading that roaming drink waiters are much much much less common (if not nonexistent) on decks anymore because of the UBP. Most have to get up and walk to the bar to get a drink. Some people complain of waits at the pool bar.

The NCL beverage package cost is up to $99 a day with a 20% gratuity.  We have had several cruises where we didn't pay that for the cruise.

NCL has bundled the beverage package with its fare, pricing out NCL when we compare against Royal Caribbean.

We mainly drink wine and don't care for the red wine choices on the beverage package.  Our last NCL cruise, we declined the beverage packages, brought our own wine, paid the $15 per bottle corkage fees and our bottom line cost of alcohol for the cruise was LESS than what JUST the gratuities on the bev package.

Not sure when we will ever do another NCL cruise.  I still shop around considering them, but they seem to strike out compared to other lines.

I enjoyed Lemon Drop Martinis in several bars including the MDR and specialty restaurants, in Observation Lounge etc..

I never had one by the pool so not sure but may not be available there. Definitely not in a martini glass.

56 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

The NCL beverage package cost is up to $99 a day with a 20% gratuity.  We have had several cruises where we didn't pay that for the cruise.

NCL has bundled the beverage package with its fare, pricing out NCL when we compare against Royal Caribbean.

That's not the cost when it's taken as one of the free at sea promotions. 

I keep seeing people bash NCL's free beverage promo claiming that RCC is so much better. What am I missing? Every time I price out RCC they don't even offer a beverage package until after you book your cruise, and when I've contacted them for pricing it was ludicrous. So again, what am I missing where you say RCC beverage package is so much better than the "free" one offered by NCL?

*Edit* Just priced out both NCL & RCC for a mock booking to the Bahamas for a short 3 day cruise, same time frame May 2019. Oceanview cabins for both, RCC is $1715 + $63/day for drinks = $1904. NCL with the "free" UBP promo = $1462. So again, what am I missing?

Edited by Sailing12Away

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

That's not the cost when it's taken as one of the free at sea promotions. 

I keep seeing people bash NCL's free beverage promo claiming that RCC is so much better. What am I missing? Every time I price out RCC they don't even offer a beverage package until after you book your cruise, and when I've contacted them for pricing it was ludicrous. So again, what am I missing where you say RCC beverage package is so much better than the "free" one offered by NCL?

Yes, NCL includes the  beverage package as a promo (but you have to pay the 20% gratuity on an outrageous $99 value per day per person) but their fare prices are now seriously inflated.  For a 7 day cruise, just the gratuity would cost you about $280 for two persons.  We spent less than that for our last 7 day NCL cruise on alcohol since I brought my own wine.

Also, Royal Caribbean has great loyalty benefits under the Diamond level.  Equivalent of Platinum for NCL.  Their FREE happy hour goes from 4:30 until 8 and you can order a drink or glass of wine for dinner at the MDR.  On our last Royal C cruise we didn't spend a nickel on alcohol and enjoyed all the drinking we wanted.

Royal does offer beverage packages, but we don't drink alcohol prior to happy hour and don't drink serious amount of alcohol.

I would like to pick my cruises with a bottom line fare without the promos.  Prior to price bundling on NCL, we always did the wine packages and rarely spent more than about $350 total on alcohol for a 14 day cruise.

I know others have different preferences, that's fine, but NCL is pushing us out.

Lemon Drop...mmm one of my favourites too!  My experience is that not "all" bars serve them.  However you can get them at all atrium bars, specialty dining bars, main dining room bars, and obviously any martini style bars.  Just depends on if they have the ingredients at hand.  There are a sufficient number of bars that make them, and you'll soon discover which bar/bartender makes the best to your liking.

42 minutes ago, lakelivin2 said:

Lemon Drop...mmm one of my favourites too!  My experience is that not "all" bars serve them.  However you can get them at all atrium bars, specialty dining bars, main dining room bars, and obviously any martini style bars.  Just depends on if they have the ingredients at hand.  There are a sufficient number of bars that make them, and you'll soon discover which bar/bartender makes the best to your liking.

Lemon drop sounds yummy think I will be trying this next month. Is that the one with lemonchello?

We are skipping the free (choke) UBP this trip, my husband only drinks diet soda and no way can I drink 5 a day. When I looked at this it was 134. each in tax & tip. You need to decide what works for you. 

56 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes, NCL includes the  beverage package as a promo (but you have to pay the 20% gratuity on an outrageous $99 value per day per person) but their fare prices are now seriously inflated.  For a 7 day cruise, just the gratuity would cost you about $280 for two persons.  We spent less than that for our last 7 day NCL cruise on alcohol since I brought my own wine.

Also, Royal Caribbean has great loyalty benefits under the Diamond level.  Equivalent of Platinum for NCL.  Their FREE happy hour goes from 4:30 until 8 and you can order a drink or glass of wine for dinner at the MDR.  On our last Royal C cruise we didn't spend a nickel on alcohol and enjoyed all the drinking we wanted.

Royal does offer beverage packages, but we don't drink alcohol prior to happy hour and don't drink serious amount of alcohol.

Gratuity of $280 on NCL, verses $441 for RCC ($63/day x 7 days). Again, how is RCC better? Seeing as how we're quite far from Platinum/Diamond status, your tip of doing the free happy hour wouldn't benefit us. I also would go twitchy knowing I could only drink between 4:30 - 8pm. What fun is that, having to schedule when you want a drink? The best part of a day at sea is sitting near the pool with a frozen slushie cocktail in your hand. Not waiting until 4:30pm to cram all your drinking into 3.5 hours - that's a sure way to feeling sick. Plus, NCL has free cocktail parties as well for lattitudes members and suite level rooms, equivalent to your RCC happy hour.

To each their own. For your drinking style and level of perks, RCC is a better fit for you. For us, NCL has always come out cheaper and we literally can do anything we want whenever we want. We're not serious binge drinkers either, but when cocktails cost ~$10 each, at a cost of $280 for the both of us we would only need to drink 2 beverages a day to break even.

3 hours ago, metsgiants said:

Im thinking of getting the package on my next cruise. The thing is I only like one drink and it’s called a lemon drop martini. Would the people walking around the pool deck that ask you if you want a drink be able to get me one ? and/or the waiters in the dining room be able to get me a martini? Or can I only get this drink from a special bar that makes martinis? Sorry if this queries ridiculous but I’d really like to know

They made lemon drop martinis at the martini bar, so I would imagine you can get it at other bars. If it's not on the martini bar menu, just ask for it. I get the package when it is a promo--paying the $150 (or whatever it is) gratuity fee is worth it. That is about 10-12 drinks, and I drink more than that during a cruise. I do not drink enough to make the package anywhere worth it if its not a promo.

The lemon drop martini is not lemoncello. It’s vodka ,lemon juice , simple syrup for the person asking. I haven’t cruised in a while . I’m surprised theirs no more roaming waiters. Not a big deal to me though. But so basically it sounds like I’ll have no trouble finding martinis on the ship. I asked because I know it’s in a different style glass. I wasn’t sure it that was a issue. Thanks for all the helpful responses

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Gratuity of $280 on NCL, verses $441 for RCC ($63/day x 7 days). Again, how is RCC better? Seeing as how we're quite far from Platinum/Diamond status, your tip of doing the free happy hour wouldn't benefit us. I also would go twitchy knowing I could only drink between 4:30 - 8pm. What fun is that, having to schedule when you want a drink? The best part of a day at sea is sitting near the pool with a frozen slushie cocktail in your hand. Not waiting until 4:30pm to cram all your drinking into 3.5 hours - that's a sure way to feeling sick. Plus, NCL has free cocktail parties as well for lattitudes members and suite level rooms, equivalent to your RCC happy hour.

To each their own. For your drinking style and level of perks, RCC is a better fit for you. For us, NCL has always come out cheaper and we literally can do anything we want whenever we want. We're not serious binge drinkers either, but when cocktails cost ~$10 each, at a cost of $280 for the both of us we would only need to drink 2 beverages a day to break even.

The $280 gratuity is not just what you are paying for the beverage package.  The inflated overall price you are paying for the cruise is the main issue.  Also, no way does the one free NCL cocktail party compare with having the Free Happy Hour EVERY NIGHT.  

I find Royal's fares to beat NCL for all the cruises that I have looked at booking.  That is why I booked Royal.

OK, I am not an umbrella drink drinker.  I like wine and don't drink as much as some people.  You are right about one thing, each to their own.

2 hours ago, metsgiants said:

The lemon drop martini is not lemoncello. It’s vodka ,lemon juice , simple syrup for the person asking. I haven’t cruised in a while . I’m surprised theirs no more roaming waiters. Not a big deal to me though. But so basically it sounds like I’ll have no trouble finding martinis on the ship. I asked because I know it’s in a different style glass. I wasn’t sure it that was a issue. Thanks for all the helpful responses

Nope. I'm a martini gal and I love the martini bar on NCL. Enjoy! And if they have a "martini clinic" during your cruise, give it a try. Love it.

It's all smoke and mirrors. To get the UBC you pay a higher cabin fare just to get to the "perqs" starting line. Mileage may vary of course but if you have a delta of ~$300 / couple between a sail away (no perqs and NCL chooses your cabin location inside the category you pay for) on a 7 day cruise then your UBP costs you $580. For the sake of math if you don't get the UBC and assume a per drink cost of ~$15 (including the 20% grat) you get ~38 drinks over the course of your sailing for that $580 (far more quantity for beer and basic wine and less quantity for premium drinks). So, in this example, if you are a four-five drink a day couple, book sail away and save a bit of $$ and if you're a six + drink a day couple get the UBP perq along with the ability to choose your stateroom location and you'll be ahead of the game.

The best case scenario, IMO, is if you can still find a GTY rate (includes perqs but not stateroom location choice), for a similar price to a sail away rate.

Because the programs all vary by cruise line there is no absolute answer to which line is better from a price point in general. If you are not cruise-line specific, find an itinerary you like for dates that work and price each offer out with the inclusions you want. If anyone believes that RCCL or Carnival or HAL or Celebrity aren't trying to maximize revenue like NCL is then you're not paying attention.

Edited by cdnsteelman
typo

We always get the drink package, but as a perk.  No way we would purchase it, I can drink, but even with NCL's incredibly high drink prices, I don't drink that much "every" day.  Some maybe...guilty.  But even with the known fare difference between sail away, and a regular cabin booking, I know that I will walk away ahead with the UBP. 

As for the side argument going on about value between RCL an NCL.  I wouldn't even think to get the drink package IF NCL charged the same, and still very profitable, prices for their umbrella drinks, well shots, and "premium" brands as the rest of the industry does.   And they know it, so UBP it is.  

It also brings out the bad habit of having 2 or 3 mimosas with breakfast when I'm cruising.  My poor liver, I hope it understands!

Edited by Aesop081
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, metsgiants said:

No ridiculous questions...we all have little off-the-wall things that are important to us.  Setting aside the never-ending debate about comparing cruise prices (I find the answer there is "it depends.")  If you're getting the drink package as part of "Free at Sea", then you need to drink 2 of these drinks to basically break even (because you'll pay $20 per day in gratuities).  Or a total of 14 drinks over a 7 night cruise (shore days you  have less chance to drink onboard).  But don't forget, the person in the cabin with you will also need to get a drink package.  So, either that person drinks too...or you now need to drink 28 drinks in 7 nights.  (This would not be a problem for me!).  As far as cruise fare pricing...clearly that's important...but so are itinerary, the ship, the dates, etc. etc.  

4 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Nope. I'm a martini gal and I love the martini bar on NCL. Enjoy! And if they have a "martini clinic" during your cruise, give it a try. Love it.

YES those "Martini Clinic" Martini Tasting events - TASTEFUL liquid EDUCATION - an awakening of the taste senses !