First drink

bjtravelnews

Hello everyone.  Getting excited for our June cruise to Bermuda,  Fourth time to the island, first time on the Escape.  Two years ago when sailing on the Breakaway, we were at the bar near Spice H2O to get our first drink of the cruise.  Someone in front of me got something frozen that looked wonderful.  So I asked the bartender to make me the same thing.  I can't remember what it was.  So - my question for you summer cruisers - what drink do you usually get to start your cruise?  Can't wait to hear some of your answers!  Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

Was it orange with red? If so, that's a mango meltdown... Although, when I get it, I order it as a mango margarita, with patron silver, (and no strawberry syrup, or amoretto)

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Was it orange with red? If so, that's a mango meltdown... Although, when I get it, I order it as a mango margarita, with patron silver, (and no strawberry syrup, or amoretto)

It was more red.  I had the mango meltdown later in the cruise.  That was wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder.  Going to have to start a to-do drink list!

Going to hijack this thread ever so slightly because I can see it’s already gotten the attention of the pro drinkers. 🙂

I don’t drink much, usually not at all on cruises. Bad alcohol metabolism or something. Going to have the UBP next trip. I like Kir Royals (incidentally because I had one at Le Bistro on my first cruise ever). Is this a pretty common drink I should be able to get at most bars onboard, or at least some other fruity sparkling wine concoction? (No peach, please. I do really like the creme de cassis in the Kir royals, just not sure if that’s a common liqueur.)

I don't drink too much liquor - mostly beer - so can't answer your question AdoraBelle but I'm curious, what is Kir Royals? And also sid_9169 can you tell me what is in the mango meltdown? I think a to-do drink list is a great idea bjtravelnews - you got me keeping track already 😉 

A Kir Royal is basically just champagne or sparkling wine with about a teaspoon of a liqueur called Creme de Cassis (i think it’s black currant or something) and maybe an orange peel twist.

This is nearly the sum total of all my cocktail knowledge.

3 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

A Kir Royal is basically just champagne or sparkling wine with about a teaspoon of a liqueur called Creme de Cassis (i think it’s black currant or something) and maybe an orange peel twist.

This is nearly the sum total of all my cocktail knowledge.

lol more than my knowledge (besides frozen drinks!) But thanks, that sounds a bit sweet for me but hey, never say never 😉 

1 minute ago, Gingerclerg said:

My favorite drink is a Dark and Stormy. Since you are headed to Bermuda you might try it, it has its origin there. Goslings Rum and Ginger beer with lime. 

I've heard of that but yet to try it. But thanks, now I can add it to my list 😉 

This thread is fun thanks bjtravelnews for starting it 🙂 

2 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

Used to be a daiquiri but now it's a mudslide - sort of chocolate milk with alcohol lol. I also like the Miami vice, so that's usually the 2nd drink 😉 

Mudslide!  In 4 days!

1497837418-Bushwacker_1312_1.jpg

Edited by hawkman402
  • Like 3

It all depends.  If I have a beer (not often) I have a Pilsner Urquel.  I don't even know if Escape has them.  Usually I have a Ketel One martini, very cold, very dry, straight up with olives.  More than one of those and I run the risk of getting stupid, and no one wants that!!!! 

Elvis

I get vodka sodas. But my favorite sugary frozen drink is by far a Miami Vice! Red white and blue frozen goodness! Used to be my goto but with wisdom I now get a handful at most on my cruises and stick to vodka sodas. Sometimes I’ll do mimosas in the mornings. Or fireball shots at night. I used to do Mai Tais all day but since I changed my diet I find that much sugar disgusting especially since I’ll drink heavily on some days when I cruise. I now exclusively try to only select longer 11+ night cruises until my life tells me otherwise so some days I take a break even with UBP vs the 7 day cruise (ideal length for most) where I’m going heavy trying to get my moneys worth. Nothing like a 14 day cruise. It’s addicting 

Edited by CarribeanCruiser28

Hi Everyone,

My entire family is going on the Encore out of NY in April 2020 to Bermuda. I am going to do a priority drink list for sure. Frozen drinks vs. regular cocktails is always up for debate. My husband loves his screwdrivers and I flip flop between frozen and regular. I am going to follow this thread for sure for ideas. 

• Like 1

I always start with a Mimosa.  A couple years ago, we saw an exasperated woman trudge up to a bar and announce to everyone around there "I need a Mimosa."  Ever since, I always start a cruise with a Mimosa as a first drink in honor of that nameless woman.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It depends on which bar I end up at first. If I go straight to O'sheehan's/The Local for lunch, then I will either do a Screwdriver or that Jack Daniel's Lemonade thing they have on the menu there. If it's the Atrium Bar right after boarding, it's a Mr. Worldwide (god I love those!). If it's one of the pool deck bars, it's a Mango Meltdown.

• Like 1

I don't have frozen drinks examples, but we fell in love with Toasted Almond

2oz Kahlua

2oz Amaretto

4oz Milk or Heavy cream

Ice

This drink is not usually on menu, but in all barmen on Star knew how to do it 🙂

• Like 1