Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Very unlikely Icon will have higher passenger space ratio than O class, nor wider beam than O class. 

Well something has to be vastly different for it to be a new class, otherwise Icon could have just been an Oasis 7 or Oasis ultra. The difference can't be LNG, as Utopia is already going in that direction. And the superstructure design is likely to be similar with a split down the middle. So i guess it's something we don't know yet. 

8 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Well something has to be vastly different for it to be a new class, otherwise Icon could have just been an Oasis 7 or Oasis ultra. 

Pretty sure RCI and other lines have reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of size (and limits due to ports/etc) - so from now on it will be features (or gimmicks depending on how you look at it) to gather attention (and customers).

Biker, who is quite sure the marketing tag line for Icon will be "The first (insert new feature here) at sea".

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Pretty sure RCI and other lines have reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of size (and limits due to ports/etc) - so from now on it will be features (or gimmicks depending on how you look at it) to gather attention (and customers).

Biker, who is quite sure the marketing tag line for Icon will be "The first (insert new feature here) at sea".

True. I wonder what the tag line will be, 'The first underwater observatory at sea!' 🤣😂

11 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

True. I wonder what the tag line will be, 'The first underwater observatory at sea!' 🤣😂

So, I‘m. pretty sure Singapore has ship LNG ,Tauranga has just got it and it’s available at port Kembla . All Sydney needs is a barge .

It will go well with the new carbon neutral company island.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

So I pretty sure Singapore has ship LNG ,Tauranga has just got it and it’s available at port Kembla . All Sydney needs is a barge .

It will go well with the new carbon neutral company island.

Yes Singapore has an LNG ship. Not Icon 1 but 2 or 3 seem more likely!

It's pretty remarkable how little information or leaks we've had about Icon. With most other new classes of ships, I recall some images surfacing online, bits from outside design companies or contractors, even a photo captured on a cell phone from the shipyard of an internal document with an image of a ship. But with Icon there's been absolutely nothing. Not a single clue or image of what this ship might look like or what it will feature. Can't wait to see what RCI has planned.

1 hour ago, Fairsky84 said:

It's pretty remarkable how little information or leaks we've had about Icon. With most other new classes of ships, I recall some images surfacing online, bits from outside design companies or contractors, even a photo captured on a cell phone from the shipyard of an internal document with an image of a ship. But with Icon there's been absolutely nothing. Not a single clue or image of what this ship might look like or what it will feature. Can't wait to see what RCI has planned.

Weird how there's been no leaks, right... Lloyd555?

20220406_170135.thumb.jpg.ad5582c066a51791e5f029039af97198.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Anybody wonder why media articles are saying Utopia will the largest in the world in 2024, when Icon is supposed to be bigger than Oasis class ships? Could this be hinting that perhaps Icon class is not much bigger if at all than we thought?

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The few places which may have reported Icon being bigger than O class, have not done their research or may be relying on outdated info. Icon, for at least a year has been known to be “smaller” than O class. Passenger count wise, RCCL has for two+ years reported Icon having fewer passengers than O class in their SEC filings- they usually don’t lie in those documents. 

In that ttgmeda.com article, Bayley also said this. Is he using the word “biggest” loosely or actually also hinting something?

“We’ll do a huge trade event in the UK and Ireland – we’ll invite all of our travel partners to see the biggest, best, most stunning exciting product on the planet. I can’t commit on the date,” he said, adding: “But it’s going to be around October time."

6 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Is he using the word “biggest” loosely or actually also hinting something?

I think the former and again, it could be biggest at some thing, but passenger capacity is not likely one of them (especially now that Wonder upped the O class numbers a bit more). 

• Like 1

I've heard that it won't be as big as the Oasis-class, but that it will hold more guests. I've also heard they had to sacrifice/compress a lot of crew areas to make room for the LNG tanks, and that they wanted to put in something like an Aqua Theatre, but in the middle of the ship, and protected from the elements...because the Oasis-class Aqua Theatres have to close due to weather a lot.  It'll be interesting to see the final design.

Edited by miraflores

On 4/7/2022 at 11:10 AM, Tough as Leather said:

The kids and I had fun this morning with an 'updated' list. 😁

1508015030_finalshiplist.thumb.jpg.dce721aa9135b6c90dafb04ed2624914.jpg

This is kinda fun to see. Also reminds me that some RCI names are great, and others are absolutely stupid. 

In my opinion, the BEST names are all of the musical ones: Anthem, Ovation, Rhapsody, Serenade, Harmony. When will we get a "Melody of the Seas" or "Aria of the Seas"? And I'd love to see RCI celebrate a big anniversary by naming a new ship "Song of the Seas" in honor of their first ship "Song of Norway"?

The WORST names... Quantum and Spectrum. What were they thinking? Did they even bother to look up "quantum" in a dictionary? People think "quantum leap" means a huge step forward...which is how RCI used the name in their marketing materials. But it actually mean the opposite. It comes from physics and means an extremely tiny shift. And "spectrum"... what on earth is that supposed to mean? A collection? A wavelength? Just dumb.

Edited by Fairsky84
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

In this new image by matkustajalaivat, is that a block installed on the FERU!?

matkustajalaivat 1.jpg

I would say no. This area of the shipyard (yellow square) is behind / to the left of the drydock. Also I believe that this is one of the higher cabin blocks. Too soon for its installation. 🙂

1950707693_thisarea.thumb.jpg.c02f98fea6496c942b7fd3d0cb1c313d.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

There's a new live webcam across the bay from the Meyer Turku shipyard. Don't get too excited; it's pointed at the area behind/to the left of the drydock. 

People in the group from the neighborhood  - feel free to give us a wave now and then. 🖐

Thanks to Janne-Petteri Kumpulainen for the heads up.

https://youtu.be/1PaNCSVZ5Pc

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

There's a new live webcam across the bay from the Meyer Turku shipyard. Don't get too excited; it's pointed at the area behind/to the left of the drydock. 

People in the group from the neighborhood  - feel free to give us a wave now and then. 🖐

Thanks to Janne-Petteri Kumpulainen for the heads up.

https://youtu.be/1PaNCSVZ5Pc

Excuse me please, can you zoom in some more please 😃? All I can see is crane 10 and the other 😃

in all seriousness though, it’s good to know there is a Webcam nearby. I often wondered why they have a Webcam at Mayer WERFT and  not one in Turku.

9 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Excuse me please, can you zoom in some more please 😃? All I can see is crane 10 and the other 😃

in all seriousness though, it’s good to know there is a Webcam nearby. I often wondered why they have a Webcam at Mayer WERFT and  not one in Turku.

Don't be jealous, but I got to watch a small piece of Icon lifted and transported towards the drydock area. 😄

277689931_717997306115870_8984515933664470865_n.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

3 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Don't be jealous, but I got to watch a small piece of Icon lifted and transported towards the drydock area. 😄

277689931_717997306115870_8984515933664470865_n.jpg

Nice going. Where is the rewind and replay button 😃

I saw on the other site yesterday more progress being made in the dock and  so many blocks around the ship yard.