Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

3 hours ago, Panda Monium said:

More 'frame' but unpainted in this photo. At least three deck high? On both sides or just one?

Gridin's Group January 2022 3.jpg

2 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

I get the impression, but could be off here, that the 'frame' is small on the starboard side (maybe just 2 decks high), but may be higher on the port side from looking at this photo and some others.

@Panda Monium Thanks for sharing these photos. Interring block with that framing again.  Whatever it is, please not a Magic Carpet 😀.

17 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Let's hope that it's for framing cabins or a window just for the heck of it.

example.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I like your idea👍. Perhaps multi level restaurant, variation of Play Makers or something.

@Tough as Leather Do I talk in my sleep at night? 😁  

Good ideas. 

@Tall-Cruiser I like these big windows on ships as well.

big atrim window 2.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, Lloyd555 said:
A good view of one of the cabin blocks in the foreground.
541422863_janne-petterikumpulainenjanuary620225.thumb.png.4e7401bf99432d795412073d53cb9912.png

That block in the top right corner with the big white frame is somehow associated with some of the block photos shared by @Panda Monium and a similar installed on the Starboard side recently. This one though from at least this photo and angle seems low. Could also be that the shot is far away.

D108101F-2BB1-4B40-800F-B8BDE4A97E8C.png

18 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

That block in the top right corner with the big white frame is somehow associated with some of the block photos shared by @Panda Monium and a similar installed on the Starboard side recently. This one though from at least this photo and angle seems low. Could also be that the shot is far away.

Those are the same block in both photos, installed on the port side. Although there looks like there is a frame on both sides, I wonder if these areas will be symmetrical.

A photo of the bow thrusters by Nello Vitello.

vitiello_nello.jpg

Edited by Tough as Leather
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tough as Leather said:

Although there looks like there is a frame on both sides, I wonder if these areas will be symmetrical.

I wondered about that after seeing the one on the Starboard side and the block with the cabins not yet installed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I think Icon is the first with 5 Bow thrusters for any current cruise ship, but is 5 typical in newer ship builds in general?

Oasis-class ships have 4 bow thrusters. I can't think of any ships with 5. That could indicate Icon is larger (maybe wider) than Oasis and requires more power to push her bow sideways. Or, Icon may be taller above the water. This creates more surface for the wind which also requires more bow thrust to counteract. Of course, Icon may simply have smaller thrusters than the Oasis-class's (which produce an incredible 7,500 horsepower each) and therefore Icon might require one more to produce the same force.

Also, MSC World Europa, which is almost the exact same size as Icon (205,000 grt vs 208,000 grt) only has 4 bow thrusters. So, 5 is definitely weird. I'd also guess, based on the shape of that block, that Icon will not have a typical bulbous bow. Instead, the ship will likely have a vertical bow like MSC World Europa, Nor Prima, Celebrity Edge. That seems to be the big trend in ship design these days. 

Edited by Fairsky84
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

My co-worker said that she saw a post with a photo mentioning the Icon in LinkedIn, but apparently it is gone now. Did anyone happen to see it? Not sure if the photo had the Icon in it. Just curious.

I have not. Royal better come out with their reveal before someone else does it for them. Wasn’t Quantum also leaked before Royal officially announced the image.

10 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Oasis-class ships have 4 bow thrusters. I can't think of any ships with 5. That could indicate Icon is larger (maybe wider) than Oasis and requires more power to push her bow sideways. Or, Icon may be taller above the water. This creates more surface for the wind which also requires more bow thrust to counteract. Of course, Icon may simply have smaller thrusters than the Oasis-class's (which produce an incredible 7,500 horsepower each) and therefore Icon might require one more to produce the same force.

Also, MSC World Europa, which is almost the exact same size as Icon (205,000 grt vs 208,000 grt) only has 4 bow thrusters. So, 5 is definitely weird. I'd also guess, based on the shape of that block, that Icon will not have a typical bulbous bow. Instead, the ship will likely have a vertical bow like MSC World Europa, Nor Prima, Celebrity Edge. That seems to be the big trend in ship design these days. 

Thanks for this feedback I find the ship building process very fascinating. 
Question if I may. Usually a ship has 2 or 4 (in the case of Oasis class) bow thrusters. For each set the blades face/alternate direction. That is to say 2 face right and the other 2 left. Perhaps for equal push right or left? In the case of Icon it would be 3 vs 2 and how would that work? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Tough as Leather said:

My co-worker said that she saw a post with a photo mentioning the Icon in LinkedIn, but apparently it is gone now. Did anyone happen to see it? Not sure if the photo had the Icon in it. Just curious.

44 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I have not. Royal better come out with their reveal before someone else does it for them. Wasn’t Quantum also leaked before Royal officially announced the image.

Yup. I saw it and did a screen grab of course. 😄

244578540_Linkenden0.thumb.jpg.3f9546bfe0503ff2156ac2d7ef4c3c75.jpg

And of course I had to ...

1815297129_Linkenden1.thumb.jpg.d5643db8114a0c3b45ad076a158b30db.jpg

The security staff were very nice to me. 😄

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Thanks for this feedback I find the ship building process very fascinating. 
Question if I may. Usually a ship has 2 or 4 (in the case of Oasis class) bow thrusters. For each set the blades face/alternate direction. That is to say 2 face right and the other 2 left. Perhaps for equal push right or left? In the case of Icon it would be 3 vs 2 and how would that work? Thanks 

That's not exactly correct. The propellers on the thrusters can push water in either direction either by reversing the spin of the propellers or by using 'variable pitch' blades, meaning the propellor blades are actually adjustable and can be set to push the water either port or starboard. 

Also, there are many ships—especially smaller or older ships—with only 1 bow thruster. And the Queen Mary 2 has 3 bow thrusters. So, an even number isn't necessary. And the number of thrusters has more to do with the size of the ship and the amount of thrust necessary to move it.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Wow! Very nice going Lloyd 😃. Outstanding!

I see that framing we’ve been speaking about. Bow looks like the recent Aida builds?

It looks like a Costa ship (with a yellow funnel) on the wall screen to the left and desktop screen in foreground .

moustache.jpg.4f6e109d0c7b3cca7804391fa378b902.jpg

The one on the right may be a TUI ship? 

This is the Silversea Silver Nova.

moustache.jpg.487a1b593d0ddc80040b30c1cdc9694f.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

44 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

It looks like a Costa ship (with a yellow funnel) on the wall screen to the left and desktop screen in foreground .

Thanks. Well too bad that it’s not Icon and thinking finally we have something to see 😃. The one to the right looks like a Disney ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Thanks. Well too bad that it’s not Icon and thinking finally we have something to see 😃. The one to the right looks like a Disney ship.

When you said.. "I see that framing we've been speaking about" I downloaded the pic.. blew it up.. scoured for at least 15 minutes.... trying to figure out what you are seeing as I saw the Costa and the Disney one.. and could not see what you were referring to. Then I finally decide to scroll down, and see that it was the Costa one you were referring to. I blame RCI for this 15 minutes I will never get back, because had they announced by now this would not have happened. 😂

Seriously though... this is killing me. The fun of speculating while looking at the blocks is now over for me. (keep those pics coming though HAHAHA) as I really just want Royal to announce. sailing in likely 18ish months, and still not taking bookings. ugh!

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

When you said.. "I see that framing we've been speaking about" I downloaded the pic.. blew it up.. scoured for at least 15 minutes.... trying to figure out what you are seeing as I saw the Costa and the Disney one.. and could not see what you were referring to. Then I finally decide to scroll down, and see that it was the Costa one you were referring to. I blame RCI for this 15 minutes I will never get back, because had they announced by now this would not have happened. 😂

Seriously though... this is killing me. The fun of speculating while looking at the blocks is now over for me. (keep those pics coming though HAHAHA) as I really just want Royal to announce. sailing in likely 18ish months, and still not taking bookings. ugh!

I’m with you on that. I was looking at Lloyd’s posting on my iPhone and got too excited without REALLY looking at the detail ship  image 😃.  
I thought Royal was going to announce something last week when they had a business update but nothing. So they keep saying soon. It’s about time, just tell us so that we can all start booking 😃.

1 hour ago, CanobieFan said:

Haha, what?! How long was this a thing. Guess it was the precursor to the North Star.

I guess. It broke free on it's sea trials.

Back to the drawing board

On 5/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Tough as Leather said:

You can catch a glimpse of the Icon of the Seas build in this screen grab  from a FinnXplorer video.

I like the viewpoint; being able to see the Icon of the Seas from in front and catch a glimpse inside. 

Too bad they didn't get closer. 😄

183916104_FinnXplorervideo-Iconinbckgrnd.thumb.jpg.469a9681702d428ef82d11d93c382f01.jpg

is that the sister to CCL Mardi Gras being built?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess. It broke free on it's sea trials.

Back to the drawing board

good because it would look stupid in my opinion having something sailing like a kite above the ship.

Also I do not like the look of the Magic carpet either.

Ship designing can get over the top just a bit.   I would like to see Icon not have an Aqua theatre but rather a Northstar in the back area up high.  Keep the ice rink and promenade.  Oh and perhaps move CATS to the new ship ( just kidding).

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I’m with you on that. I was looking at Lloyd’s posting on my iPhone and got too excited without REALLY looking at the detail ship  image 😃.  
I thought Royal was going to announce something last week when they had a business update but nothing. So they keep saying soon. It’s about time, just tell us so that we can all start booking 😃.

nope I was told on Symphony that Icon details won't come until summer with Wonder is over.

That is the "baby" right now that needs attention.  They want bookings for the fall and winter when she returns.