Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Hopefully she's no Epic😉

Royal would never do that. Generally speaking all Royal shops look very nice and smooth.

Epic- Now that is just ugly. So ugly that they knew it and stopped any new sister builds (from what I heard). I wonder why they never took her into dry dock to remove that Top Hat 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Royal would never do that. Generally speaking all Royal shops look very nice and smooth.

Epic- Now that is just ugly. So ugly that they knew it and stopped any new sister builds (from what I heard). I wonder why they never took her into dry dock to remove that Top Hat 😃

I still think the original Crown Princess was the smoothest ship of all time

tapatalk_1539393757770.jpeg.9dddb7f766ba9e1a9cd3ba732e6e6e3c.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

(from what I heard

They did, still the only ship NCL owns that was built by that yard.

16 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I wonder why they never took her into dry dock to remove that Top Hat

and remove The Haven?!  Sacrilege!  They won't do that, but it certainly does look like an afterthought.  Bliss, Joy and Encore look MUCH more integrated into the design.

As for Icon (to keep this somewhat on topic) - those complaining about the bow, that's just the "new age" design, a lot of the new ships have that bow design.  The Beluga forehead on the other hand...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

I believe this is actually Eden in the background and probably unrelated to an Icon venue. I imagine that they use the same design studios for all RCG brands, so you will see bits of celebrity here and there.

Although, I do hope we will see some form of rollercoaster/attraction on Icon too. That would truly separate it from oasis class, among other things. 

8 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

That one is the Bolt : Ultimate Sea Coaster for Carnival Celebration and then another one is being built for the Carnival Jubilee next year.

They showed Eden for a reason. Would be a good venue to have at that very large window tbh. Also the amusement park and taking things from across the cruise industry is a big hint at something like a roller coaster. They also showed iFly in that video aswell as the seaplex so wonder if they are coming. @Nathan Graveson @Lloyd555any hints?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

@Lloyd555

Using this panda post image by  Kirill Zitkevits, would the ship yard move most if not all of the pieces for the forward end of the ship to this location for easier access? 

571257875_KirillZitkevitsAugust172022pieceshereforfrontendofIconhintforJanne.jpg.30594edaf2fa40550225877920df381a.jpg

I don't think theres necessarily a correlation. They are building the dome at the back of the ship. Pieces for the back of the ship are all the way up by celebration. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

@Lloyd555

Using this panda post image by  Kirill Zitkevits, would the ship yard move most if not all of the pieces for the forward end of the ship to this location for easier access? 

571257875_KirillZitkevitsAugust172022pieceshereforfrontendofIconhintforJanne.jpg.30594edaf2fa40550225877920df381a.jpg

I am seeing mostly aft and upper (deck 16+) pieces in the rear corner of the yard and behind the dry dock, near icon.   Although there are 2 cabin blocks in that area resting up against a hall that arrived recently that may belong up front. 

So it's possible. It's hard to get a good view of those pieces in the location you marked.

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tough as Leather said:

@Lloyd555

Lloyd555 thank you so much for all the info.  I don't dare ask how you get it but I am so amazed and impressed...

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

i guess the short bow makes me wonder if the ship bounces more instead of gliding in waves.

In theory, this bow design should reduce the tendency to pitch up and down in waves.  Hydrodynamics are complex and ship behavior is the result of a lot of design decisions, but it shouldn't make things any worse than angled bow.

6 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Epic- Now that is just ugly. So ugly that they knew it and stopped any new sister builds (from what I heard).

The lack of a sister ship to the Epic stems from issues between NCL and the Shipyard and has nothing to do with the design.  Still, it seems like the cloud had a silver lining.  While I don't know if Epic's design has materially impacted her financial performance, it is hard to argue that the Breakaway based ships are generally more popular and less polarizing amongst cruisers.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ljwiphone said:

They showed Eden for a reason. Would be a good venue to have at that very large window tbh. Also the amusement park and taking things from across the cruise industry is a big hint at something like a roller coaster. They also showed iFly in that video aswell as the seaplex so wonder if they are coming. @Nathan Graveson @Lloyd555any hints?

Thankyou @Nathan Gravesonand @Lloyd555for the likes 😉 btw looking at the images it does look a fair bit larger. @Nathan Gravesonwhen we last estimated the size at 245000gt you were using utopias back end. Using icons back end would you say it is around the 250000gt mark because with the slight width increase, increased bow height, aqua dome height and cantilevered back end 250000gt seems fairly reasonable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ljwiphone said:

Thankyou @Nathan Gravesonand @Lloyd555for the likes 😉 btw looking at the images it does look a fair bit larger. @Nathan Gravesonwhen we last estimated the size at 245000gt you were using utopias back end. Using icons back end would you say it is around the 250000gt mark because with the slight width increase, increased bow height, aqua dome height and cantilevered back end 250000gt seems fairly reasonable.

I may have minced my words. Icon is around 2-3% smaller than the outgoing Oasis Class, however it is slightly longer due to the Parabolic Ultra Bow and Ducktail Stern. @Lloyd555 could back me up on this, but Icon is only around the 225,000 - 230,000 GT range.

2 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

I may have minced my words. Icon is around 2-3% smaller than the outgoing Oasis Class, however it is slightly longer due to the Parabolic Ultra Bow and Ducktail Stern. @Lloyd555 could back me up on this, but Icon is only around the 225,000 - 230,000 GT range.

A lot of GT suggestions floating around.

Someone showed me this a short while ago...

20220820_051907.thumb.jpg.7ecb0f7338674f80bdac280306031551.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

34 minutes ago, Panda Monium said:

A lot of GT suggestions floating around.

Someone showed me this a short while ago...

20220820_051907.thumb.jpg.7ecb0f7338674f80bdac280306031551.jpg

Well I can't top that answer. 😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

What? We know it’s larger. People at royal have said that already

• Like 3