Favourite Princess Offer

kirenne

Hi everyone,

I am positive that I have read this here and there in other topics, but I couldn't find where I saw it.

My boyfriend and I are looking to book the Star Hawaii cruise for Nov 4, 2019. The current offer seems fine, but I can't help but wonder if I should be waiting to book with a 'better' deal. Do you all have favourite offers that you wait for in order to book? I think I read that Sip n' Sail is probably coming soon - but I'm not sure how beneficial this would be to us, considering we do not drink alcohol & I personally only really drink water anyway (not a coffee/tea/soda fan). 

We're also trying to save for a house, so our budget is not very high - we're considering an oceanview obstructed cabin, since we don't spend much time in there anyway, but would like some natural light. I tried contacting a TA, but she said her company could not give a great offer for an obstructed, only a regular oceanview, which makes booking direct with Princess the better option at this point. 

Any suggestions would be welcomed! I tried to search the forums for a similar topic but came up short - apologies if this is posted elsewhere. 

Thank you! 

The best promo in my opinion is “3 for free” however I don’t know when it will be offered and whether is would include your specific cruise. Since Princess let’s you reprice your cruise if it decreases prior to final payment, I would book the cabin catogory you want and then just keep watching the prices.

10 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

Since Princess let’s you reprice your cruise if it decreases prior to final payment, I would book the cabin catogory you want and then just keep watching the prices.

I didn't know that was an option! Thank you! 

Option 1. Recommended if you really want to go on this voyage on this date. Book the cruise you want under the current promotion. You can always change it if a better offer comes around before final payment date, around the end of August. The current Come Back New offer has a refundable deposit, so you will not lose it if you change to a better promo.

Option 2. Wait until after final payment date, closer to the sailing date, and see what you can find.  Don't know where you are from, but you may have to consider air fare.

The Sip & Sail was offered the last few years from June until September. Fares may actually be higher for this promo. It was mainly for cruises in the following year. The promo also only applied if you booked a Balcony cat. cabin or higher.

The 3 for free has been offered in the fall the last few years. Unlikely it would be available for your sailing.

If Princess follows the same pattern these promos, if offered, would most likely not cover a Nov. 4th cruise.

Points of information. Hawaii cruises have lots of sea days, 9 of them. You have to enjoy sea days. Usually 2 to 3 going to Hawaii and the last few days on the return are not tropical sit around the pool. Seas may be choppy. There are lots of inside activities. Tiki Dave and Leialoha are scheduled to be on the Star next season offering Hawaiian cultural programs and entertainment. They are good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Option 1. Recommended if you really want to go on this voyage on this date. Book the cruise you want under the current promotion. You can always change it if a better offer comes around before final payment date, around the end of August. The current Come Back New offer has a refundable deposit, so you will not lose it if you change to a better promo.

Option 2. Wait until after final payment date, closer to the sailing date, and see what you can find.  Don't know where you are from, but you may have to consider air fare.

The Sip & Sail was offered the last few years from June until September. Fares may actually be higher for this promo. It was mainly for cruises in the following year. The promo also only applied if you booked a Balcony cat. cabin or higher.

The 3 for free has been offered in the fall the last few years. Unlikely it would be available for your sailing.

If Princess follows the same pattern these promos, if offered, would most likely not cover a Nov. 4th cruise.

Points of information. Hawaii cruises have lots of sea days, 9 of them. You have to enjoy sea days. Usually 2 to 3 going to Hawaii and the last few days on the return are not tropical sit around the pool. Seas may be choppy. There are lots of inside activities. Tiki Dave and Leialoha are scheduled to be on the Star next season offering Hawaiian cultural programs and entertainment. They are good.

That was excellent information, thank you very much! I think we will likely book now and see what happens given that we can change it later.

Thanks for the tips on the itinerary - sea days were our favourite part of our last cruise (to Alaska, so we unfortunately didn't have as many), and I have read about some choppier waters to and from. I will be bringing motion sickness meds for sure! I've been studying the patters, a lot of activities look very interesting. Thanks again! 

• Like 2

I'll add another vote for the 3 for 3 deal.  The in-category upgrade doesn't matter too much to me, but the on-board credit is great and the paid gratuities is wonderful.  That's just extra OBC.  For my next cruise in September, I'm thinking that the free gratuities and the OBC we're getting will cover any on-board expenses we may have.  I usually buy a few photos, a couple small souvenirs in the gift shop and maybe one dinner in a specialty restaurant.  It's nice to not have to budget extra money for those things.  

I don't really drink, so the Sip & Sail doesn't interest me, but for those who buy many drinks, that can be a big money-saver.  

I would also look for another TA if you current one will not give you a good deal on the obstructed ocean view.  Sounds like they are restricting your choices for some reason.  Agree to looking out for a 3 for free deal. Enjoy your cruise Everyone should go to Hawaii at least once in their life.

Edited by Potstech

We had a Princess TA change ours from 300 OBC to the sip and sail, the room rate did not change. If prices drop and you refare, you will lose any promos that have expired. The other option is to wait till after final payment if you are not concerned with your room location. We wanted a certain room, so for us, getting that corner after booked was our priority. 🙂 

I always liked 3 for Free, too, but I agree that it’s unlikely that it will apply to a November cruise if it’s repeated. I don’t like Sip n Sail because I don’t drink anything but water. Remember, you can ask them to remove the amenities package and give you a reduced price. I have a big cruise booked for next year and I saved a lot. It will be a lot cheaper for me to pay my own gratuities. I don’t know if they will always let you remove the amenities package, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. 

1 hour ago, fluffybunny22 said:

What is the 3 for free promo? I currently have no promo or any perks for a June 2020 sailing of the Sky. I would love the sip and sail but don't want to pay more.

Are in North America? if yes, watch for promos on your sailing as they appear. You can do this by searching for cruises on the Princess.com website. For the last few years the Sip & Sail was offered during the summer months, the 3 for free during the fall months. If your sailing is included then you can compare the net cost by using the web site. You can then change your booking by calling Princess if booked directly or your T.A.

In the past 3 for free included a free upgrade within your category, OBC depending on the cabin cat. booked, and free gratuities.

Some sailings were excluded from these promos.

Sip and Sail is nice - but you generally have to book way out to get that.  We booked on 1st day possible for our Hawaii cruise and a few weeks later it was open for Sip and Sail at no upcharge.  That cruise had a few other promotions but every single time I checked (quite often) it kept going up in price not down.

Just note that with the exception of post final payment fire sales many cruises are never cheaper then they are when first offered.  There have been exceptions for cruises made unpopular for reasons like Brazil and Zika...

2 hours ago, Raamo said:

Sip and Sail is nice - but you generally have to book way out to get that.  We booked on 1st day possible for our Hawaii cruise and a few weeks later it was open for Sip and Sail at no upcharge.  That cruise had a few other promotions but every single time I checked (quite often) it kept going up in price not down.

Just note that with the exception of post final payment fire sales many cruises are never cheaper then they are when first offered.  There have been exceptions for cruises made unpopular for reasons like Brazil and Zika...

That sucks because I'm not really happy with the price of my June 2020 Baltic sailing. I am happy with my cabin though. Hopefully I can pick up sip and sail at no charge.

3 for Free is good. Sip and Sail is good - when you can get your cruise without a huge price increase. We had that for two cruises a while back and it was great. This time it didn't work for the cruises we had booked. The cabins went up $1,000 each when that promo came out but it worked well for quite a few others so it was still a good promo.

We have a promo on an upcoming cruise and I have no idea what it was called - if anything. It didn't show as a promo until you got to the end of the booking and then there was a link for extra stuff. We're booked for a 15 day connoisseur cruise tour to Alaska in May. We are getting $50 each "land credit" to use on the land portion plus Free Gratuities, Free Specialty Dinner, and $200 each in OBC. It's only a 7 day cruise. Added to the FCD credit and the shareholder credit we have $550 OBC for 7 days. I'd like to know the name (if any) of the promo... (I've just been calling it the "Cover The Bar Tab Promo".)

Edited by Thrak

When you book, take note if the deposit is refundable. Sometimes you lose your deposit if you request that your cruise be re-fared for a new sale and, yes, you'd most likely lose the perks you initially received if the initial promotion has expired. I say 'sometimes' and 'most likely' because (sometimes lol) it's difficult to predict... it's whatever Princess says. Last-minute sales are usually for new bookings only.

I've found that the 3-for-free hasn't dropped (for value) after we've booked. The Come Back New sale that's on now offers 2 (for free), cabin upgrade within your category and OBC. Tips are not included. The deposit is refundable. I'd probably book now if your heart is set on the sailing. You'd get the cabin upgrade and, being at the top of your cabin category, may eventually get an upsell offer... maybe not.

Edited by Adventures ahead

12 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

That sucks because I'm not really happy with the price of my June 2020 Baltic sailing. I am happy with my cabin though. Hopefully I can pick up sip and sail at no charge.

June 2020 sailings will most likely be included in June 2019 promo offers. You will just have to look to see if your voyage is included as some specific voyages are excluded. If you change your booking to a new promo you will receive the fare and benefits for the new offer and lose the current fare. I have always been able to retain my cabin.