When are Guaranteed cabin numbers assigned

Jilltoons

I have tried to search for the topic. First time on Holland America. My cruise is in 2 weeks. What has been your experience to when your room number is assigned. We have a gtd verandah on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Thank you so much for your help.

5 minutes ago, Jilltoons said:

I have tried to search for the topic. First time on Holland America. My cruise is in 2 weeks. What has been your experience to when your room number is assigned. We have a gtd verandah on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Thank you so much for your help.

It’s usually any where’s from 14 days to the day of disembarkation.

The average seems to be around 7 days out.  It just depends on upsells, etc.

Our cruise is further away and some people have been proactive and gotten upgrades and assigned cabins.  Guarantees haven’t been assigned yet though.

The fastest way to check to see if you have an assignment is to log in and check your luggage tags.  The assignment seems to show there first for some reason.

• Like 1

With HAL's aggressive pushing of "upsells", the assignment of guarantee cabins has been pushed further back closer to sailing date.  They want to work on making a few extra dollars on people willing to pay for upgrades (I do not blame HAL) - need to maximize profits for us shareholders.

The one time we had a guarantee on HAL, I remember it being very late, though I cannot now specifically say how close to embarkation it was. We did get upgraded from an inside to an OV. This was on the Noordam for a Greek Isles cruise.

2 hours ago, cruisebie said:

When I was on the Veendam last October, I received my cabin assignment at 10 days out.   I have heard that it can be as late as when you arrive at the pier, but that was not the case for me.

Some people may find out when they arrive for check-in, but chances are the info was on the web site by the evening before and was just not looked at.

The latest I have ever received a GTY assignment (and not on HAL) was 24 hours before embarkation while I was on a flight to the port city. I checked after I landed and found the cabin assignment. If I had not checked, I would not have learned about it until checking in.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:14 PM, Jilltoons said:

I sail on April 6th and got my assignment this morning exactly 10 days out! Happy with my cabin too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

I sail out too on April 7th on Noordam I’m waiting too.  Let us know if you get yours tomorrow.  I checked like five times a day, I’m driving myself crazy. 

Do you know to check your luggage tags?  For some crazy reason, cabin numbers first appear there on the HAL website.

Yes, thanks I have been doing that too.  This cruise is repositioning from Australia and New Zealand to Vancouver for the Alaska run.  It was sold as a 36 day, 21 day, 15 day and 7 day.  All legs just sold out about three weeks ago.  Lots of sea says, some people don’t like them we love them.  People on roll call getting email upsells  late last week.    Our worst case for cabin assignment was at the checkin port, they said they were still looking for a room for us and they would calll guest services on the ship, it took so long for them to find a cabin for us, people had even started boarding (and we had even arrived early to the port as it was our home port).  That was so unnerving to see people board and we haven’t been assigned a cabin yet.  Anyhow worked out we had an inside gty. and got a main deck unobstructed OV, complete with original passengers luggage already in the room.😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hugger said:

We sail on the 7th too

so maybe cabin will be assigned today. 

We got our assignment today. We are on deck 4 starboard not far from aft elevators. Looks perfect to me.

• Like 3

We sail on the NS this Sunday and still do not have our cabin assignments.  We have 2 balcony cabin guarantees in our party and neither has been assigned.  Has never been this late before!  Getting very anxious!