Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

53 minutes ago, Slburrough said:

Hey Zippedee I too disembarked with a wicked respiratory infection. Had to get medical assistance in Bruges. Have the the whole of my time in the UK since recovering. Insult to injury...

Getting the cruise crud sucks - believe me I've gotten in several times. But it's not just NCL you get it on. Part of the reason they're so washy washy happy happy. Doesn't always help, but a risk of any cruise. Or really any time spent in decently close contact of thousands of people for several days. 

23 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Getting the cruise crud sucks - believe me I've gotten in several times. But it's not just NCL you get it on. Part of the reason they're so washy washy happy happy. Doesn't always help, but a risk of any cruise. Or really any time spent in decently close contact of thousands of people for several days. 

I know it is common. I tried to spend as much time as I could outside, usually just outside the Garden Cafe, but it was just too cold to sit there reading for very long. Being inside so much gave those germs a head start. 

As others have stated, I hardly ever waited for an elevator, only waited a bit to be seated if I went to a restaurant early for a reservation, usually found a place to sit in the atrium or up in O'Sheehans as long as I didn't care if I could actually see what was happening on stage.  The long lines in guest services could be at least mitigated by going at off times. They are there 24 hours a day.

The real annoyances were the people that seemed to camp out in the Garden Cafe holding huge tables ALL DAY. There was one group causing a lot of disruption with pushing, line jumping and other annoyances, but for the most part I was determined to enjoy the journey.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, Zippeedee said:

As others have stated, I hardly ever waited for an elevator, only waited a bit to be seated if I went to a restaurant early for a reservation, usually found a place to sit in the atrium or up in O'Sheehans as long as I didn't care if I could actually see what was happening on stage.  The long lines in guest services could be at least mitigated by going at off times. They are there 24 hours a day.

We had experienced some very long wait times at many of the restaurants.  Sometimes we would have to go to several venues in order to find someplace to eat that didn't have an hour wait time.  It seemed obvious to us that this ship was not prepared for such a large number of guests to be indoors during most of the sailing.

As far as guest services, my observation was a line every time I looked.  I had an issue I needed to discuss, so I went by guest services every day, several times a day.  The one time I waited in line was at 11:30 pm, and there were only four other guests in line before me.  The next time, I was only able to have a short wait time at midnight, two nights before the end of the cruise.  I tried calling guest services from my stateroom to take care of my situation, but I was always told I had to go to guest services in person.

3 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

We had experienced some very long wait times at many of the restaurants.  Sometimes we would have to go to several venues in order to find someplace to eat that didn't have an hour wait time.  It seemed obvious to us that this ship was not prepared for such a large number of guests to be indoors during most of the sailing.

As far as guest services, my observation was a line every time I looked.  I had an issue I needed to discuss, so I went by guest services every day, several times a day.  The one time I waited in line was at 11:30 pm, and there were only four other guests in line before me.  The next time, I was only able to have a short wait time at midnight, two nights before the end of the cruise.  I tried calling guest services from my stateroom to take care of my situation, but I was always told I had to go to guest services in person.

I don't eat in the MDRs so that helped. There was a very large group on that cruise that didn't seem to pay for anything extra. That didn't help the crowds I'm sure.

I tried calling Guest "services" as well and was always told I had to go down there. Not quite sure why they take calls. A recording would have been answered faster and served the same purpose.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, Zippeedee said:

The real annoyances were the people that seemed to camp out in the Garden Cafe holding huge tables ALL DAY. There was one group causing a lot of disruption with pushing, line jumping and other annoyances, but for the most part I was determined to enjoy the journey.

Agreed.  It is annoying to have your plate of food, but have to wander around and around the entire cafe looking for an empty spot to sit, no matter what time of day. We ended up most days having to go outside to find a vacant table.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

Agreed.  It is annoying to have your plate of food, but have to wander around and around the entire cafe looking for an empty spot to sit, no matter what time of day. We ended up most days having to go outside to find a vacant table.  

On the morning of disembarkation we saw some guests that were part of a large group filling their thermoses with maple syrup to take home. Not kidding. 

47 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

On the morning of disembarkation we saw some guests that were part of a large group filling their thermoses with maple syrup to take home. Not kidding. 

LOL, that’s new one on me...

what type of group?

57 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

Is it really maple syrup or just high fructose pancake syrup? I would think cruise lines buy the cheapest.

4 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Is it really maple syrup or just high fructose pancake syrup? I would think cruise lines buy the cheapest.

4 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

They labeled it as Maple Syrup, but it definitely wasn’t (Canadian speaking here). But then that was just the icing on the cake of NCL lies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:28 AM, lanceholt said:

Of course I can see the difference, was just saying that if it was us, we would take the 25% refund, plan another trip with the 25% off future cruise, apply the $300 to any expenses we had IF we were to change airline/hotel arrangements and be done with it.  OF COURSE your mileage may vary.  Contacting an attorney is one's own decision, but letting anger build this high is not good for anyone's mental or physical health.  We had a mix up in docking time on a cruise we have booked in early Sept, we could have used our cancel for any reason insurance (that we ALWAYS purchase as it gives you flexibility) but decided to turn lemons into lemonade and enjoy our coming trip.

Wait—you weren’t even on this cruise and thought you’d chastise the people expressing frustration over a cruise they paid big money for only to have it cropped and changed a week before departure?!?! It must be nice to have that much money to be so blasé about other people’s expectations on large expenditures like this. 25% off a future cruise—especially with the company that screwed you the first time—is useless if you had no intention of cruising again. (Some people have broader interests than the same vacation over and over.) 

• Like 5

I did see a member of the same group take two heaping plates literally piled 5 inches high with walnuts over to his table as well as another member filling up a thermos with honey. Talk about adding insult to injury, I mean, I'd like to get one over on NCL too but reselling walnuts on eBay is not my preferred method. 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:30 AM, Slburrough said:

Hello all, I am "the brave lady on the Giverny to Rouen" shore excursion who informed everyone of the passenger meeting. FYI I asked the driver and tour-guide for permission before doing so and told them why I wanted the mic. We had a meeting with 35 passengers the day before in Bliss and agreed to help spread the word. 25 people on the bus passed me notes afterwards with their names, stateroom #'s and email addresses. I'm sorry if you felt I "disappeared quickly." After I made the announcement the NCL shore excursion girl came to the front and told off the tour guide for letting me make the announcement and I didn't want to cause her any more potential trouble. Once back on ship I passed the passenger information on to the potential class action organizers (not me I hasten to add). Yesterday our first formal letter representing 99 passengers went to Andy Stuart CEO of NCL.

You may be interested to hear that that evening Guest Services called "urgently" wishing to speak to me. Errol Bailey, Hotel Manager on the Getaway then called and had a long conversation with me. He had been told I had "taken the mic" to cause trouble. He cautioned me that the Captain had been informed of a passenger revolt and that Security had been informed. I was warned not to do anything similar the following day in Bruges.

Please add me to your list asabino28@gmail.com  Annette Sabino. Also have not received my 25% from them or the travel fees. When I called guest services after waiting an hour to speak to someone. All they can tell me is that they have received my information and they are working on it and have no time frame on when the reimbursement will occur as this is their busytime. 

On 5/16/2019 at 12:43 AM, PTC DAWG said:

LOL, that’s new one on me...

what type of group?

Why are people so reluctant to say?

Transatlantic, large group?   My money is on Mainland Chinese.  It's largely an incentive market with the factories paying an all in cruise price for workers 20 years removed from sleeping with swine.  Thank NCL marketing.

I always bring my own maple syrup on board.  The Gem first confiscated my jug on a recent Canal voyage then after its liberation, it was stolen.  They offered me Smuckers as compensation!

The only near mass market line to offer the real stuff is Cunard.  Not Princess, not HAL.

Yet on the low rent overnight ferry between Stockholm and Tallinn, they were serving it in the deluxe breakfast buffet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

She just left dry dock four days earlier than was scheduled. Just enough time to make a short cruise for travel agents to show off her new refurbishment upgrades.

Capture 2.PNG

Well there you have it!!! Makes one wonder for sure

Edited by njkate

Friday starts the next cruise from copenhagen/ Denmark. So not 4 days earlier.  Not sure in what time you can make it but you need about 2-3 days, I think. Maybe they have to test some things after dry dock and need longer. I don’t know. But the next stop at MarineTraffic is copenhagen Friday in the morning ( pilot 4am ).

• Like 1

If they finished 4 days early, why was it so imperative to cut our cruise 2 day short?  A 2 year old must be running this "cruise line".  More of this and NCL stock wont be worth the bubble gum that comes with it. 

40 minutes ago, JSSIII1970 said:

If they finished 4 days early, why was it so imperative to cut our cruise 2 day short?  A 2 year old must be running this "cruise line".  More of this and NCL stock wont be worth the bubble gum that comes with it. 

Dry Dock was scheduled to finish today----- it is a a long journey from Northern France to Denmark.  They actually sailed ONE hour late and finishing touches to Dry Dock are being completed as they sail.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Dry Dock was scheduled to finish today----- it is a a long journey from Northern France to Denmark.  They actually sailed ONE hour late and finishing touches to Dry Dock are being completed as they sail.

So, we were scheduled to go from NYC to the Azores (2561 miles) in five days and you are saying it will take them almost four days to go from Brest to Copenhagen (1097 miles)?  Not buying it.

5 hours ago, vwlmember said:

So, we were scheduled to go from NYC to the Azores (2561 miles) in five days and you are saying it will take them almost four days to go from Brest to Copenhagen (1097 miles)?  Not buying it.

It is 2 days/3 nights.  The Getaway left Brest Tuesday night and is scheduled to be in Copenhagen early Friday morning.

Edited by herdingdogmom
  • Like 1

The cost of lawyering is rarely worth the recovery in a case like this, especially since their lawyer will argue very convincingly they had no choice and have given generous compensation (25% is more than the reduced days, plus $300pp change fees... I would need to see a full accounting that someone could not cover their costs.)   The recovery is going to be actual financial damages only.  No court would give a punitive award on top of that for a case of failure to deliver promised goods and services.  By the way ship's registry does not determine where to file suit.  NCL's headquarters is in Miami, Florida and it is a US based business. (Holding company is based in Bermuda.)

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

The cost of lawyering is rarely worth the recovery in a case like this, especially since their lawyer will argue very convincingly they had no choice and have given generous compensation (25% is more than the reduced days, plus $300pp change fees... I would need to see a full accounting that someone could not cover their costs.)   The recovery is going to be actual financial damages only.  No court would give a punitive award on top of that for a case of failure to deliver promised goods and services.  By the way ship's registry does not determine where to file suit.  NCL's headquarters is in Miami, Florida and it is a US based business. (Holding company is based in Bermuda.)

This is what I found

. “Bait and switch” marketing is a fraudulent business practice that takes advantage of consumers. It is a form of false advertising under New York law. Bait and switch fraud can be the basis for a class action lawsuit, and if you have been the victim of a bait and switch marketing technique, you should contact an experienced consumer protection class actions lawyer immediately.