Grand Pacific Dress Code

farkell

Hi

Can anyone elaborate on the dress code for the Grand Pacific restaurant: "Grand Pacific is the ship's dress-up restaurant in the evenings."  Does my husband have to wear a suit jacket?   He was planning on taking Dockers and a button down shirt, is that appropriate?  Thanks

You have mistakenly posted your question in the forum for all Gem Roll Calls; the only threads that should be started in this forum are Roll Calls.  You can post your question in the specific Roll Call for your cruise, or over in the main NCL forum.    (If you are looking for your Roll Call, please note that the Roll Call finder tool is not working right now.  Just scroll down the Gem Roll Calls until you find it.  If there isn't one, you can start one.  Please carefully read the instructions for doing so before you start one.) 

5 hours ago, farkell said:

Hi

Can anyone elaborate on the dress code for the Grand Pacific restaurant: "Grand Pacific is the ship's dress-up restaurant in the evenings."  Does my husband have to wear a suit jacket?   He was planning on taking Dockers and a button down shirt, is that appropriate?  Thanks

Dockers and a button down shirt is perfect.  That covers the bases.   

42 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

The dress code is casual throughout Norwegian's fleet.  The only restriction you may encounter in the fancier dining room is no shorts.

They eliminated requiring long pants in the larger aft dining room some time ago...at least on the ships I've been on recently, the Gem, Breakaway and Escape. Both all the MDRs and almost all specialty restaurants allow shorts. The only places requiring long pants are Le Bistro and on the ships that have it Ocean Blue or the equivalent specialty.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

They eliminated requiring long pants in the larger aft dining room some time ago...at least on the ships I've been on recently, the Gem, Breakaway and Escape. Both all the MDRs and almost all specialty restaurants allow shorts. The only places requiring long pants are Le Bistro and on the ships that have it Ocean Blue or the equivalent specialty.

I have the Freestyle Daily from the Epic, dated February 23, 2019 (less than a month ago), which says that shorts aren't permitted in either the Manhattan Dining Room (aft) or Le Bistro after 5:00 p.m. A Freestyle Daily from the Gem in October says that shorts are allowed everywhere in the evening except Le Bistro.

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

The rules regarding shorts in the aft dining room varies from ship to ship. They are allowed on some ships but on others (such as the Epic, mentioned above) don’t allow them.

The irony is that my cruise in October on the Gem, where shorts were allowed in the Grand Pacific DR, was in cold, windy, wet weather and no one wanted to wear shorts.

• Haha 1

Best case is assume the main dining room requires long pants for gentlemen.  This way you have zero problems.  Country club casual works, so a polo or button down is enough.  No jacket required, no rules against it though.  Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, Harratine said:

Best case is assume the main dining room requires long pants for gentlemen.  This way you have zero problems.  Country club casual works, so a polo or button down is enough.  No jacket required, no rules against it though.  Enjoy your cruise.

We don't have to assume anything because the OP asked about the Grand Pacific on the Gem and we know that long pants are not required there, and haven't been required on that ship's main dining rooms for some time.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, farkell said:

Hi

The GP requires long pants for gents. That is jeans or dockers and a polo shirt are fine. Leave the jacket at home. 

On cruises of 7 days or more there is a "dress up or not night" they suggest that on that evening that people dressing to the nines use the Aft dining room. The smaller mid ship dining room is casual all the time. Back in 02 they would not allow jeans or shorts in either dining room.  The only exception to the shorts was Bermuda shorts while in Bermuda. Now they have laxed things a lot and do allow both jeans (they have go be nice jeans without holes or patches) and shorts. I have always gone with resort casual usually dockers and a collared shirt either polo or button down - no tie or jacket - I am on vacation.

Edited by bonvoyagie

2 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

On cruises of 7 days or more there is a "dress up or not night" they suggest that on that evening that people dressing to the nines use the Aft dining room.

Dress up or not night hasn’t been around on 7 day cruises for years now. It has been replaced by Norwegian Night Out, and I’ve not seen any suggestion on that night that people go to any particular restaurant based on dress.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The GP requires long pants for gents. That is jeans or dockers and a polo shirt are fine. Leave the jacket at home. 

We just spent 44 days on the Gem and long pants were not required. The only restaurant on the Gem requiring long pants is Le Bistro.

33 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

We just spent 44 days on the Gem and long pants were not required. The only restaurant on the Gem requiring long pants is Le Bistro.

This is what it said in the Freestyle Daily from the Gem in October 2018.

Since it is not consistent, currently, across the fleet, it is prudent to have a pair of long pants just in case. As I said earlier, while the Gem didn't require long pants for the Grand Pacific in October, the Epic did for the Manhattan Dining Room in February. This was the case even though it was cold and windy during the Gem cruise (to Canada) and warm and sunny during the Epic cruise (to the Virgin Islands).

On 3/11/2019 at 3:03 AM, KeithJenner said:

Dress up or not night hasn’t been around on 7 day cruises for years now. It has been replaced by Norwegian Night Out, and I’ve not seen any suggestion on that night that people go to any particular restaurant based on dress.

They still had Dress Up or Not Night on my cruise recently but mine was a longer cruise. And only one restaurants really required a particular dress and it was a specialty restaurant. 

Edited by newbiecruiser25

1 hour ago, newbiecruiser25 said:

They still had Dress Up or Not Night on my cruise recently but mine was a longer cruise. And only one restaurants really required a particular dress and it was a specialty restaurant. 

Perhaps it is still done on some ships then. I’ve only seen it on some cruises longer than 7 days for the past few years though. How long was your cruise?

Edited by KeithJenner

Just off the Jade a couple weeks ago and Grand Pacific required men to wear long pants. Women could wear jeans as long as they were not ripped and no super short skirts. I watched a few men be turned away and told to put on pants if they were wearing shorts. Shirts didn't seem to matter (some had golf shirts on and some had t-shirts). This appeared to only be for dinner not lunch or breakfast and not on the embarkation day.

Just off  the Gem, while  there was printed  material that said no sorts  in GP and  Le  Bistro, I can tell you no  issue with Shorts  in GP.

Le  Bistro  is  small and they try keep it at a ceratin level.

But  jeans  are ok .  certailnly  no  jackets and  ties--I  didnt  see more  than a handful of people  with jackets and ties