Sorry about this but.........

clarets

Another dress code question and that is p&o say no trainers on casual nights, does this mean trainers as in tracksuit bottoms or footwear because if it is footwear I find this strange as I have a few pair of smart adidas that cost over £100 per pair which is more than the cost of most pair of shoes and also they say CASUAL NIGHT !

15 minutes ago, clarets said:

Another dress code question and that is p&o say no trainers on casual nights, does this mean trainers as in tracksuit bottoms or footwear because if it is footwear I find this strange as I have a few pair of smart adidas that cost over £100 per pair which is more than the cost of most pair of shoes and also they say CASUAL NIGHT !

Shoes, I'm afraid, regardless of cost.

It's not what they cost that counts (that would rule out a lot of the cheapo DJs!) but the way they look.

• Like 2

I've cruised with P&O for over 10 years and never heard of this dress code rule. Is it a recent thing? My 17 year old doesn't own a pair of shoes that aren't trainers (due to disability) Is this for adults only?

5 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I've cruised with P&O for over 10 years and never heard of this dress code rule. Is it a recent thing? My 17 year old doesn't own a pair of shoes that aren't trainers (due to disability) Is this for adults only?

Disabled children and adults are exempt.

You should see what I wear/have to wear. 

• Like 1

You don't have to wear shoes on the casual nights, trainers are just fine, I do wear shoes but also like the comfort a more formal trainer provides, saying that the ones I wear are all black.

13 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

You don't have to wear shoes on the casual nights, trainers are just fine, I do wear shoes but also like the comfort a more formal trainer provides, saying that the ones I wear are all black.

I think black trainers fulfil the criteria for casual but also the criteria for smart. Bright orange or fluorescent green trainers for example fulfil the criteria for casual but in many peoples’ eyes, and presumably in P&O’s eyes, they do not fulfil the smart criteria. A bit similar to smart black jeans fulfilling the criteria whereas ripped ones don’t, even though the ripped ones may cost more.

12 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I think black trainers fulfil the criteria for casual but also the criteria for smart. Bright orange or fluorescent green trainers for example fulfil the criteria for casual but in many peoples’ eyes, and presumably in P&O’s eyes, they do not fulfil the smart criteria. A bit similar to smart black jeans fulfilling the criteria whereas ripped ones don’t, even though the ripped ones may cost more.

The dress code's very clear and specifically excludes trainers for casual:

"Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits."

Ironically, though, there's no specific bar on trainers for 'Black Tie' or formal nights!  

25 minutes ago, docco said:

The dress code's very clear and specifically excludes trainers for casual:

"Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits."

Ironically, though, there's no specific bar on trainers for 'Black Tie' or formal nights!  

Also, I don’t really think P&O are the slightest bit interested or impressed by how much the trainers cost 😂😂

• Like 1

Shows how out of touch some people and p&o are, adidas are a smart expensive item of clothing the ones I own are smart fairly plain but not black( I have more taste).I could go to various lower range shops and buy a pair of cheap looking shoes for a tenner and they would be ok, I get the formal bit where you have to be looking the part expected but this is casual nights I am asking about, this reminds me of the hotels we have been in where shorts are barred in the evening meal( I agree with) yet people are allowed in with cheap shabby three quarter pants on and yet the m&s shorts that can cost much more are not allowed, very out dated!!

4 minutes ago, clarets said:

Shows how out of touch some people and p&o are, adidas are a smart expensive item of clothing the ones I own are smart fairly plain but not black( I have more taste).I could go to various lower range shops and buy a pair of cheap looking shoes for a tenner and they would be ok, I get the formal bit where you have to be looking the part expected but this is casual nights I am asking about, this reminds me of the hotels we have been in where shorts are barred in the evening meal( I agree with) yet people are allowed in with cheap shabby three quarter pants on and yet the m&s shorts that can cost much more are not allowed, very out dated!!

To be fair, In the most part I agree with you. I guess you are at the younger end of the spectrum and P&O want to attract a younger demographic but fail to move with the times. I see P&O as Basil Fawlty, they want your business but don't want the "Riff-Raff" element, hence the no football tops or hen party type T shirts but fail to see that most under 40's wear jeans, T shirts and trainers as smart wear and the cost of some of the designer casuals runs into the £100's. Companies like Google, Facebook, Instagram etc don't have specific dress codes even for their top execs because they have moved with the times.

I totally get your frustration that a £10 pair of George at Asda shoes passes, yet a pair of Adidas trainers doesn't. It makes me laugh when you see people on formal nights dressed up in their finery bought in the 1970's which is acceptable but a pair of Gucci tailored shorts isn't acceptable on casual nights. But them's the rules and the fashion Police don't operate on P&O.

58 minutes ago, clarets said:

I think this has been brought up a number of time possibly for the last 20+ years. Trainers are not exactly a new item of clothing. I have been turned away from a number of establishments when I was walking but only able to walk in certain trainers. Not sure you are going to change anything yet.

This has nothing to do with the cost of the ‘banned ‘ items. It’s the items themselves that cause offence.

I’ll wear trainers quite happily walking around our village, but I wouldn’t dream of turning up to a restaurant, or hotel, or a cruise for that matter, in them. I’ll readily admit, though, that that’s an old fashioned attitude.

But then P&O caters primarily for people with exactly that attitude, and if they’re offended by the sight of trainers then the ban has some purpose.

Times change, though, as do customers, and in due course trainers will be perfectly acceptable, and formal nights will vanish forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi

My wife and I feel that standards have dropped somewhat over the years, and if we wanted to see football shirts with logos, we would have booked to go to a northern seaside resort.  Smart casual always wins the day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

Hi

My wife and I feel that standards have dropped somewhat over the years, and if we wanted to see football shirts with logos, we would have booked to go to a northern seaside resort.  Smart casual always wins the day.

I wasn't aware that football shirts with logos were the exclusive preserve of northern seaside resorts. Must make mental note to avoid. Thank you for the heads up. 😖

3 hours ago, clarets said:

Good afternoon Clarets.

I'm not so sure about either 'people' or P&O are. We all have our own views and you are equally entitled to yours.

I do own a pair of Adidas 'trainers' in black...

1018005261_AddidasStanSmithsOriginals.thumb.jpg.b5687b26385db478106d8f88a9b986cf.jpg

...a product I share with Paul McCartney I believe.

Personally I wouldn't dream of wearing them on any cruise ship after 6.00pm: though such is their walking comfort you may well see me in them on shore days when not in sandals.

P&O do have a problem but only in as much that they are trying to maintain a standard and there are always some onboard who want to push the boundaries.

I'm sure there are some cruise lines that wouldn't  bat an eyelid if I were to wear them in the evening,  and that's why I don't cruise with those lines.

Happy cruising.

Richard

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moonstone01 said:

Hi

Low standards in northern seaside resorts?  Ever been to Southend?  Or Clacton?  Or Hastings or Ramsgate?

Or, by contrast, Scarborough? 

P&O's certainly downmarket, I agree, but that's what happens when you have to appeal to the mass market to fill your ships.

44 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Good afternoon Clarets.

I'm not so sure about either 'people' or P&O are. We all have our own views and you are equally entitled to yours.

1018005261_AddidasStanSmithsOriginals.thumb.jpg.b5687b26385db478106d8f88a9b986cf.jpg

Personally I wouldn't dream of wearing them on any cruise ship after 6.00pm: though such is their walking comfort you may well see me in them on shore days when not in sandals.

P&O do have a problem but only in as much that they are trying to maintain a standard and there are always some onboard who want to push the boundaries.

I'm sure there are some cruise lines that wouldn't  bat an eyelid if I were to wear them in the evening,  and that's why I don't cruise with those lines.

Happy cruising.

Richard

I'm with you - not evening wear at all.  But times are changing.

• Like 1

•  
  •  
  • 891 posts
1 hour ago, moonstone01 said:

Hi

Low standards in northern seaside resorts?  Ever been to Southend?  Or Clacton?  Or Hastings or Ramsgate?

Or, by contrast, Scarborough? 

P&O's certainly downmarket, I agree, but that's what happens when you have to appeal to the mass market to fill your ships.

I live in Southend.  I do not own a football shirt.  I do however own several rugby shirts.

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Good afternoon Clarets.

Happy cruising.

Richard

Looks like you might own them, but haven't warn them judging by the laces and tag 🤣

NB I'll wager that the original poster won't have a clue who Stan Smith is, but I suspect you saw him in his prime 😉

Edited by Tom Baker
addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

This is the kind of dress code I like!

IMG_2130.JPG

And as i stated earlier, folk will really push the boundaries.

My wife and I recently sailed with Star Clipper and dress onboard was an education...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/11/04/star-clipper-java-sea-limited-edition-cruise/

It was a yachties world where day wear generally became evening wear and flip flops were exchanged for sandals and a splash of after shave.

Of course there was little or no 'elegance' except for a number of English couples who fortunately set the bar a little higher than they would normally experience.

And as I remarked in my summary, those europeans could certainly teach P&O  first sitting folk a thing or two as the restaurant doors opened. 😀

12 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Looks like you might own them, but haven't warn them judging by the laces and tag 🤣

NB I'll wager that the original poster won't have a clue who Stan Smith is, but I suspect you saw him in his prime 😉

Ah, tis an old photograph taken on delivery day: my photo info shows 6 September 2015. 😈

I also saw Paul McCartney in his prime too. 😀

• Haha 1