Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Ahhhhh come on man, just spill the beans.  Post the blue prints, as built, diagrams, contracts, renderings, elevations, and specifications.  It's not asking too much! 

It’s getting to you isn’t,the suspense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fairsky84 said:

I heard that Royal Caribbean removed one of the original Viking Crowns from the funnel of one of the original 3 ships when it was sold (Song of Norway, I think). If somehow they saved and stored that small lounge, I always thought it would be amazing if they incorporated it into one of their new ships and made it into a small museum of RCI memorabilia and history. 2vdkjLYjxuzdhh.jpg

Great ideas.  Or maybe even put in one of the big terminals

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

In regards to the ice skating rink, Icon's will be similar to recent one on our ships, in the way they are located towards the centre of the ship, because of guest flow and popularity. As you should know if you have been on a Royal cruise, if not please do because I can't recommend it enough, the ice skating is fairly unpopular as the location of it is pretty hidden, so with Icon and future ships we have found a way to make it so it is more included in the main areas of the ship. 

In regards to the so called "Sea - Plex", which I am guessing you mean the Aqua Theatre or the Waterpark, we could not in any way put the ice skating rink out in the open due to the immense heat in the majority of the locations we sail. I would like to think that we could find a way to do it but the main issues are heat and space on the open decks.

So, no there will not be a ship with a combo ice skating rink and Sea Plex area.

That's interesting that you say the ice rink will be in the center of the ship. We've been watching the build and, other than the grand theater at the bow, and a seating bowl in the bottom, back of the ship(that we assumed was the ice rink), we've not seen anything that would be an ice rink near the center of the ship. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Thanks @Nathan Graveson. I have wondered, what's the advantage of the Parabolic Ultra Bow versus more traditional raked bows? 

Also, I thought the ice rinks were usually located low and center in the hull because of the weight of the ice. It keeps the ship balanced and the center of gravity lower in the hull. Will this be different on Icon?

The advantage of the Parabolic Ultra Bow is that it is more hyrdrodynamically efficient than the regular raked bow. Basically what we have done is taken the normal bow style and wraped the area between the tip of the bow and the tip of the bulb in steel creating a flow of water around the ship rather than it gathering in the gap between the bottom of the bow and the bulb.

You are right about the ice rink, we have kept it in the same place due to the heaviness of the venue and also to bring the centre of gravity down. Icon and the future ships will all have the same layout when it comes to the location of the ice rink.

12 hours ago, soremekun said:

Thanks for your response.  This is what I mean by SeaPlex

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-activities/seaplex

I was wondering if there will be a SeaPlex area that also offers ice skating, laser tag, etc in addition to the regular SeaPlex activities.

Oh, sorry about that, we call it something different when we are designing the space, but the ice rink will be in the same place as usual, but SeaPlex will be developed into something a little different. Due to the weight of the ice skating rink we can not physically put it in the location you are talking about. But other features, I can not talk about in regards to new activities.

11 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I love 270 in the day and seeing the wake.

Will it have a rear facing lounge of some discrimination or the return of the Viking crown lounge?

So Icon will have a new version of the Aqua Theatre found on the Oasis Class ships, obviously, it takes up a considerable amount of space at the stern of the vessel, so it will not have a 270 style venue. I understand that many have wanted a bar around the funnel style venue again, but Royal go by the formula of, Evolution, Innovation and Revolution, which basically means we evolve existing venues and spaces, innovate new spaces and concepts and then revolutionise the industry with new and exciting ideas that help us to be the very best in the competition. 

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Ahhhhh come on man, just spill the beans.  Post the blue prints, as built, diagrams, contracts, renderings, elevations, and specifications.  It's not asking too much! 

Unfortunately, I cannot share anything remotely close to that, but all I am going to say is Icon Of The Seas will be the biggest and the best cruise ship, ever to sail the seven seas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

The advantage of the Parabolic Ultra Bow is that it is more hyrdrodynamically efficient than the regular raked bow. Basically what we have done is taken the normal bow style and wraped the area between the tip of the bow and the tip of the bulb in steel creating a flow of water around the ship rather than it gathering in the gap between the bottom of the bow and the bulb.

You are right about the ice rink, we have kept it in the same place due to the heaviness of the venue and also to bring the centre of gravity down. Icon and the future ships will all have the same layout when it comes to the location of the ice rink.

Oh, sorry about that, we call it something different when we are designing the space, but the ice rink will be in the same place as usual, but SeaPlex will be developed into something a little different. Due to the weight of the ice skating rink we can not physically put it in the location you are talking about. But other features, I can not talk about in regards to new activities.

So Icon will have a new version of the Aqua Theatre found on the Oasis Class ships, obviously, it takes up a considerable amount of space at the stern of the vessel, so it will not have a 270 style venue. I understand that many have wanted a bar around the funnel style venue again, but Royal go by the formula of, Evolution, Innovation and Revolution, which basically means we evolve existing venues and spaces, innovate new spaces and concepts and then revolutionise the industry with new and exciting ideas that help us to be the very best in the competition. 

Unfortunately, I cannot share anything remotely close to that, but all I am going to say is Icon Of The Seas will be the biggest and the best cruise ship, ever to sail the seven seas.

Looking at the construction of the ship the aqua theatre looks like it’s inside is this correct or will it have an open roof? Also there is a segment that looks like it’s on the stern of the ship and shows a rear infinity pool will this piece go on top of the aqua theatre? Are you allowed to give us any dimensions of the ship since the ship has already reached its max length and beam at waterline. Any clues on the Gross tonnage?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

I am going to say is Icon Of The Seas will be the biggest

Can you confirm that the number of berths which had been listed as 5600 for the last two years in RCL's SEC documentation is close to accurate? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ljwiphone said:

Looking at the construction of the ship the aqua theatre looks like it’s inside is this correct or will it have an open roof? Also there is a segment that looks like it’s on the stern of the ship and shows a rear infinity pool will this piece go on top of the aqua theatre? Are you allowed to give us any dimensions of the ship since the ship has already reached its max length and beam at waterline. Any clues on the Gross tonnage?

The Aqua Theatre is at the stern of the ship, very much similar to the Oasis Class ships, in fact, very much similar to the Wonder Of The Seas version. 

I can not talk about any new features of the ship and some things that are coming back, so you will have to wait and see. 

Dimensions wise, I can only say look at the Wonder's dimensions and that will give you a basis of what Icon will be size wise, but the announcement will tell all. Same with gross tonnage.

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Can you confirm that the number of berths which had been listed as 5600 for the last two years in RCL's SEC documentation is close to accurate? 

All I can say on the number of berths is that it has remained the same throughout the project, it just kept changing because we were messing around with layouts and that jazz, so it is as close to what is out there as possible.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

The Aqua Theatre is at the stern of the ship, very much similar to the Oasis Class ships, in fact, very much similar to the Wonder Of The Seas version. 

I can not talk about any new features of the ship and some things that are coming back, so you will have to wait and see. 

Dimensions wise, I can only say look at the Wonder's dimensions and that will give you a basis of what Icon will be size wise, but the announcement will tell all. Same with gross tonnage.

All I can say on the number of berths is that it has remained the same throughout the project, it just kept changing because we were messing around with layouts and that jazz, so it is as close to what is out there as possible.

Will it’s GT be significantly higher than that of wonder or fairly close to that of wonder?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

I would say, fairly close to Wonder.

I read online a few weeks ago where someone commented that it will be 10% larger. Not sure the source or accuracy of their statement since i only just quickly read it a few weeks ago. Would you say that comment was inaccurate?

2 minutes ago, ljwiphone said:

I read online a few weeks ago where someone commented that it will be 10% larger. Not sure the source or accuracy of their statement since i only just quickly read it a few weeks ago. Would you say that comment was inaccurate?

You know that's 23,865.7 GT heavier than Wonder, I will say it's around the 2%-3% range.

7 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

You know that's 23,865.7 GT heavier than Wonder, I will say it's around the 2%-3% range.

Around the 240,000 to 245,000. Will it be noticeably different to the oasis class or is it more of an oasis plus?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ljwiphone said:

Around the 240,000 to 245,000. Will it be noticeably different to the oasis class or is it more of an oasis plus?

Pretty close. I am looking at the plans right now and you are close. It is completely different to Oasis, it will have some similar features but it's completely different other wise.

1 minute ago, Nathan Graveson said:

Pretty close. I am looking at the plans right now and you are close. It is completely different to Oasis, it will have some similar features but it's completely different other wise.

Glad it’s very different! Hope it’s on the 245000 end just so they have more room to put more stuff in! Desperately want the 2 bedroom grands back since I like to cruise with my family and would love more suite stuff including a proper pool!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ljwiphone said:

Keep in mind that the size of these ships is limited to the dry docks they are built in. The Oasis-class barely fits in the Turku dry dock:

• Dock Length: 1,198 ft
  • Oasis Length: 1,181 ft

So, I don't think Icon will be considerably larger than the Oasis-class. In order for any cruise line to build a ship significantly bigger than Oasis/Icon class, they will either need to built it at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in France (it's dry dock is one of the largest in the world at nearly 3,000 feet long), or build it somewhere in Asia. But Asian yards have much less experience building cruise ships. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

The construction plans that I have seen have the AquaTheatre elsewhere.

The Boardwalk on deck 7 has that infinity pool and something else at its aft end.

Edited by Lloyd555

39 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

The construction plans that I have seen have the AquaTheatre elsewhere.

The Boardwalk on deck 7 has that infinity pool and something else at its aft end.

How did you see the plans? Is the 245000gt estimate around what you’ve seen? 

Many of us joined the various “….Blocks are in the House” thread because we are genuinely interested in the cruise ship building process. With the photos that are shared here starting with Lloyd then Panda Monium, Tough as Leather, Jean and others, we are thankful for their sharing. We look at those photos and try to guess, speculate and wish for some things we would like to see on a ship all in the spirit of fun here. I for one enjoy the ship building process and appreciate what Lloyd and others contribute. Thank you!

Let’s continue on that path.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser
  • Like 6