Passau or Salzburg?

tashsmithvodafone

We did both during our April 2016 Danube cruise. Ended in Passau, spent a day there exploring. Then we took the train to Salzburg for a night.

Both are worth visiting. I did a trip report which will give you a good idea of what we did in both places. Take a look and see what looks more interesting to you. I'd hesitate to recommend one over the other for you, since I don't know what you would find more interesting.

Passau starts at post #170 in this thread. Salzburg starts at #199.

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

If you don't like The Sound of Music stay in Passau.

I have never understood the attraction of the Sound of Music, I've never heard of anyone going to London because of Mary Poppins.

Grin... The Sound of Music American musical is not well known in Germany. Even in Austria, an article I read a couple of years ago suggests that many people are not so familiar with it. There was a German film on the Trapp family that was popular a few decades ago.

Salzburg is for us always associated with Mozart. I went on a day trip to Salzburg and enjoyed it. I would hesitate to recommend one over the other. Perhaps Salzburg stands out for its setting close to the Alps, but then Passau has three rivers.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Spelling

We went to Salzburg from Linz and the bus ride didn't seem that big of a deal.

We had 2 days in Linz and I spent one day in Salzburg and the other day in the Austrian Lake district. I loved both days! Absolutely loved Salzburg to the point where I want to return and spend more time there and in the lake district!

In Passau - I went to Munich and Regensburg.

So I missed both Linz and Passau but loved all 4 days I spent in these towns.

I vote for Salzburg!

There is a lot more to Salzburg than the Sound of Music or Mozart.  Visit the city's website for more information.  Helbrunn Palace with it's trick fountains is really unique; take the funicular up to the fortress; there is also a nearby cable car so you can go up for a great view; palaces, churches.  

• 1 month later...

Can someone actually tell me how long the bus trip is from Passau to Salzberg?  We are definitely NOT interested in the Sound of Music excursion IF it's just a "theatrical" production indoors.  We would love to see Salzberg itself.

Senga

3 hours ago, Senga said:

Can someone actually tell me how long the bus trip is from Passau to Salzberg?  We are definitely NOT interested in the Sound of Music excursion IF it's just a "theatrical" production indoors.  We would love to see Salzberg itself.

Senga

Depending on the time of year and road conditions allow about 2 hours each ways.