Sky Princess or Caribbean Princess?

cherrytwist

Hi! My family recently took a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Royal Princess (our first cruise with Princess), and now we're planning to book our next one, this time in the Caribbean. We're booked on the Sky Princess in December, but we could take the same cruise with the same ports in July for basically half the price, but on the Caribbean Princess. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one we should pick? Thanks!

Sky Princess will be a brand new ship, less than two months after its maiden voyage October 20.

For those addicted to "new ship smell" that is a good thing. 

For those who believe it takes a full season or two of deployments for a new ship to work all the bugs out, not so good.

But since you have already been on Royal Princess to move down to Caribbean Princess with noticeably fewer amenities may be disappointing.

I don't know if you are sailing Western or Eastern Caribbean. Or early December or the actual week of Christmas or New Year. Certainly a cruise during those weeks will be much more expensive than the summer. Combine that with Caribbean Princess being a 15 year old ship and having its third major refit earlier in the year and you have your price difference. Well there is a third factor as well--the weather. Especially on the Western itinerary you are looking at brutal heat in July. Or possibly lots of rain in the Eastern Caribbean compared to December.

Unless you have a compelling reason beyond just price to cancel your December booking, stick with it. I think this is why I personally tend to book cruises (and most all vacations) at the last minute--no time to spend second guessing myself.

...and welcome to Cruise Critic by the way.

• Like 1

You will have a good time on either ship. Since you are speaking about family I believe you are traveling with school age children. I am assuming that your December cruise is over Christmas/New Year.

The Caribbean Princess is the better choice for youth. There are more pools with a pool area on deck 17 mainly for youth. My problem with the Sky Princess is that it lacks a Crooner's Lounge. The space is being used for a specialty restaurant. Crooner's not only provides very popular evening entertainment, but is also used during the day for reading or just sitting. The Sky also lacks a walking promenade deck if that is important to you. The Sky has 500 additional passengers.

Sailing in the Caribbean during the summer can be very hot with the sun just about directly overhead. The storm issue has already been mentioned. These are reasons for less demand, lower prices. Holiday cruises are in high demand and cost more. If you are speaking about a non-holiday December cruise pricing is higher because the Sky is a new ship.

• Like 1

If Caribbean Princess is a lot less; then take that ship now and you can sail Sky at another time.  I sailed Caribbean Princess in Feb;  Nice ship, with lots to do.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cherrytwist said:

Hi! My family recently took a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Royal Princess (our first cruise with Princess), and now we're planning to book our next one, this time in the Caribbean. We're booked on the Sky Princess in December, but we could take the same cruise with the same ports in July for basically half the price, but on the Caribbean Princess. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one we should pick? Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  :classic_cool:

Much will depend on what time of year you want to cruise.

Keep in mind July is hurricane/tropical storm season in the Caribbean.  

December gives you a nice break from cold weather at home.

While Sky Princess is the newer of the two, Caribbean Princess is still a very nice ship with lots to do.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just a little more info in case in makes a difference...our Sky Princess booking is over the week of Christmas. We have young kids so we need a time when they're off school, plus I want to have a good amount of other kids on the ship (and avoid cruises where adults go to get *away* from kids). I don't love the idea of cruising during cold and Norovirus season, so the summer seems appealing for that reason as well. We live in Southern California so getting away from winter weather isn't much of an issue. The Sky would be like $1800 a person and the CP would be like $1000 a person, so for the four of us, plus with airfare being more expensive in December as well, that's the big thing. We could take a whole other vacation with the money we'd save! But my son (11) loves the idea of a new ship and he's obsessed with having a Medallion so we're not even looking at non-Medallion ships right now, so our choices are kind of limited. I'm driving my husband crazy talking about this all the time, so I figured I'd come on here and ask you experts. 🙂 Thanks!

Edited by cherrytwist

I've done the Caribbean Princess twice in the last two years.  It's an older ship, but is maintained well.  I would sail on her again.  I'll be on the Sky next March.  Looking forward to trying a new ship.

I've done two Christmas cruises and really enjoyed both.  It is more expensive, but keep in mind you wouldn't have to cook or clean up Christmas dinner.  To some that's priceless. Princess does a lot of special little things at Christmas.

It comes down to Do you think it's worth the extra money for the Christmas cruise.  If not this time, I highly recommend doing one in the future. 

6 hours ago, cherrytwist said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just a little more info in case in makes a difference...our Sky Princess booking is over the week of Christmas. We have young kids so we need a time when they're off school, plus I want to have a good amount of other kids on the ship (and avoid cruises where adults go to get *away* from kids). I don't love the idea of cruising during cold and Norovirus season, so the summer seems appealing for that reason as well. We live in Southern California so getting away from winter weather isn't much of an issue. The Sky would be like $1800 a person and the CP would be like $1000 a person, so for the four of us, plus with airfare being more expensive in December as well, that's the big thing. We could take a whole other vacation with the money we'd save! But my son (11) loves the idea of a new ship and he's obsessed with having a Medallion so we're not even looking at non-Medallion ships right now, so our choices are kind of limited. I'm driving my husband crazy talking about this all the time, so I figured I'd come on here and ask you experts. 🙂 Thanks!

I’m 42 and have told my wife I won’t sail on anything with princess unless it is a Medallion cruise.  I can be persuaded to do a non-Medallion itinerary if it is going someplace I really want to see, but the 11-year-old in me loves technology and I can understand the attraction.  The Caribbean Princess may be older, but she is well cared for.  I think she is in dry dock now.  She will feel a bit smaller than the Royal, quite a bit smaller, but has some nice features. I love the shopping cart handle location of Skywalkers.  Great views.  There is a wrap around promenade, which is so pleasant to walk on a sea day.  Plenty of pools, and Princess is upgrading their kids and teen program areas during this dry dock.

The reason the Sky Princess sailing is so expensive is because it is over Christmas, it’s on a new ship, during a high demand vacation time.  It’s the perfect storm for higher pricing.  On the other hand a July sailing in the Caribbean will have a number of weather event considerations, and is kind of outside the normal Caribbean cruising season.

I think I’d stick with the December cruise and enjoy the new ship smell.

We have never sailed on one of the bigger ships but I've looked at the deck plans many times. Some folks seem to love to disparage Caribbean Princess but we did 14 day Circle Caribbean on her in March of 2018 and had a great cruise. I have reservations regarding the bigger new ships. I "think" they may have addressed the abysmal pool situation of the Royal on the new Sky Princess but... There are zero ocean view cabins and tiny balconies. It's a personal choice but I would sail CB - especially for that price difference.

Here is another vote for the Caribbean Princess. We have had 2 wonderful cruises on her. I love the size, the many indoor and outdoor spaces, especially the promenade deck walkway, and the wonderful crew we have encountered. I also agree with the benefit of having Skywalkers, a great place to relax during the day if it is hot or windy outside.

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

the new Sky Princess but... There are zero ocean view cabins and tiny balconies.

I doubt that this will change your opinion of the Royal Class ships, but I have noticed that there are ocean view cabins on the Sky Princess (and the Enchanted Princess).  There are only 6 of them on each ship, located on Deck 17 (Sun), forward facing, above the bridge.  This is a new area of rooms that didn't exist on the Royal, Regal or Majestic.  There are also some rooms on Deck 9 (Dolphin) with larger balconies  FWIW.

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I doubt that this will change your opinion of the Royal Class ships, but I have noticed that there are ocean view cabins on the Sky Princess (and the Enchanted Princess).  There are only 6 of them on each ship, located on Deck 17 (Sun), forward facing, above the bridge.  This is a new area of rooms that didn't exist on the Royal, Regal or Majestic.  There are also some rooms on Deck 9 (Dolphin) with larger balconies  FWIW.

I'll bet those cabins will be gone in an instant as soon as booking are available.

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Take Caribbean Princess in July;  it's a great ship; the medallion stuff works well on this ship.  The wifi if blazing fast; and it's a lot cheaper for you guys

The new builds are starting off with Ocean Medallion built in, so they will have the modern fast internet.

Thank you all for weighing in with your opinions!

I'm now considering doing the Regal Princess in December instead of the Sky, because it's just a bit cheaper and they have some connecting cabins available (our Sky cabins are next door to each other but not connecting). What do you all think? I'm concerned though because the Regal is a few years old now and doesn't seem to have been refurbished. 

5 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

the Regal is the Royal only a tad bit newer.  So if you enjoyed your time on the Royal you would have no problem enjoying the Regal.  

Pooh

Thanks, but didn't the Royal get refurbished recently?

4 minutes ago, cherrytwist said:

Thanks, but didn't the Royal get refurbished recently?

Yes, in December, 2018.  But then the Regal is a year plus newer than the Royal.  Also, don't think that the Regal being only being 5 years old would make that much difference in the quality of your cruise.  I have been on new Princess ships and old Princess ships and I have found that my cruise experience depends most on good A/C, good crew experiences, food being decent, and the itinerary.  So what a ship has or doesn't have (like a promenade or WS cabins or a Crooners Bar or kids' stuff) would affect my decision more.  What I am saying, is if you enjoyed the amenities on the Royal, you will enjoy the Regal and be prepared on what to expect of her.

Pooh

2 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Yes, in December, 2018.  But then the Regal is a year plus newer than the Royal.  Also, don't think that the Regal being only being 5 years old would make that much difference in the quality of your cruise.  I have been on new Princess ships and old Princess ships and I have found that my cruise experience depends most on good A/C, good crew experiences, food being decent, and the itinerary.  So what a ship has or doesn't have (like a promenade or WS cabins or a Crooners Bar or kids' stuff) would affect my decision more.  What I am saying, is if you enjoyed the amenities on the Royal, you will enjoy the Regal and be prepared on what to expect of her.

Pooh

Thanks for the advice!

6 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I have been on new Princess ships and old Princess ships and I have found that my cruise experience depends most on good A/C, good crew experiences, food being decent, and the itinerary.  So what a ship has or doesn't have (like a promenade or WS cabins or a Crooners Bar or kids' stuff) would affect my decision more.

Same here and when a ship falls down on one or more of those categories it can make for a miserable experience no matter what the age of the ship.

These occurred on both the Emerald & recently the CB.:classic_angry:

Once burned twice shy and it's the main reason why we stick with the newer ships almost exclusively. 

Our first Princess cruise, which made me love cruising again, was on the CB.  I think it is a great ship and it has been through a big dry dock or two so I cannot imagine why anyone would not be happy to sail on her.  We are also booked on the first transatlantic on the Sky and I know I will be equally happy about that ship as well.  The new ship experience is exciting, but I've been on older Princess ships and they were all great!