First drink

bjtravelnews

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

A Mr Worldwide is a drink specific to NCL. Apparently they came up with it when Pitbull was part of the launch party for the Escape? Anyway, it's vodka, pimm's, strawberry puree, lemon juice, and sparkling wine. Usually topped with basil.

Wow, this sounds very refreshing.  I will be trying it on my TA in April.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

I love a good drink list post!  

I usually wind up with a margarita on the rocks as my first drink.  Last cruise I discovered the Rebellious Fish about halfway through.  Can’t wait to have another one of those on the Breakaway in three weeks! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hawkman402 said:

Mudslide!  In 4 days!

1497837418-Bushwacker_1312_1.jpg

On our last cruise (Allure of the Seas), we asked the bartender at the bar in Central Park, "Could we get a mudslide?"  He said (in thick Eastern European accent), "I make you one if you tell me what is?"  He had never heard of a mudslide...we found out later he was a trainee.  So I googled the recipe on the spot.  When you make one from scratch and not from a mix, it is INCREDIBLY alcoholic and complex.  The recipe on my iphone actually required me to click a "next" button to get the rest.  It was PHENOMENAL...and it made enough for about 2.5 drinks, so our new friend tried a little with us.  We all agreed it was amazing.  Haven't tried at home...my liquor cabinet doesn't have what I need, and I think I'd drop $200 at Total Wine to get it!  Best ship drink ever!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slugg said:

I grew up with screwdrivers. It was my dad’s go-to, standard drink. In general, in non-vacation mode, I stick to conservative drinks that are relatively unsweet. A beer, whiskey/scotch on the rocks, stuff like that. The sweetest “normal” drink for me is whiskey and Coke Zero. Try it some time - it’s better than whiskey with Coke Classic!  🙂

Loved your whole post, but I really reacted to this part!  You are SO right, better with Coke Zero or Diet Coke.  For me it's usually Jack and Coke Zero.  Whiskey works too.  I like it because it's fast and easy to make, and depending on tolerance level or mood, the ratio of booze to coke is so easily changed.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2019 at 6:44 PM, bjtravelnews said:

Hello everyone.  Getting excited for our June cruise to Bermuda,  Fourth time to the island, first time on the Escape.  Two years ago when sailing on the Breakaway, we were at the bar near Spice H2O to get our first drink of the cruise.  Someone in front of me got something frozen that looked wonderful.  So I asked the bartender to make me the same thing.  I can't remember what it was.  So - my question for you summer cruisers - what drink do you usually get to start your cruise?  Can't wait to hear some of your answers!  Thanks everyone!

Almost every cruise is different for me, but the last couple have started with a Long Island Iced Tea.  I like something strong to help me get into a relaxed state of mind.  Fru-fru drinks come later!

• Like 1

On NCL, I love a Rebellious Fish!  Another favorite is the martini with cucumber and basil... whatever they call that one.  

But I admit that I usually start with something simpler, like a Prosecco or a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

• Like 1

Pina Colada is always my first drink aboard, and that tradition will be followed again in about 13 or so hours!  On my last cruise I bumped into some ladies at the bar who were having shots of a frozen green drink... it was a grasshopper and tasted just like a Girl Scout thin mint cookie... that maybe my new second drink! Try it with a little chocolate drizzle in the glass!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JustAllie said:

On NCL, I love a Rebellious Fish!  Another favorite is the martini with cucumber and basil... whatever they call that one.  

But I admit that I usually start with something simpler, like a Prosecco or a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

Love the Rebellious Fish! It’s my go-to cocktail when I can’t think of anything else. Also, the Mr. Worldwide (named after Pitbull) is excellent and is topped with champagne/Prosecco. Try it!

27 minutes ago, Mechman1971 said:

Havana's and Banana up in Margaritaville Bar.  Get to get to know the bartender there, as it's often not a very busy bar.

Orange juice, cream of coconut, pineapple juice, Pussers Rum, Slice of Orange or pineapple  and a  dash of nutmeg on top. 

• Like 1

Our first on the last cruise was a Bahama Mama and it was so good it became my go to when I couldn't decide on anything. Since we had the beverage package I think I tried almost one of everything in that 9 days! Oh! the perfect margarita was delightful as well.

My go to in everyday life is vodka and lemonade. I never thought there would be no lemonade on the Dawn so I was stuck drinking all kind of other stuff. I will make sure to take some Crystal Lite packs with me on the Breakaway in case they have no lemonade.

25 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

Our first on the last cruise was a Bahama Mama and it was so good it became my go to when I couldn't decide on anything. Since we had the beverage package I think I tried almost one of everything in that 9 days! Oh! the perfect margarita was delightful as well.

My go to in everyday life is vodka and lemonade. I never thought there would be no lemonade on the Dawn so I was stuck drinking all kind of other stuff. I will make sure to take some Crystal Lite packs with me on the Breakaway in case they have no lemonade.

If you like vodka and lemonade you will probably like a drink called a blue lagoon. It’s vodka, lemonade and blue Curacao. It’s very tropical looking and they usually add fruit and an umbrella and serve it in a hurricane glass. I make them at home all summer long and I can’t remember a place that didn’t let me order one before.

• Like 2

In our first few cruises we always started with the drinks and the souvenir glasses out by the pool.  When we sold our house we got rid of all of our "souvenir glasses" . Great memories, but we were downsizing from the big house and had no room. Now our first drink is a Hendricks dry martini for me with cocktail onions and a hot and dirty martini for my wife.  We toast to a wonderful cruise and it starts out perfectly!!!

3 hours ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

We always start with a shot of fireball(BJ you are on our cruise so thinking you need to have one with us)

With a mudslide and margherita... This is our 3rd summer cruise on NCL and have always started it this way.... Great ideas by all!

Would love to meet up for a drink!

On 3/28/2019 at 7:57 AM, kfnesq said:

For me, my vacation drink of choice (cruising or not), is a French 75.  One, because it's refreshing, and two, because it combines two of my favorite things:  gin and champagne.  A word to the wise--two of these are great, a third will be the devil coming for your soul. 

• 2 ounces  gin (I prefer Plymouth but no one ever has it)
  • ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
  • ¾ ounce simple syrup
  • 2 ounces Champagne
  • Long spiral lemon twist (for serving)

Love French 75

On 3/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, df5250 said:

Pina Colada is always my first drink aboard, and that tradition will be followed again in about 13 or so hours!  On my last cruise I bumped into some ladies at the bar who were having shots of a frozen green drink... it was a grasshopper and tasted just like a Girl Scout thin mint cookie... that maybe my new second drink! Try it with a little chocolate drizzle in the glass!!

We grew up w/ Grasshoppers  --  era of the Midwest SupperClubs!!!

On 3/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, bjtravelnews said:

Hello everyone.  Getting excited for our June cruise to Bermuda,  Fourth time to the island, first time on the Escape.  Two years ago when sailing on the Breakaway, we were at the bar near Spice H2O to get our first drink of the cruise.  Someone in front of me got something frozen that looked wonderful.  So I asked the bartender to make me the same thing.  I can't remember what it was.  So - my question for you summer cruisers - what drink do you usually get to start your cruise?  Can't wait to hear some of your answers!  Thanks everyone!

I am very boring: usually I start out with a glass of red wine. My go to drink they no longer make. It was a Toma but on the Dawn last month they said they do not make them anymore..:classic_sad: