How much would you pay for Haven?

11 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

OK, that was my understanding.

So the difference is really the extended menu, rather than the room service fee.

Yes sort of...in 2015 it only applied to certain items and certain times.  Now it's on everything except the coffee and certain pastries in the morning.  If you want a hot breakfast it will cost you.

Just now, Nolanoel said:

Yes sort of...in 2015 it only applied to certain items and certain times.  Now it's on everything except the coffee and certain pastries in the morning.  If you want a hot breakfast it will cost you.

You can get more than coffee and pastries free in the morning. The free continental breakfast items include cereal, yogurt, fruit, pastries, juice, and milk as well as coffee and pastries.

When I last looked, the room service menu didn't have anything cooked except for a couple of omelettes, which you had to pay the charge on. I didn't think that a hot breakfast was really even an option outside of those couple of things.

Based on my knowledge, I would have said that a benefit of being in a suite (if you are interested in room service) is that you have much more options available to order for breakfast, and for other meals you save the service fee. Plus of course the option of getting meals from the restaurants served in your room by the butler in the evening.

1 hour ago, Nolanoel said:

Both my husband and I feel that the size of the room is what is of paramount importance to us....Pricing on MSC is driving me toward making them my next try - suites and drinks for appreciably less than NCL has.  

Be aware that MSC doesn't have as many stateroom options for the Yacht Club as NCL has for the Haven. On Seaside, only the Royal Suites (only 2 of those type) have a separate livingroom/bedroom in the Yacht Club. Even the Royal Suite only has 1 bathroom.

We enjoy both the Haven and Yacht Club so I can recommend both. Just be aware of the differences.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Be aware that MSC doesn't have as many stateroom options for the Yacht Club as NCL has for the Haven. On Seaside, only the Royal Suites (only 2 of those type) have a separate livingroom/bedroom in the Yacht Club. Even the Royal Suite only has 1 bathroom.

We enjoy both the Haven and Yacht Club so I can recommend both. Just be aware of the differences.

We like that most suites in the Yacht Club are small because that means that there are less children there than in the Haven.

• Like 1

For us Haven provides a really relaxing cruise. It’s hard to place a dollar value on the experience and as platinum we get a lot thrown in anyway.   Dollar wise it is hard to give an exact number or accounting.  It really depends on what you want a vacation for.  Our last cruises were on the Escape last summer and Breakaway over Christmas.  Escape was a 2 Bed in the Haven, Breakaway was a Spa Balcony.  Both cruises were 3 people.  If you travel with a teenager and want some elbow room, there isn’t much choice.  Can you fit in the balcony, yes, can you get up at 6 am and let everyone sleep in or get ready for dinner easily,,, not so much.  How does one value that? 

For my daughter, there were big differences.  One she had a pot of hot chocolate delivered each day, the other she had to listen to me snore.  Guess how she would vote.

Both vacations were pretty fun and memorable, the  Haven was memorable for being more relaxing as you don’t have to worry about anything.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Harratine said:

For my daughter, there were big differences.  One she had a pot of hot chocolate delivered each day, the other she had to listen to me snore.  Guess how she would vote.

Ask her to pay for it and it may adjust her voting pattern. 

Agree about Haven experience being tied to the ship.  For the “Jewel” ships, I think full suite cabins offer better value than the Haven cabins.  On the “Jewel’ class ships, the Haven is tiny. The full Suite cabins have access to the concierge (which are fantastic in doing about everything in planning your day’s activities, from planning ship dining, ship entertainment, excursions, taking care of any customer service issues, etc.  Plus, Suite passengers get to eat breakfast and/or lunch  in Moderno and/or Cagney’s.

I did that on the GEM in a full aft suite for less than $4K. Great experience.

The “Away” and “Away Plus” ships all have bigger and nicer Haven facilities over the other ships, and end up being the better value.

It really is a much better cruise experience to not have to take care of anything on your own, to not have to be restricted to the more crowded pool and bar areas of the ship, to have the “best seats in the house for all the major shows, to get on and off the ship before anyone else, to have access to any food on the ship set up in your cabin by the Butler, be served by the best bartenders on the ship in the Haven bar, have the best stewards taking care of your room every day, etc.

39 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi JamieLogical,

As we plan to cruise in Haven, the first thing is to know the ship we choose.

Overall cruising experience differ from ship to ship (Epic, Getaway, Bliss, Etc.)

The Haven experience depends on the ship too.

If you want to have a "true Haven experience", you will look at the ships with Haven Observation Lounge (Bliss/Joy/Encore) that is a different league (far above Epic-Breakaway-Escape):

Norwegian Bliss

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

However, Getaway and Breakaway provide overall better cruising experience (just better ships) outside the Haven.

My opinion: the Haven and other similar "luxury" enclaves on cruise ships are intended primarily for those who don't care about money spent on a cruise.

But Logically....

Some people believe the Haven is a Wonderland of cruising.

It's not.

Speaking of value-for-money, it's a huge waste of money.

Let me suggest that you book one of the good cabins with a large balcony on Breakaway or Getaway (NCL best ships to date), pay for their excellent spa, get your specialty dining package, and that will be your Haven.

How much more would I pay for the Haven?

Not more than $300 pp (for the whole 7-day cruise) vs regular balcony.

I do overpay for the luxury gimmicks from time to time just for the experience (to know what is going on in the world of cruises)🙂

Happy cruising!

Excellent post. I've thought the same thing. That it's geared towards people who don't care about the cost. Who may otherwise book a $15k beach vacation and aren't comparing it to a $2500 standard room. 

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For some, it is. Everyone is different.

As noted, ship choice (even stateroom choice) makes a difference.

Agree.  So many generalizations here.  It really is just a matter of preference.  If you find value in a pot of hot chocolate, larger room, separate rooms, fewer people, etc.  then the Haven is worth every dime  - to you.  If you don't care much about room location, size, waiting in line, etc....you will see it as a poor value.  At the end of the day - people who are willing to spend 15k on a vacation and not blink an eye probably aren't on an NCL ship anyway.  I have never come close to spending that on an NCL ship (for 3 passengers)...If I could pay that I would probably be looking at another line - like Regent where even shore excursions are covered.  The OP's original question asking how much is it worth - so hard to answer - 5 pages of responses proves that.  It's an individual preference.  

• Like 2

On my last cruise on Dawn we met a couple in a suite like Haven whose butler because they asked what he expected as a tip told them something between 250-500$ for the cruise over and above gratuities and tips to concierge etc .

they said he never did anything special for  them ...nor did they ask for  anything .....to me that amount was outrageous plus they paid the upgrade to the suite ....the whole thing was very expensive ..iMO not worth it 

they asked me if they could refuse the service of the butler ...I did not know 

i.m perfectly content with balcony no butler 

is the amount above accurate ?do they really expect that kind of money ?it seems excessive to me 

who has experience ?

1 minute ago, Minoushka said:

On my last cruise on Dawn we met a couple in a suite like Haven whose butler because they asked what he expected as a tip told them something between 250-500$ for the cruise over and above gratuities and tips to concierge etc .

they said he never did anything special for  them ...nor did they ask for  anything .....to me that amount was outrageous plus they paid the upgrade to the suite ....the whole thing was very expensive ..iMO not worth it 

is the amount above accurate ?do they really expect that kind of money ?it seems excessive to me 

who has experience ?

I would not have paid it. I only tip extra for really good service. 

Every opinion counts but I would counter the point that people traveling in the Haven don't care about the cost.  Nothing could be further from the truth in my world.  I am booked in the Haven on Encore but I booked 1.6 years prior to sailing in order to make the payments.  I did get a steal on an Epic Haven once but her inaugural year, I paid an outrageous amount for a penthouse.  Its like people who drive very expensive cars and you scratch your head how they can afford it.  Yes there are people in the Haven who have no financial concerns in the world.  And YES, there are people like me who are blue collar and middle class who sacrifice to book those kinds of cabins especially today.  I do agree with the huge increase in prices, the Haven has lost much of its shine and bang for the buck. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Minoushka said:

who has experience ?

I have sailed in suites on the Dawn many times.  Also sailed Haven.  Never given that kind of money as a tip.  The butler and concierge are not in the tip pool; however, you tip them in line with how much you ask of them.  I used my last concierge in the Haven a ton - he was great.  My butler only brought treats and took care of my coffee.  I tipped both - more to the concierge.....but nowhere near that amount.  

12 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Every opinion counts but I would counter the point that people traveling in the Haven don't care about the cost.  Nothing could be further from the truth in my world.  I am booked in the Haven on Encore but I booked 1.6 years prior to sailing in order to make the payments.  I did get a steal on an Epic Haven once but her inaugural year, I paid an outrageous amount for a penthouse.  Its like people who drive very expensive cars and you scratch your head how they can afford it.  Yes there are people in the Haven who have no financial concerns in the world.  And YES, there are people like me who are blue collar and middle class who sacrifice to book those kinds of cabins especially today.  I do agree with the huge increase in prices, the Haven has lost much of its shine and bang for the buck. 

Amen buddy!  That's me too.  I save for my Haven trips.

• Like 1

It's all about perspective - what are YOU looking for on your vacation.

In January we were in our first inside room on the Breakaway & still had a blast on our trip. Prior to that we had only done the suites & haven on all of our trips. We really enjoyed the extra space & perks. The service was always incredible!

Once we realized we had just as much fun paying a lot less I think we will continue to book lower rooms unless there is some incredible deal or a good priced bid option.

We are working on budgeting here with a kid starting college this fall lol. If we didn't have all these upcoming expense we would continue to book higher rooms (suites/haven).

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nolanoel said:

I have sailed in suites on the Dawn many times.  Also sailed Haven.  Never given that kind of money as a tip.  The butler and concierge are not in the tip pool; however, you tip them in line with how much you ask of them.  I used my last concierge in the Haven a ton - he was great.  My butler only brought treats and took care of my coffee.  I tipped both - more to the concierge.....but nowhere near that amount.  

Not in the tip pool. meaning they get no tips from anywhere. I hope they get paid a lot more than other staff positions.

Just returned from the Haven on the Joy.  Overall, it was great, food, service, facility, etc.  A few nits, but an excellent product.  The problem with the Haven is, the whole ship is not the Haven.  The rest of the ship had very little appeal for us.  It all depends on what you're looking for in a cruise as many have said.  I think, generally, if you're going to spend that much (and you don't care about go-carts, water-slides, video arcades, etc.) you're better off on Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, Greenpea2 said:

Continental breakfast items are free. Hot/cooked items there is a delivery charge.

Yes, but what are those hot items?

As I said earlier, when I last looked, there wasn’t the option of a cooked breakfast on the standard room service menu other than a couple of omelettes. Can you get a full cooked breakfast now?

13 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, but what are those hot items?

As I said earlier, when I last looked, there wasn’t the option of a cooked breakfast on the standard room service menu other than a couple of omelettes. Can you get a full cooked breakfast now?

F8F9E716-A9A5-4E22-AADF-14968E2C7511.jpeg

24 minutes ago, shellsrus said:

Just returned from the Haven on the Joy.  Overall, it was great, food, service, facility, etc.  A few nits, but an excellent product.  The problem with the Haven is, the whole ship is not the Haven.  The rest of the ship had very little appeal for us.  It all depends on what you're looking for in a cruise as many have said.  I think, generally, if you're going to spend that much (and you don't care about go-carts, water-slides, video arcades, etc.) you're better off on Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, etc. 

This post demonstrates one of the reasons why some people book the Haven, which is rather different from others.

Based on posts on these boards, there seem to be a proportion of people who book Haven rooms who otherwise would not want to cruise on NCL. Basically, the standard NCL product doesn’t appeal, and the choice isn’t between Haven or a standard room, but between the Haven and no NCL cruise at all.

I suspect that you fit into that category (apologies if I am wrong).

There is obviously nothing wrong with that, but that decision seems to be quite a bit different than someone who enjoys the standard NCL product and is considering whether to pay the extra for the extras. I assume (and apologies for all these assumptions) that you would pay a significant amount extra for the Haven over a standard room, and for you a standard room may not be considered value for money.

That makes it quite a different basis for valuing the two options.

Speaking for myself, I really enjoy the standard NCL product, and the extras that you get in the Haven add very little to it. Much of that can depend on what we do when we are aboard.

For example, a few people on this thread have stated a benefit is not having to queue for things. I very rarely queue for anything on a ship, and those queues must be happening somewhere else. If I wanted to do whatever it is that all these people are queueing for then maybe the Haven would seem more appealing.

Each to their own basically.

Just now, Greenpea2 said:

F8F9E716-A9A5-4E22-AADF-14968E2C7511.jpeg

Yes, that’s basically what I have seen before.

It really seems to me that the difference is much more the selection rather than the charge. Basically, if you are in a standard room you can’t get much of a cooked breakfast even if you are willing to pay, but if you are happy with cold stuff then it is delivered free.

I wonder how many people actually pay $7.95 for an omelette or French Toast. I suppose some people must do, and if there is more than one person wanting some then the charge isn’t too bad per item.

If I was ever to order room service breakfast I would probably just get some toast, but it seems you can’t have that no matter how much money you want to spend.