Vicki van Tassel

Silver Spectre

Rather sad to hear the Vicki has jumped ship and has gone to work for Viking. She had 7 great years with SS, first as a Choozi performer and for the last 4 as an excellent CD. She will be greatly missed, but we wish her well in her new job.

• Like 1

Well that'll show SS what happens when it stops CDs performing their shows!

Altho' I suspect it's something more prosaic like a young up-and-coming ocean cruise line ...

Edited by jollyjones

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well that'll show SS what happens when it stops CDs performing their shows!

Altho' I suspect it's something more prosaic like a young up-and-coming ocean cruise line ...

I suspect that it is something more personal!

NO!!! I don’t care why she’s leaving Silversea, I just wish her well and hope she knows how much SO many of us love her. I remember when she first joined the SS troupe...always a standout. I feel privileged to have sailed with her for lots of wonderful years. Deborah

• Like 1

We hope that she received an offer from Viking that she just couldn’t refuse.  We will always remember the Superbowl party hosted by the  Wellseasoneds in Rio where we had a chance to really get to know Vicki.  She is a very talented lady who deserves to have much success in her career.

We will miss her.

I was tipped off about her departure several weeks ago, but felt it inappropriate to publish at that time.

Her departure, has, inevitably led to some rearrangement to fill the gaps left by her leaving.

Whilst Colin Brown is generally credited with being her first mentor, the fact that it was Kirk Detweiler who was instrumental in her getting the job as CD, is always overlooked.

Vicki decided to keep her ex husband's surname, Van Tassel,  as she felt it better suited a stage career, than her own maiden name.

i sailed with Vicki several times and concur with all the comments about her one woman show.  She also put on an impromptu Abba show by request from passengers, who were disappointed that the Voices of Silversea were not including an Abba production show which they had done previously.  This show was hilarious and it received a standing ovation.

One abiding memory occurred during a deck party.  She said to Hotel Director Flavio, that she was going to jump into the swimming pool, but he forbade it!  Later in the evening she reiterated her intention and proceeded to do so fully clothed!  This led me to call her the Underwater Cruise Director!

I also enjoyed several hilarious dinners in the company of Flavio, Nicolas (F&B) and her, and am sorry that this will not be repeated.

Viking's gain is Silversea's very sad loss but I wish her well, and hope she has continued success.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

Well,  Viking need some good news at the moment, I suppose and they are certainly getting a treasure in Vicki. I recall Kirk drawing her out to assist him and it was obvious that she had natural CD ability. It is also obvious from her comments elsewhere that the opportunity to perform is at least part of her reason for the move.

If CDs are being moved around to replace her, has anyone any idea who, what and where they are going to be over the next few months?

Rp

I did a crossing with Luke as an entertainer (members of the Voices) in 2017, but he took his own time to sit and chat with guests and we all enjoyed him very much.  I guess that since then he was pruning himself for a CD job... I'll be very glad if I see him on my next Seabourn cruise next year.  So sorry if he isn't in any of my Silversea bookings.

• Like 1

Hmmm ... I wonder if SS is finding itself a little depleted in CDs? Maybe some very new faces coming soon?

PS I was also looking forward to Luke as a CD, will miss him. Hope his career flourishes.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Luke was made an Assistant Cruise Director in August 2017, thanks to considerable pressure for the appointment from Jimmy Kovell, with whom he worked on the Muse.  His ratings quickly became very high proving his popularity with passengers.  He was though, unhappy that he was not able to perform, even as an ACD.  

SS needs to realise that people such as Vicki & Luke are artistes first and foremost and live and breathe for the roar of the crowd and the smell of the greasepaint.   Like a tiger kept in a cramped cage, they are bound to get unhappy if they are not allowed to do what they like doing best.  Both are extremely talented and provided excellent entertainment.

SS needs to make up its mind whether the role of CD should be modelled on a social host like Fernando ( a phrase used about him by an SS HD), or an entertainer capable of providing excellent stagecraft and managerial support to the entertainment team, whilst also being the public face of the officers on board.

Will Colin Brown be next?  And what is Moss doing on an expedition ship, which previously did not have a CD?

Kindesr regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

Jimmy K told me that Moss has gone to the Expedition side because SS wants to improve the entertainment offerings there so Moss will develop the programme. 

PS And much as Colin enjoys and is good at his job, surely he must be wanting to retire soon?

Edited by jollyjones

6 hours ago, Master Echo said:

And what is Moss doing on an expedition ship, which previously did not have a CD?

Moss left the Shadow in Singapore and went straight to one of the Expedition ships?  Which one?  I assume the Cloud, but only because the others seems so tiny in comparison? 

What's interesting to me is that we had absolutely zero interaction with Moss on our February voyage, not even a greeting or goodbye, which was so out of character compared to our prior two voyages with him on the Spirit, especially when I consider this voyage was 14-days whereas the others were 7 - 9 days.  Maybe he was preoccupied with preparing for his new job?  Oh well, it didn't bother us, just found it odd.

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Jimmy K told me that Moss has gone to the Expedition side because SS wants to improve the entertainment offerings there so Moss will develop the programme.

Interesting.  Well, if anyone can develop the program for the Expedition fleet, SS has certainly given it to an individual capable of the job.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, drron29 said:

We were told that when the Wind is converted to an Expedition ship it's CDs will retire.

We just finished our Wind sailing, and the intention is to keep the Wind in the classic line, but have the ability to do Arctic/Antarctic regions.

Colin was a very good CD, extremely personable, and his performances playing piano during two different events were fantastic.  With the departure of Vicki, I'm guessing his retirement plans pay have been pushed back if there was any discussion.  

Two weeks ago we had lunch with Conrad Commbrink who now is in charge of destinations for the whole fleet and the impression from him was that the Wind is becoming an Expedition ship.It has already been stated that the Wind along with the Cloud will do the Antarctic season from Ushuaia and the Explorer will be cruising to Antarctica and the sub Antarctic islands from Australia,New Zealand.

Also if you look at the Wind cruises after it's major dry dock you will notice that the baths/tubs will be removed from the verandah suites so it is not going to be the same old Wind.

Also there will be some announcements from SS in the next few weeks but we were sworn to secrecy.