Need to buy Drink Package on Royal Caribbean?

It's our first time going on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and I'm wondering if I need to buy a drinks package if I just want to get 2 drinks total on the trip.

My parents made it seem like if you didn't have a drink package, you couldn't get a drink at all, which doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks!

You really need to be a serious drinker (verging on having what might well be called a drinking problem) for a drink package to make economic sense. Do the math, count the drinks, consider the limitations (daily caps, no service to the already inebriated, port days ashore, etc.) and remember to add in the gratuities before going for it.

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You really need to be a serious drinker (verging on having what might well be called a drinking problem) for a drink package to make economic sense. Do the math, count the drinks, consider the limitations (daily caps, no service to the already inebriated, port days ashore, etc.) and remember to add in the gratuities before going for it.

Oh please stop.  We get the drinks package on all our cruises and are no where close to having a drinking problem.  We have gotten the package for as low as $39 a day.  With some of the drinks we prefer being close to the limit that's about 3 drinks a day plus a few bottles of water.  I drink enough in bottled water to cover at least a third of the cost if not more.  The packages are not just alcohol.

To the OP, no you do not need to buy any type of drink package, and if you drink 2 alcoholic drinks during the entire cruise it definitely would not make sense for you.  If you like non alcoholic frozen drinks or sodas, specialty coffees, etc there are other packages for those that may save you money, but again no need to purchase anything at all.

Edited by akcruz
Spelling
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

LMAO...You can't be serious!!! With RCL's inflated drink prices... I am paying $46/day for my upcoming cruise on AOS. 4 drinks a day will meet the breakeven number and this doesn't include the other non alcholic drinks (specialty coffee, water, juices, soda, etc) that you surely will consume several of daily. Also... the drink package covers your drinks on Labidee

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

I guess if you ONLY drink alcoholic beverages, then sure, you might have a problem.  But if you like soda, especially the Freestyle machines that have so many sugar-free options, if you like bottled water for excursions, if you like premium coffee, and you also like a few drinks (one at happy hour, one or two at dinner, one or two after dinner) then the Deluxe package makes sense.  

I know I would get at least the Refreshment package on any sailing, as I like my Freestyle soda, bottled water, and lattes with SF syrup.  The additional cost for the Deluxe makes sense, as I only need a few drinks per day to break even.  Do the math and see if it makes sense for you.  If you have on board credit, that can be used for the package, so you might be able to justify the package that way.  

• Like 3

It's our first time going on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and I'm wondering if I need to buy a drinks package if I just want to get 2 drinks total on the trip.

My parents made it seem like if you didn't have a drink package, you couldn't get a drink at all, which doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks!
Welcome to CruiseCritic

You do not need to purchase a package and you can pay by the drink, just expect high prices

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For me, the drink package makes no sense. Of course, I get the Diamond drinks each day which OP would not, but rarely have more than two. Don’t drink soda, coffee, virgin drinks or oj. Been cruising long before anyone decided that bottled water was a necessity, so no problem drinking the ship’s water. I love iced tea (usually brew a cup, pour over a glass of ice and add lemon which is better than the concentrate used onboard). Also have my two bottles of wine. So, if I actually purchase a frozen drink or two during a sea day, I’m still way ahead. 

Hi OP----as others have said, you do NOT have to buy a drink package to buy a drink.  

The package can be very cost effective for some people (and no you do not have to be alcoholic for that to be the case---geeze) but it can also be a huge waste of money for others ( I am in that second group).  

I am wondering if perhaps you are sharing a stateroom with your parents?  RCI does require that every adult in a stateroom purchase a package, OR no one does.  Are your parents wanting to buy the package and therefore pressuring you to do so as well and using some false info about not being able to order anything to get you to join in?

IF this is the motivation, you might consider getting the refreshment package for non alcoholic drinks---you have to call to book that for one person and the Deluxe package for others, but it can be done and costs half what the full package costs.  If you enjoy specialty coffees, soda, virgin drinks, etc maybe that would be worthwhile to you?  (though, IMO, if you do not want a pacakge, at all, no one should push one on you just so they get a discount).

8 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

LMAO...You can't be serious!!! With RCL's inflated drink prices... I am paying $46/day for my upcoming cruise on AOS. 4 drinks a day will meet the breakeven number and this doesn't include the other non alcholic drinks (specialty coffee, water, juices, soda, etc) that you surely will consume several of daily. Also... the drink package covers your drinks on Labidee

I did not say that it did not make economic sense - just that,  if it does make economic sense for you,  you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem: which, for a man, is defined as more than 4 drinks a day or more than 14 drinks a week (lower limits for a woman).  

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem: which, for a man, is defined as more than 4 drinks a day or more than 14 drinks a week (lower limits for a woman).  

Word of advice, stay away from that one, the AA police will provide some "feedback".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Lol!  Not true!  I got the package for $42 a day last times.  Each day I got at least 3 bottles of water (approx $10), a latte ($5), A glass of wine ($13), a drink with the show ($10), and at least one by the pool ($10).  Maybe our ideas of a drinking problem are different?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jefe317 said:

There are many free non-alcohol options at meals and around the ship.

You can also get drinks at the bar or restaurants 1 at a time (like $8-$12 per drink.  There are also more expensive ones).

If you want lots of soda, or a variety on non alcohol drinks, they have packages too.

You can also brink a 12 pack of soda (or water... I can’t remember how big they can each be?), and 2 bottles of wine, per stateroom, onboard...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I did not say that it did not make economic sense - just that,  if it does make economic sense for you,  you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem: which, for a man, is defined as more than 4 drinks a day or more than 14 drinks a week (lower limits for a woman).  

By whose definition?  And does that mean average year round, or mean if the person ever drinks that amount, say, when on vacation for a week, but most of the time does not?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I didn't realize you were my "keeper".... just mind your own business. Alcohol tolerancy varies by individual....DRinks on ships are notoriously weak......and to put your mind at ease....I rarely drink while at home. However...when cruising I enjoy to relax and drink....like many do. I find the drink package makes economical sense for me and no worries when the dreaded invoice of charges is left in your stateroom mailbox on disembarkation morning

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

By whose definition?  And does that mean average year round, or mean if the person ever drinks that amount, say, when on vacation for a week, but most of the time does not?

You and I are on the same page on our thought process!!!  He must be a recovering alcoholic!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Defined by US Govt - National Institutes of Health.  Probably applies more to a year round average than just an occasional binge.

1 minute ago, lcpagejr said:

You and I are on the same page on our thought process!!!  He must be a recovering alcoholic!!

Amazing how defensive some people get when confronted by a fact that might make them feel uncomfortable. 

I am am not a recovering alcoholic, and do not give a damn about how much you, or anyone else, drinks on a cruise.  

I am curious, however, about the level of concern expressed by a post about whether a drink package makes sense — when posted on a thread started about whether packages make sense.

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Amazing how defensive some people get when confronted by a fact that might make them feel uncomfortable. 

I am am not a recovering alcoholic, and do not give a damn about how much you, or anyone else, drinks on a cruise.  

I am curious, however, about the level of concern expressed by a post about whether a drink package makes sense — when posted on a thread started about whether packages make sense.

First of all the original post never asked if a package was worth it or not, only if it was required, you are the one that brought the judgement into the post.

Second, yes I am defensive when someone incorrectly insinuates I have a drinking problem just because I choose to buy a drink package.  You don't know me or anything about me.  Just so tired of every time a drink package question is asked the judgement comes out from someone.  While on vacation if I have 3 or 4 drinks over 8 or more hours each day for a week, but go home and don't drink anything for weeks, does that make me an alcoholic???  Sorry but I don't think so and as you can see many here also feel the same.

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The post was stupid.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, akcruz said:

First of all the original post never asked if a package was worth it or not, only if it was required, you are the one that brought the judgement into the post.

Second, yes I am defensive when someone incorrectly insinuates I have a drinking problem just because I choose to buy a drink package.  You don't know me or anything about me.  Just so tired of every time a drink package question is asked the judgement comes out from someone.  While on vacation if I have 3 or 4 drinks over 8 or more hours each day for a week, but go home and don't drink anything for weeks, does that make me an alcoholic???  Sorry but I don't think so and as you can see many here also feel the same.

Well said!!   I would of said "hear, hear"...but I don't want to offend that poster since alcohol is sometimes part of that saying!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you had simply restricted your comments to doing the math, no one would have cared. You, however, made additional comments about having a drinking problem. Whether intended or not, you basically implied that anyone who gets the drink package has a drinking problem. That’s what caused the defensiveness.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

If you had simply restricted your comments to doing the math, no one would have cared. You, however, made additional comments about having a drinking problem. Whether intended or not, you basically implied that anyone who gets the drink package has a drinking problem. That’s what caused the defensiveness.

This thread was titled “Need to buy a drink package on Royal Caribbean”

There is no suggestion that such a “need” could only be economic, and not a cruise line requirement.

Someone who wants just a drink or two every other day or so will most likely not find that a drink package makes much sense.  The more someone drinks, the more buying the package will make sense. 

Let’s just leave it at that - and ignore the logical implications.