Alcohol Watered Down?

Dboots

18 hours ago, ScottVV said:

Some bartenders are heavy handed whilst some are light handed..  I guess if you get a weak drink, just politely ask for another shot..  I can't see them saying no - then don't go back to that same bartender.  Once you find one that makes you a nice, stiff drink, make a habit of going back to them...  But as some said above, I highly doubt they water down their liquors..  The ends will outweigh the means (or is it the means will outweigh the ends...lol) if they did that....  and I've had some weak drinks served to me, but I never thought they were tainted with water, and I just chalked it up on a poor pour - Just don't let the ice melt in your drinks :classic_biggrin:

If you're concerned, just order your liquor on the rocks with tour mixer as a back. 

9 hours ago, Judyrem said:

In a new bar, I usually order wine, champagne or a beer.  No watering down?

What kind of bars are you going to that this is a concern? life long bartender. never ever heard of a bar watering down liquor. I f they were caught, crazy repercussions.

7 hours ago, Dboots said:

Well I'm glad for everyone's input...yes it was at RC Bar on ship, yes I do tip....but I did realize they were already getting a $1.60 on each drink.....whoever said I should have tasted the shot was a good idea. I should have stuck to wine! 🍹...next time I'll test it better!

If you had a liquor package, you were not paying 1.60 for your drink.If you paid 50 a day, your tip for the day was 9 bucks.( bucks for all your coffees, sodas ,bottled water AND your cocktails.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad for everyone's input...yes it was at RC Bar on ship, yes I do tip....but I did realize they were already getting a $1.60 on each drink.....whoever said I should have tasted the shot was a good idea. I should have stuck to wine! 🍹...next time I'll test it better!

To tnkr2.....ur asking what kind of bar I'm going to that this happens....I'm on cruise critic and I'm talking about the pool bar on majesty........I dont think an individual bartender is filling bottles with water although I'm sure it happens....and not sure where ur getting $9 a day tip for all....but in my calcs at 4 drinks a day x 5 days x the total package price = 1.60 per drink. 😎🍹

14 minutes ago, Dboots said:

To tnkr2.....ur asking what kind of bar I'm going to that this happens....I'm on cruise critic and I'm talking about the pool bar on majesty........I dont think an individual bartender is filling bottles with water although I'm sure it happens....and not sure where ur getting $9 a day tip for all....but in my calcs at 4 drinks a day x 5 days x the total package price = 1.60 per drink. 😎🍹

just wondering why any bartender would water down the booze. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

If you're concerned, just order your liquor on the rocks with tour mixer as a back. 

What kind of bars are you going to that this is a concern? life long bartender. never ever heard of a bar watering down liquor. I f they were caught, crazy repercussions.

If you had a liquor package, you were not paying 1.60 for your drink.If you paid 50 a day, your tip for the day was 9 bucks.( bucks for all your coffees, sodas ,bottled water AND your cocktails.

I am not saying the liquor is "watered down" but sometimes in a Margarita or Daiquiri I barely taste the alcohol.

I hate when that happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dboots said:

If that is all you drink all day, then it could come to $1.60 a drink.  If you drink the specialty coffee, soda, juice at breakfast, bottled water daily, you are not tipping $1.60 per drink.  It goes down based on how many things you order daily.  

If all I were going to do is get 4 drinks a day, I would NEVER get a package as it would probably not be worth it to me.  I do get lots of bottled water, a mocha coffee or two in the morning and fresh OJ so it is worth it to me to get the package and because of the number of things I get, which include perhaps 1 alcoholic drink during the day, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, and an after dinner drink or two.I tip extra per item with the exception of the bottled water. 

My items comes to over 10 per day so that's less than $1 per drink which is far less than if I ordered things without a package.  JMO.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:15 PM, katiel53 said:

No ice cream, a tiny splash of Kahlua and chocolate poured on the inside of the glass.  It was so bad that one sip was all I had of it.

Wow!  Sounds like the bartender did not know how to make them??  I drink Mudslides all the time and have never had an issue with them being made correctly, or having plenty of alcohol in them!!

I'm a pretty serious drinker when I'm on vacay, and I have never felt like a drink was weak or watered down. In fact, when I order something like a Captain and Coke, I ask for a tall glass so it's not too strong tasting. We usually have a White Russian for our night cap, and I call the vodka (Absolute Vanilla) and ask that they go heavy on the Kaluha (1:1 ratio) ….. never a problem. 

As a former bartender, 'watered down' means that they actually cut the booze with water in the bottle. This is highly illegal and gets any bar, and I'm guessing cruise ship, a heavy fine. This might happen at some hole in the wall neighborhood bar, but if a cruise ship did it, they wouldn't do it for long.   

22 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

Wow!  Sounds like the bartender did not know how to make them??  I drink Mudslides all the time and have never had an issue with them being made correctly, or having plenty of alcohol in them!!

I will say.. Ice cream isn't a mandatory ingredient....   as long as you have the main four of Bailey's, Kahlúa, Vodka, and 1/2 and 1/2, blend with ice, you get a pretty good one.. Most bars won't have ice cream at the ready - especially cruise bars....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dboots said:

@katiel53 and I both explained the math to you pretty clearly. I am guessing that you have more than 4 a day of some beverage if you're buying a drinks package. I used the easy number of 50 per day, perhaps you paid even less. or maybe more. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dboots said:

And my question as what kind of bar was directed at and quoted @Judyrem.

Just got off Grandeur.  They were making most drinks with a single shot.  Previously, they were doing more like 1.5 - 2 shots.

Some bartenders were a bit better with their pours.

I think that drinks get stronger and stronger, then management notices and says something, then they start over.

BTW, unless RCCL is opening the bottles behind the scenes, watering them, then resealing the bottles with factory seals, they are not watering the alcohol in the bottles.

Edited by SRF

On 4/18/2019 at 2:33 PM, SuiteLady said:

Royal makes horrible mudslides. How can you like them made with ice instead of ice cream?