What to Pre-Book and what to Book onbaord

Booman14

Hello Everyone,

If this has been addressed before, please forgive me.....

My family and I have a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway coming up soon, and my TA told me that around 120 days I need to go to my Norwegian account and start pre-booking restaurants and shore excursions.  I understand pre-booking the excursions, but what about the restaurants? One of our perks was the specialty dinning.  So I guess my question is, what should you or can you pre-book, and what should you wait until you are on the ship to book?  This includes shows, dining, and anything else you can do on the ship.

Thanks in advance....

44 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Grab any shows and dining you want that you can get online, especially if you want earlier time slots. Do it now!

Definitely best to book through the web site in advance if you can. They only pre-book between 25 and 30% of the reservations online in advance, but scrambling for that last 70-75% of slots once on board can be a challenge. Decent times for the specialty restaurants will fill up the first day once on board.

I try to book everything I can as soon as they are offered to book.  Have done this on every cruise.  That way we get exactly what we want when we want it.  We prefer earlier dining and those slots go fast.

I always pre book dinner reservations and select tours.  I am still trying to decide on the tours since we have on board credit and per port credit for tours.  We are on the NCL Pearl in June and the tours I want are more pricey. There are always lines at the cruise excursions and you need to be prepared.  I am trying to prepare myself since on our two previous NCL cruises we were in the Haven and had the concierge assist with tours.  This time no Haven, so I may be more proactive.

For Breakaway, you can pre-book Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, and Cirque Dreams (show and dinner) though I heard they are replacing that one. 

Now that so many people get specialty dining as a free perk, those really fill up. If you kind of already know your plan, it’s best to make reservations so that you can start relaxing as soon as you board and not wait in a line scrambling to make reservations. 

There are a few other things that you can only book once on board, like Canvas by U and the escape room and I’m not sure what else.

If you are going to a show and eating dinner first, allow at least an hour and a half for dinner, preferably two hours. 

18 hours ago, Booman14 said:

Can you tell me what shows you can pre-book?

Shore excursions can be booked well in advance (more than 120 days in most cases). Popular excursions may sell out. 

Exactly 120 days prior to cruise (130 if you are in a suite)

- book the two main shows Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. 

- book the Cirque dinner show (extra charge). 

Then

- book your specialty dining around the shows. Popular prime time dinner times will sell out. The system will block 2.5 hours on your calendar for dinner. 

Onboard at the box office (Deck 7 Forward Starboard theater entrance). 

- book comedy shows 

- book escape rooms 

- book canvas by u painting classes 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, bevkay said:

I am sailing on the Breakaway in June but don't have the ability to book Cirque Dreams. Any idea why? Thanks

I believe a read awhile back, they are leaving the ship soon. We sail in May and don't show up for our cruise 5/5