First Suite experience recap

3 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Well I think that is just it. Royal's fault. Royal, Royal, Royal... so why blame the Pinnacles that have the same right as the suite guests. Royal lists them both as "Exclusive access to the suite lounge." It comes down to.. if one doesn't like that, then cruise with someone that has what you want. I know that is what I would do if I didn't like a policy, that I felt affected me.

I’ve never blamed Pinnacles for anything other than possibly not permitting (gasp)non Pinnacle Suite guests to join their little clusters.   If I recall, a poster here DID do something, while onboard, regarding a few issues.  I don’t think that poster was congratulated for doing so.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I have suggested, that the SL/CK should be limited to Suite Guests and say, top 25 cruisers based on points. 

Just an idea and my opinion. I know this would not be popular to most P’s but to a few, would be very popular. 

Or, they could turn CK into a specialty restaurant.   Star gets specialty, it seems a lot of Sky does specialty, so the Pinnacles could still eat there with a Suite guests.  Everyone pays for it.   

1 minute ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I’ve never blamed Pinnacles for anything other than possibly not permitting (gasp)non Pinnacle Suite guests to join their little clusters.   If I recall, a poster here DID do something, while onboard, regarding a few issues.  I don’t think that poster was congratulated for doing so.    

I know you didn't, and when I used the term "you" it was meant in general. No one, including P's should be nasty in any of the lounges. Everyone that is entitled to be there should be welcomed, including kids. (this is coming from someone who does not like kids) Don't get me wrong, I know there are snotty people, but they can mostly just be ignored. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mikew0805 said:

I know you didn't, and when I used the term "you" it was meant in general. No one, including P's should be nasty in any of the lounges. Everyone that is entitled to be there should be welcomed, including kids. (this is coming from someone who does not like kids) Don't get me wrong, I know there are snotty people, but they can mostly just be ignored. 

True.  I’ve learned to ignore snotty people too.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I don’t know how many Pinnacles we had on our sailing.   We were going to the C&A event but dozed off on deck.  That event, by the way, ended up being opened to the entire ship.   That evening, we overheard a bit of grumbling about that in SL.   

Top Tier Event and Welcome Aboard were combined on our sailing also, so was open to all.  If you didn't get there early, there were no seats to be had.  We prefer the events to be split.

1 hour ago, hazence said:

It’s not “exclusive” but it is worded as if it is. In fact, let’s look at the proportion of suites to rooms on Oasis:

Royal Caribbean Cruises - Oasis of the Seas

Complete List of Staterooms and Suites

This is a list of all the cabins and suites onboard Royal Caribbean Cruises's Oasis of the Seas. Please click a cabin number below for more details about that particular cabin. Please note, cabin decor and size may vary among cabins in these categories. All descriptions are general as it relates to a particular category.

Number of Decks: 15
Number of Categories: 52
Suites 194
Balcony Staterooms 1793
Oceanview Staterooms 257
Inside Staterooms 495
Total Number of Staterooms 2739
Accessible Staterooms 51
Connecting Staterooms

Now out of 2739 staterooms, only 194 are suites. That should mean that there would be plenty of opportunity for those paying a premium price to cruise...to use the amenities allotted to that class of cabin. But RCCL has diluted these amenities by opening them to an unknown (at time of booking) potential mass of others. It’s like booking a restaurant room thinking it will be a-private party and the restaurant crams in anyone else they want who walks in the door.

Their wording is deceptive in their marketing.

This will sort itself out. RCCL will have to find a solution in order to keep their suite customers coming back instead of choosing a competitor.

More than half of that Suite count is JS's who do not have access to the SL

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

True.  It also doesn’t say that you won’t be able to use the SL because it’s overcrowded with Pinnacles either, does it?    Royal wants the Suite business.  They also like the bragging rights they have by saying, look at John and Mary Doe, they like us do much they’ve been cruising with us over 2500 nights.  Royal wants both business. With the current SL/CK model, it seems they’ll run out of space.    Can everyone share that space?    Of course.   Can it be shared without the eye rolls, bullying and clustering?   Doubtful.  

Bullying is a stretch, but the other two are not in the Passenger Code of Conduct or whatever they call it.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

More than half of that Suite count is JS's who do not have access to the SL

That’s even more proof of my point. Looking at the low eligible “suite” count, and the use of the word “exclusive” in the marketing, there is little to warn those who don’t frequent this website...that overcrowding and suite guests being “excluded” from the suite lounge because of that overcrowding, is often a real possibility these days.

If this situation continues to undermine the Suite Experience for RCCL cruisers, it will undercut suite revenue for RCCL.

Those spending the money required for a suite have many options on other lines...because their status and exclusive amenities are bought, not earned..Whereas Loyalty customers, Pinnacles, have earned amenities not “bought” for that cruise.

Suite customers don’t need to stay “loyal.”  They can go wherever their money buys them the best experience.But Pinnacles  have to stay loyal to keep their “benefits” and status.  If they get reciprocal and go to another line...how long until that line is overcrowded as well? These loyalty programs are becoming a boondoggle.

RCCL will then find a way to remedy the situation. I think this will happen sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I have suggested, that the SL/CK should be limited to Suite Guests and say, top 25 cruisers based on points. 

Just an idea and my opinion. I know this would not be popular to most P’s but to a few, would be very popular. 

What if 8 of the top 25 are already in suites?

6 minutes ago, hazence said:

That’s even more proof of my point. Looking at the low eligible “suite” count, and the use of the word “exclusive” in the marketing, there is little to warn those who don’t frequent this website...that overcrowding and suite guests being “excluded” from the suite lounge because of that overcrowding, is often a real possibility these days.

If this situation continues to undermine the Suite Experience for RCCL cruisers, it will undercut suite revenue for RCCL.

Those spending the money required for a suite have many options on other lines...because their status and exclusive amenities are bought, not earned..Whereas Loyalty customers, Pinnacles, have earned amenities not “bought” for that cruise.

Suite customers don’t need to stay “loyal.”  They can go wherever their money buys them the best experience.But Pinnacles  have to stay loyal to keep their “benefits” and status.  If they get reciprocal and go to another line...how long until that line is overcrowded as well? These loyalty programs are becoming a boondoggle.

RCCL will then find a way to remedy the situation. I think this will happen sooner rather than later.

I agree somewhat, really looking forward to msc yacht club then a royal suite on celebrity which has similar perks as star suites on rccl. But no other line has the entertainment, plays , music of rccl, I like trying other lines but rccl entertainment keeps me coming back. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What if 8 of the top 25 are already in suites?

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.  Most of the Pinnies I know sail in suites.  

And what if you have aready booked the cruise expecting to have SL/CK access as a Pinnacle, then you board and find yourself at P#26...and is that just one pax or both in a cabin?  😮😉 

Edited by island lady

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.  Most of the Pinnies I know sail in suites.  

And what if you have aready booked the cruise expecting to have SL/CK access as a Pinnacle, then you board and find yourself at P#26...and is that just one pax or both in a cabin?  😮😉 

Obviously a work in progress

• Like 2

We recently cruised on Harmony in a GS and didn’t have any of the issues folks mention here. No overcrowded lounge, no packed CK, no obnoxious kids running around the suite area, no little groups snickering and staring.  Nada. I feel deprived. It was so bad we couldn’t even tell apart the pins vs the suite guests - exception one family which was far too condescending and obnoxious to be pins.

Our suite stay was, in all aspects, a normal experience. Not perfect, but enjoyable. When reading threads like this I get the impression some people look for reasons to complain, or set their expectations too high. 

Just my $0.02

Edited by El Abuelo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Same as they do now on many ships with overwhelming numbers of high tier status. Other locations and overflow. It wouldn’t change a thing from normal. 

11 minutes ago, El Abuelo said:

We recently cruised on Harmony in a GS and didn’t have any of the issues folks mention here. No overcrowded lounge, no packed CK, no obnoxious kids running around the suite area, no little groups snickering and staring.  Nada. I feel deprived. It was so bad we couldn’t even tell apart the pins vs the suite guests - exception one family which was far too condescending and obnoxious to be pins.

Our suite stay was, in all aspects, a normal experience. Not perfect, but enjoyable. When reading threads like this I get the impression some people look for reasons to complain, or set their expectations too high. 

Just my $0.02

Since I started this thread, my initial post #1 was not complaining.    I loved the cruise.   As I stated, we’re hooked on the suite life.   I stated, and will continue to state MY observations on what I feel could be improved.  This IS, after all, a website called CruiseCritic.   

• Like 3

Another great thing about CK, the staff there will remember what you liked during a meal and ask if you want that same thing during your next visit.   If it’s on the menu or not.  It might be as simple as fruit.  We really liked that.  The MDR at times is just so rushed for the staff, it’s surprising they have time to refill your water glass.   CK staff truly does go that extra length for you.   

21 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It would only apply to those not sailing in Suites. Suites (cabins) are a fixed number any given cruise. P’s are not. 

In my opinion

With 90+ full suites, I'll bet suite occupancy rates vary quite a bit depending on the time of year, so they really aren't that fixed. 

That's a fact, not an opinion

20 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Same as they do now on many ships with overwhelming numbers of high tier status. Other locations and overflow. It wouldn’t change a thing from normal. 

You really think they are going to restrict half a couple from having lounge perks? 🤣

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

Since I started this thread, my initial post #1 was not complaining.    I loved the cruise.   As I stated, we’re hooked on the suite life.   I stated, and will continue to state MY observations on what I feel could be improved.  This IS, after all, a website called CruiseCritic.   

Thread probably went off track when unfounded stereotypes were brought up. 

I'm truly happy you had a great experience,  dont let others taint it with their silly crusade 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

Another great thing about CK, the staff there will remember what you liked during a meal and ask if you want that same thing during your next visit.   If it’s on the menu or not.  It might be as simple as fruit.  We really liked that.  The MDR at times is just so rushed for the staff, it’s surprising they have time to refill your water glass.   CK staff truly does go that extra length for you.   

Do you recall how many waiters they had at dinner? 7 seems to be the typical number. That usually covers around 15 guests.

2 hours ago, hazence said:

I didn't know that you could get free cruises to magically earn Pinnacle status.  Maybe that is because you can't.  Even using the bonus points and conversion calculations, a lot of $ were spent attaining that status.  Why is that so easily dismissed?  

Bottom line is that RCI has a feature/benefit and they have decided to offer it to a valued customer (high $ suite or long term loyal customer) in a way they have determined benefits them.  Not much different than how they have one or two flowriders on ship to attract any or all cruise passengers.  If I show up and the flowrider has a huge line do I run to cruise critic and complain that my paid for attraction was unfairly monopolized by the people that got there ahead of me?  No, it is what it is.  Does it matter that I am in a JS and the people in front of me are in a deck 3 inside stateroom and live within walking distance of the port? No.

I would really like to know how many times this precious piece of ship space has been so crowded that a eligible guest has been turned away and couldn't get their precious free drink.  If the place was overflowing with people was there an attempt to try again after dinner (assuming the visit was combined with a trip to CK) and again get rebuffed?  How big of an issue is this?

59 minutes ago, El Abuelo said:

Just my $0.02

And there we have the reality of the situation.  In my opinion.

• Like 1