Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

53 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The ship doesn't get an AIS transponder till maybe a couple of months before initial sea trials, so I wouldn't expect that till early 2022.

😂😂😂 I doubt deliver42 was talking about an AIS signal... same as me... if RCI wants it on time... but right now they might not want it in fall 2022...

steamboats

On 5/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, Lloyd555 said:

Finally...

Thanks to Adam Crown for the heads up on FB. 

1280465309_icon1.thumb.jpg.4285dedffc5b873e2948ed3cefe9b682.jpg

1786475876_icon2.thumb.jpg.e083e760213472b44c17aa41c9e018f8.jpg

Thanks Lloyd! This made my day 🙂

Without an open bay in the shipyard, where are they putting this and other mega-blocks? Also, I don't recall seeing anything about a steel cutting ceremony for Icon.  It would have had to have taken place several months ago in order to get a block this size together at this point and I would have expected some sort of press release.

Did I miss something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overtyme said:

Thanks Lloyd! This made my day 🙂

Without an open bay in the shipyard, where are they putting this and other mega-blocks? Also, I don't recall seeing anything about a steel cutting ceremony for Icon.  It would have had to have taken place several months ago in order to get a block this size together at this point and I would have expected some sort of press release.

Did I miss something?

This keel section is (still) in Lithuania. 

Maybe we'll see a ceremony when it gets to Meyer Turku in Finland.

Interesting....

I thought that the steel cutting ceremony commemorates the fist cut of the first piece of steel.

A lot of times, it's remotely done.

Maybe it's just due to our unusual times.

Hopefully they have a keep laying ceremony.

Any idea of when this might be?

Hope that you're safe and well!

9 minutes ago, Overtyme said:

Interesting....

I thought that the steel cutting ceremony commemorates the fist cut of the first piece of steel.

A lot of times, it's remotely done.

Maybe it's just due to our unusual times.

Hopefully they have a keep laying ceremony.

Any idea of when this might be?

Hope that you're safe and well!

You are right about the steel cutting ceremony. For some reason with Icon I don't recall it being announced or shared with the public. Maybe RCI is keeping it a real top secret. At this point, it's past the that stage as small haul sections  are being constructed and shipped to the ship yard. The fact that the photo shared by Lloyd shows a section of a ship with its IMO being that of Icon makes it real fr sure.

I'm looking forward to seeing her come together.  RC has been talking about Icon forever.

If nothing else, it'll provide a distraction to the current environment.

Can't wait to learn more 🙂

First stell cut is sort of a media event... it has nothing to do with the start of the real production anymore. Today the blocks are built in separate places and then towed to the shipyard where they are assembled.

Recently some of the first steel cut events were celebrated at Neptun Werft in Rostock/Warenmünde where they build the engine room sections. But the ship was "assembled" in Papenburg.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know much about Icon yet, in regards to where it could be deployed?

Is it going to be cold weather designed? Hot weather? Mixture? Or maybe designed for a specific market (China/Europe?)

I just don't recall seeing anything on the ship really at all besides the fact its going to be LNG.

3 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Is it going to be cold weather designed? Hot weather? Mixture? Or maybe designed for a specific market (China/Europe?)

I just don't recall seeing anything on the ship really at all besides the fact its going to be LNG.

Little has been offered about this new class of ship.  

32 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Guess was Port Canaveral as PC will be getting Carnivals LNG ship

• 1 month later...

Icon of the Seas (Yard № NB1400) keel sections being transported from the pier Western Baltija Shipbuilding in Klaipeda, Lithuania to Meyer Turku.

📷 Gena Anfimov 

1700376985_IMO9829930GenaAnfimov4.thumb.jpg.02c9bbbb924e6bdba1fbef30e5ab4723.jpg

600421817_IMO9829930GenaNB1400.thumb.jpg.6f68a724d305ab89524128c096fd9204.jpg

850667885_IMO9829930GenaAnfimov1.thumb.jpg.251197ba84013a04eb2f50819a69f30b.jpg

1330590104_IMO9829930GenaAnfimov3.thumb.jpg.6c57d6adb1cb418bdfbc9810428cd1d0.jpg

1668215354_IMO9829930GenaAnfimov2.thumb.jpg.71c9548e1f81ae15a7e6a4e08a19ef5c.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

In somewhat related news, a couple of days ago the Trump administration approved LNG shipments by rail.   

There is reference to a yet-to-be-built storage terminal at a former explosives plant in New Jersey that will be used for exporting LNG to foreign countries however the proximity in the NE region could play a role for LNG ships sailing from the Northeast, something that Carnival has eluded to with their LNG ship.

Up to this point there was talk of barges carrying LNG to Port Canaveral but with rail now in play that could change too.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-06-22/lng-shipments-by-rail-approved-in-us-amid-pipeline-battles

I'd love to see 230K tons.That would make her bigger than Oasis class.

200K Tons puts Icon in alignment with what was said a while ago.

She will be larger than Quantum Class (roughly 168K tons) and smaller than Oasis Class (roughly 227K Tons).

This also means that design should be completed by now (even if finishes aren't selected and colors haven't been set).

But they already know what the spaces will be.  Does that mean that we should see some sort of reveal soon?

That would be a nice boost for cruising at a time when the news has been mostly negative.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, Overtyme said:

I'm looking forward to seeing her come together.  RC has been talking about Icon forever.

If nothing else, it'll provide a distraction to the current environment.

Can't wait to learn more 🙂

Aw but can they afford this new class given current crisis?

I mean Odyssey and Wonder are both in the works too. They should hold off until 2023 IMO.

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Aw but can they afford this new class given current crisis?

I mean Odyssey and Wonder are both in the works too. They should hold off until 2023 IMO.

It's not cash they they are having to pay.  Loans have already been finalized.

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's not cash they they are having to pay.  Loans have already been finalized.

yes but given possible delays with the other two as well as recovering from Covid and other stuff, I feel Icon should be pushed back - just my opinion.