Diamond ?

picomullet

One of the perks of Diamond that I have read is a one-time cabin upgrade.  Would that be like from an OV to a Balcony?  Just curious.  I know some upgrades are like 8A to 8B, I guess that would be within the same category?  Just need a little explanation of this.  Thanks!!

picomullet:  I made Diamond level in 2018 and when I called Carnival to book my cruise for this year, I used my one time upgrade for reaching Diamond status and Carnival bumped me from an ocean view room on the Main deck to a balcony room on the Lido deck, WOO HOO.

• Like 2

It is a CATEGORY upgrade, so Interior -> Oceanview -> Balcony. They say it has to be booked within 1 year of hitting diamond for a sailing within 2 years of hitting diamond.  From Carnival's website:

One-time complimentary category-type upgrade on applicable booking. Upgrade varies by ship class and is subject to certain category restrictions and exclusions. Does not include upgrade from balcony to suite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tattoos said:

picomullet:  I made Diamond level in 2018 and when I called Carnival to book my cruise for this year, I used my one time upgrade for reaching Diamond status and Carnival bumped me from an ocean view room on the Main deck to a balcony room on the Lido deck, WOO HOO.

No wonder Carnival can get away with offering such limiting perks. When someone is this excited over being moved from an Oceanview to a Balcony as a one time upgrade for spending 200 nights with the company, it’s clear Carnival has their market cornered.

• Like 1

Can this upgrade be used on a cruise separate from the cruise that we get our 25% onboard credit on? Also, my husband and I both will turn diamond on the next cruise. Will we receive 2 separate upgrades or one combined?  

Thanks

1 hour ago, didugger said:

Can this upgrade be used on a cruise separate from the cruise that we get our 25% onboard credit on? Also, my husband and I both will turn diamond on the next cruise. Will we receive 2 separate upgrades or one combined?  

Thanks

Two separate upgrades. We used them on 14 and 15 day cruises to go from o/v to balcony.

OBc has nothing to do with this perk

13 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Two separate upgrades. We used them on 14 and 15 day cruises to go from o/v to balcony.

OBc has nothing to do with this perk

Yeah!!  We were thinking we should have 2 since we were both turning diamond.

xDisconnections:  I am always thankful for any perks Carnival offers, regardless of monetary value or what someone else perceives as useless.  I am happy to be Diamond and will accept any perks that Carnival wants to extend.  I do not cruise for the perks but cruise to spend quality time with my family and loved ones.  Any perks that come my way, I am very grateful for.  Do I think Carnival can offer long time devoted cruisers perks that are more significant, perhaps, but I don't care one way or the other.  I cruise Carnival because it fits my likes and the ports are an easy drive from my Florida home.  I love the unlimited wash and fold for Diamond members more than anything else they can offer.  They can keep the lanyards, packing cubes, mugs, etc.  I cruise a lot with my grandson so unlimited wash and fold, priority tendering, and chocolate covered strawberries are high on my list.  Some people are not happy no mater the freebie.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, didugger said:

Thanks

The 25% OBC is for reaching your 25th cruise milestone and is totally separate from reaching 200 cruising days to become Diamond. We didn't get Diamond until our 26th cruise. You and your partner can each use your 25% OBC on the same cruise if you want a 50% OBC.

I was Platinum a long time ago, and had my 25th Milestone quite a while back (reaching Diamond in October).  I didn't use my 25% OBC until well past the 2-year expiration on that.  Saved it for my Horizon TA last May.  It was in an inside, but as a solo, it was still a nice OBC.

Not sure when I'll use my Diamond upgrade.  Seems like a waste to go from inside to OV (I don't even like OV cabins).  Am booked on the Legend final Med/TA B2B in October 2020 in a French Door (interior).  Wouldn't want to move from that to a regular OV!

So, at some point, I'll probably book an OV and take an upgrade to Balcony, hopefully when I have a friend sailing with me and I'll do the free steakhouse dinner when I have company.

I absolutely do not sail for any perks.  Priority embarkation is nice, but 3 of my last 5 sailings have been on other lines where I don't have high status, and boarding with the masses wasn't such a big deal.  Only time I've ever used the laundry perk was on Vista inaugural (13 nights) and Horizon TA (14 nights following 14 nights on NCL Star).

But I'm just SO EXCITED to get my Diamond Luggage Tags!! 😄

• Like 4

21 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

No wonder Carnival can get away with offering such limiting perks. When someone is this excited over being moved from an Oceanview to a Balcony as a one time upgrade for spending 200 nights with the company, it’s clear Carnival has their market cornered.

I am a big fan of Carnival; however, I am well aware their loyalty program is one of the worse, if not the worst, in the industry. The reason I continue to cruise on Carnival is because I have never had a bad cruise on their ships and I like the atmosphere on their ships. The fact that I am currently Platinum has little to no impact on why I continue to cruise on Carnival, and I doubt that will change when I reach Diamond. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am a big fan of Carnival; however, I am well aware their loyalty program is one of the worse, if not the worst, in the industry. The reason I continue to cruise on Carnival is because I have never had a bad cruise on their ships and I like the atmosphere on their ships. The fact that I am currently Platinum has little to no impact on why I continue to cruise on Carnival, and I doubt that will change when I reach Diamond. 

I’m glad you enjoy Carnival and continue to have great experiences with them. I hope that never changes. Once upon a time, I was what used to be called a “Carnival cheerleader” here on CC but things sometimes change.

It’s without a doubt, Carnival is lucky to be able to provide such benefits at a huge devaluation simply because their passengers accept them as an amazing perk like a one time marginal meta upgrade as referenced above.

I do look forward to meeting you on the Victory though... maybe I’ll be lucky and my opinion would change.

My docs for October still show Platinum although I'll turn Diamond during the cruise.  Doesn't matter as long as I get my Diamond card when I board.  And get my luggage tags! 😋

Honestly, I wasn't sure I'd get to DIamond.  I've been pretty burned out with Carnival for a while.  Same things on every ship, from Fantasy to Horizon.  Just more people with some additional places to eat/drink and additional things to do that I never do anyway on the larger ships.

Have really enjoyed HAL; loved my only NCL (Star TA last May), and have now been on 2 consecutive MSC sailings (Divina and Armonia).  That was a different experience, for sure, but I personally quite enjoy the European flair on MSC.

Plus, since I'm often solo, I actual do NOT pay 200% on HAL, unlike Carnival.  Not sure why, but when I look at sailings that at first appear to be out of my price range, once I log in, there's usually at least a 30% discount, which makes it affordable.  And I liked the one NCL sailing enough that I bought a Cruise Next certificate, so I'll need to use that within the next 3 years.

Anyway, besides this October, I just booked for next April (hoping to return to Havana and keeping figures crossed that DC doesn't lock us out again), then the Legend B2Bs for October 2020.  So I'll keep sailing Carnival if the price and itinerary are right.  But I highly recommend that people try other lines.  Just for a slightly different experience (even without the perks!).

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That is me also.   I truly love the Carnival experience!!...I just turned Platinum, but honestly would cruise Carnival no matter what the loyalty program.  

I did try RCCL on the Allure of the Seas and really didn't care for that experience, so I definitely will be sticking to Carnival...next one is next April on the Breeze.

FWIW, I even have a free offer from RCI that gives me a very nice selection of Balcony rooms this year on many of their ships for free....I seriously considered taking one, but my experience on the Allure really turned me off to them.

20 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

...Doesn't matter as long as I get my Diamond card when I board.  And get my luggage tags! 😋...

What luggage tags?

Oh...I see...

VIFP Club luggage tag set (presented once at Diamond level)

Guess I better ask where those are. 

Edited by Davey Wavey

On 6/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, xDisconnections said:

I’m glad you enjoy Carnival and continue to have great experiences with them. I hope that never changes. Once upon a time, I was what used to be called a “Carnival cheerleader” here on CC but things sometimes change.

It’s without a doubt, Carnival is lucky to be able to provide such benefits at a huge devaluation simply because their passengers accept them as an amazing perk like a one time marginal meta upgrade as referenced above.

I do look forward to meeting you on the Victory though... maybe I’ll be lucky and my opinion would change.

Who cares if your opinion changes. If not, have a great time on a cruise line that devalues your loyalty. I know my next one will be fun.

Edited by Lottacruises

2 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Who cares if your opinion changes. If not, have a great time on a cruise line that devalues your loyalty. I know my next one will be fun.

Unfortunately won’t happen this time around... I ended up cancelling that trip with the Cuba itinerary change.

Me too, and I don't blame you. That 50$$ obc will go a long way on my rebooked cruise, lol. 

A friend was on a Cuba cruise when the announcement came, she received back port fees. I wish I could have made it, to Cuba, but better luck next time... to all of us.