Formal night options....

I am New to Royal Caribbean but not new to cruising .  I am researching a cruise for some friends of mine.  Are there other less formal dining options on Formal nights?  Don't get me wrong they are always well dressed but being from Texas dressed up is starched jeans, button up shirts, boots and maybe a sport coat.  I know that will be fine most nights but being their first cruise I don't want them to feel out of place by being under dressed.  Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

If you wear “starched jeans, button up shirts, boots and maybe a sport coat” you’ll be more dressed up than a good portion of your fellow guests even on formal night. 😅

• Like 3

That's more dressed up than my husband and I typically are for formal nights. We usually do khaki's and a polo shirt or a button up collared shirt for formal night, blue jeans and a t-shirt for regular nights.

As for other options if you want to avoid the main dining room on formal nights, the buffet is an option and is free, or specialty dining is an option for an extra cost.

10 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I am New to Royal Caribbean but not new to cruising .  I am researching a cruise for some friends of mine.  Are there other less formal dining options on Formal nights?  Don't get me wrong they are always well dressed but being from Texas dressed up is starched jeans, button up shirts, boots and maybe a sport coat.  I know that will be fine most nights but being their first cruise I don't want them to feel out of place by being under dressed.  Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

No one cares anymore, formal dress is not enforced, you can dine wherever you want.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Thank you all for the replies, it sounds similar to NCL's dress code.  I am sure they will be happy to hear what I have to tell them. 

It is. Been on Royal for 30+ yr, first did NCL 20yrs ago. Now same same

36 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

That's more dressed up than my husband and I typically are for formal nights. We usually do khaki's and a polo shirt or a button up collared shirt for formal night, blue jeans and a t-shirt for regular nights.

As for other options if you want to avoid the main dining room on formal nights, the buffet is an option and is free, or specialty dining is an option for an extra cost.

My DH and I "dress up" only once during a cruise and that is if I am lucky.  He is a jeans and Harley t-shirt kind of guy and we are far from formal.  The main reason we stick with NCL.  

Since sailing RCCL I wear black slacks and a "smart casual" or sort of fancy top every night except 1st and last.  Those 2 nights I normally wear jeans (never starched) and a casual top.  Always dressed up on formal nights on Celebrity.  As Bob posted no one seems to care thus the relaxed atmosphere.  Hope they enjoy their cruise

6 hours ago, TSUmom said:

My DH and I "dress up" only once during a cruise and that is if I am lucky.  He is a jeans and Harley t-shirt kind of guy and we are far from formal.  The main reason we stick with NCL.  

No problem. He'd fit right in with the RC crowd. 

We just dine someplace else out of respect for the people who do go all out.  I know I would feel odd being either over or under dressed but that is my 2 cents.  Most of the time we have found the buffet or other options more to our liking anyways.

But people are all different whatever way  you  go you will not be alone that is for sure!

9 hours ago, TSUmom said:

That will be perfectly OK for Formal Nights on RCCL cruises.  

In fact ... you'll be better dressed than most.

Enjoy!  :classic_cool:

10 hours ago, TSUmom said:

Formal Dress is only a recommendation. You will see folks dressed in shorts sitting next to guys in tuxes. No one cares. You're on vacation. No need to get dressed up unless you really want to. 

Is there lobster at the buffet?

I have not seen lobster in the buffet other than many years ago on Crystal.  However most of the time the Lobster is not very good.  To me I don't even bother ordering it on a cruise ship where it is included.