Decisions, decisions...

Looking at two cruises for next April. Freedom of the Seas to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and St. Martiin. OR Carnival Horizon to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. Carnival is considerably cheaper, but the only port I really am excited about is Ocho Rios(wife REALLY wants Jamaica). The other issue is I've never sailed Carnival, so a bit unsure of how the experience compares. The RCI itineraries for Jamaica don't really excited me so I've kind of written them off for the time being. Thoughts???

If your focus is on the ports, then I agree that Freedom has a vastly superior itinerary. 

If your focus is on the ships, then I don't think the difference between cruise lines is a great as you might think. You will have a great time on Carnival. Horizon is a brand new ship--and considerably cheaper. There will be lots to discover. You will find things on Carnival that you like better than Royal Caribbean. You will find things on Royal Caribbean that you like better than Carnival. The similarities outweigh the differences.

Based on what information you have provided, if it were me, I would give Carnival a try. I don't think you have much to lose by doing so.

Edited by MightyMike
  • Like 1

I agree with Mike, there's not much difference between cruise lines.The Horizon is brand new and I personally love going on newer ships with the latest, greatest technologies. IMO, the food is better on Carnival, especially LOVE Guy's Burgers by the pool deck. We always like going to Cozumel as there is a ton of activities to do. St. Maarten has come along since the hurricane destroyed it, but the best part of the island has done little since. Aruba is beautiful, but imo, there's not much to do there other than the beach and/or scuba. 

I think you will have fun on either one, but if it was a considerable price difference I'd have NO problem with going on Carnival.

Agree.. food is better on Carnival. The Horizon was a fantastic ship! I know others are telling you to go with the other itinerary, but it seems like you and your wife really want to go to Jamaica. There is no way I would do the other itinerary, if Jamaica is what you really want. 

I will not even bother to get off the ship in Falmouth. Ocho Rios on the other hand I have enjoyed a couple times, and would again. 

• Like 2

So, after consulting with D.W. (Allicat), looks like we're gonna go for the FOS in December and the Horizon in April. I'll get the upcoming November Rhapsody cruise paid, get Horizon booked, then start looking at FOS for a winter 2020. Win/Win. Trying real hard to get two a year in, a shorty in spring and a 7day plus in winter. Thanks for the input gang!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 7:36 PM, SailorJeff66 said:

So, after consulting with D.W. (Allicat), looks like we're gonna go for the FOS in December and the Horizon in April. I'll get the upcoming November Rhapsody cruise paid, get Horizon booked, then start looking at FOS for a winter 2020. Win/Win. Trying real hard to get two a year in, a shorty in spring and a 7day plus in winter. Thanks for the input gang!

Doing them both, I like it!

On 4/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, SailorJeff66 said:

A win/win for sure!