People cruise a lot!

arsenalboy

OP, as with you I was amazed at what I found out about how passionate people are about cruising (so much so that I wrote a book about it.) I cruise each year with my grandkids when they spend the summer with me, and in the course of researching for our cruises it became clear to me just how much people cruise. And that sparked an idea for a book. I feature one couple that cruised 21 times...in 2018!

One Celebrity cruiser lives in Summit. When in drydock he moves to Equinox. Know another couple that spends Winter in ships. For them it's much better than renting for the season in Florida. Life is about choices and if it works for you, it works for you.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vidsmart said:

I feature one couple that cruised 21 times...in 2018!

Not quite up to Super Mario’s level over on Royal Caribbean.  He has cruised an average of 350 days a year, and has done that for the past 23 years now.  He is their most traveled passenger. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Not quite up to Super Mario’s level over on Royal Caribbean.  He has cruised an average of 350 days a year, and has done that for the past 23 years now.  He is their most traveled passenger. 

Agreed; one of the individuals profiled in the book who also has a unique story knows Super Mario and we thought perhaps he would agree to be profiled. It did not happen although I briefly mentioned him—I hear Super Mario is generally reluctant regarding publicity and has been approach by writers before

On March 14, 2019 at 11:47 AM, mahdnc said:

Since 2013, we have been taking yearly cruises to get our family back together.  My wife and I are empty nesters and the kids have professions that keep them away from home and we rarely see them.  

Even when the kids do make the occasional pilgrimage home, they understandably spend a lot of time visiting their friends!

So when we take our family cruise, I know we have them captive to ourselves in a very pleasant environment consisting of good weather, things to do/see, and no house chores to fight over.  There is plenty of together time to allow us to talk and catch up on things.

1A129296-A681-4208-B0B0-6112C893C51E.jpeg

Jan 7 2019, Antigua (Reflection 14 nt Caribbean cruise)

Beautifully said...I must keep that in mind the next time I plan a cruise. You are right...no better way to spend family time together while you magically get clean cabins, good food, laundry done and spa treatments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 6:07 AM, Sascol said:

Great story related to this topic...

We were at a comedy show on our annual cruise about 5 years ago.  Comedian said, "how many people have cruised more than 5 times?"  About half the room raised their hands.  He kept asking higher numbers...More than 10 times? More than 20 times?  When he got to 50 times, only one couple was left with their hands up.  His question to them?  "WHY DON'T YOU JUST BUY A BOAT????"

:classic_biggrin:

Love that......but when you buy a boat, you are responsible for the darn thing! I want to rent/lease a boat in 1/2/3 week time periods and give it back to them!! I once suggested to my wife that we should buy one of those RV’s and travel around. She gave me that cold stare and said: “Yeah, take the kitchen, bathroom and beds I have to make while you zip around up front....that’s a vacation for you!”. So here we are cruising as much as we can!

DEN

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Love that......but when you buy a boat, you are responsible for the darn thing! I want to rent/lease a boat in 1/2/3 week time periods and give it back to them!! I once suggested to my wife that we should buy one of those RV’s and travel around. She gave me that cold stare and said: “Yeah, take the kitchen, bathroom and beds I have to make while you zip around up front....that’s a vacation for you!”. So here we are cruising as much as we can!

DEN

The two happiest days in a boat owner's life......

On 3/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, crazyman3 said:

We've loved cruising... but we also enjoy relative luxury... so we only cruise once a year and enjoy suites etc etc.

However, in the last 12 years we've had some very special land-based holidays: Sri Lanka, Jordan, Scotland, the Nile, Morocco, Venice (not on a cruise that time!), Dubai and Syria/Lebanon. Our favourite was Syria (just before the war) but Sri Lanka was remarkable. 

The cruises we'd like to do:

a) The West coast of Africa

b) UK to Iceland to Greenland to Canada to New England.

The former is booked! Azamara 2020! Bring it on!

The latter... can't find what we want unless it is a B2B. Ideas?

I suspect you have looked at August 16, 2020 Summit Dublin - Iceland Overnight - Greenland Boston?   Close but not exactly what you asked for.

We have 15 cruises in 25 years and just reached Elite Status.  Would love to cruise more than once/year now that we are retired but with our only grandchild 1000+ miles away, we find ourselves either flying or driving to Boston for short trips.    

Our favorite part of cruising is that we unpack once and our hotel moves from place to place.   Australia is on our bucket list for 2020.

This year we are deciding between a Panama Canal cruise with X or the Rocky Mountaineer train in the Canadian Rockies.  So many places!  Lots of time as we are retired, but the old fixed income is in play.

Edited by shofer

On 3/14/2019 at 8:36 AM, arsenalboy said:

We are all different, that's what makes the world go round?

We are seniors who are UK based and will be taking our third Celebrity cruise in May. We previously sailed P and O 25 years ago.

I find these boards fascinating and am constantly amazed when people say they have cruised over a hundred times or have a dozen cruises in the pipeline. You guys must be living on the vessels!

Interested to know the driving force behind taking so many cruises? I understand there are many places to go and many places to see. That could run up a couple of dozen cruises but there are many who claim multiples of that. Where do you get the time for so many each year?

Don't get me wrong I think taking a cruise is fabulous, but there are so many vacation experiences that cannot be had on a boat and so many places to visit that are nowhere near water.

Just curious? 

I currently have 5 booked over the next two years, one issue is MRs Gut isn allowed fly, I hate driving long distances so for us cruising t is.

id like to do more but time ad money constrain me

we love getting on, unpack awake to a new waterfront location each day, and do as us or as little as we like onboard.